ADVERTISEMENT

Vacationing By Yourself

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
If you were/are single living in Kentucky and wanted to take a trip less than a day of driving away, where would you go? I recently went through a divorce after nearly 24 years of marriage. I never really got to go anywhere I wanted to go because it was always a family vacation. Well now's my chance. It just feels weird thinking about traveling by myself for the first time since I was in the Air Force nearly 30 years ago.

I thought about a cruise, but with it being hurricane season, I'm not sure if I want to risk it. Plus I'm not sure if you can find reasonably priced last minute cruises. I'm not a sit around at the beach type of person. So I don't think that would be a choice. I'm a fan of sight seeing. I've been wanting to see DC for a while, but the hotel costs might be an issue. Plus the weather will be changing pretty soon if I don't go in the next few weeks.

Got any suggestions based off of your experiences?

Reactions: Hank Camacho
Do you have hobbies? As I look back on it, I have never really taken a "vacation" by myself but I travel alone for work or for hobbies all the time.

I love to take a good immersive course for a solo trip. I've done cooking courses, shooting courses, etc. Since there was a group and a goal, the socialization was easy and came naturally.

Reactions: KyCatFan and Mossip
I've been wanting to see DC for a while, but the hotel costs might be an issue. Plus the weather will be changing pretty soon if I don't go in the next few weeks.
That's a good thing, imo. East Coast is a great fall roadie. Start in DC and work your way up to Manhattan.

(Assuming you like history/museums. I'm a nerd.)

I was going to say, if you're interested in DC, you might as well make a trip going up the east coast. DC to Philly to Manhattan to Boston. You could even head into the ADKs/Vermont/NH/Maine to really see the fall season.

Reactions: Mossip and KyCatFan
Well, I use to take trips by myself, looking to do some myself. Day trips or three day trips, Recently divorced after several years.

Pigeon Forge
St. Louis
Nashville
Evansville
Indianapolis

I’m thinking of doing a cruise, but you need to book it out some or look for specials a couple weeks out.

Love to fly in somewhere on East coast and drive through towns up coast to Maine…somewhere along there.

Do you have hobbies? As I look back on it, I have never really taken a "vacation" by myself but I travel alone for work or for hobbies all the time.

I love to take a good immersive course for a solo trip. I've done cooking courses, shooting courses, etc. Since there was a group and a goal, the socialization was easy and came naturally.
I've been trying to pick up new hobbies, but most I struggle with doing them by myself. I need to take some classes in something. I use to like to draw but don't do it much anymore. Thought maybe being in a class with others might help get/keep me motivated. The same goes for music. Was trying to learn the guitar, but just isn't as fun to do by myself. I played in band back in school and enjoyed it while being around others. Lately woodworking is my newest attempt at a hobby. Not sure if that one could translate to a vacation trip.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
If you were/are single living in Kentucky and wanted to take a trip less than a day of driving away, where would you go? I recently went through a divorce after nearly 24 years of marriage. I never really got to go anywhere I wanted to go because it was always a family vacation. Well now's my chance. It just feels weird thinking about traveling by myself for the first time since I was in the Air Force nearly 30 years ago.

I thought about a cruise, but with it being hurricane season, I'm not sure if I want to risk it. Plus I'm not sure if you can find reasonably priced last minute cruises. I'm not a sit around at the beach type of person. So I don't think that would be a choice. I'm a fan of sight seeing. I've been wanting to see DC for a while, but the hotel costs might be an issue. Plus the weather will be changing pretty soon if I don't go in the next few weeks.

Got any suggestions based off of your experiences?
UP, Painted Rocks, Michigan
Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan
Asheville, NC
Chicago, IL
I'm just a fan of cities. The architecture boat tour is great. Plus, I just love driving around. Ukraine Village, Wrigleyville, the Gold Coast. The Aquarium. The Art Institute.
DC in season is brutal. Yellow Fever and Malaria used to be endemic there.
The Ozarks are within a day's drive.

That's a good thing, imo. East Coast is a great fall roadie. Start in DC and work your way up to Manhattan.

(Assuming you like history/museums. I'm a nerd.)
That's why I have been thinking of DC. I like going to museums and seeing historically important places/things. Just heard the hotels near the subway were really expensive and that you didn't want to drive everywhere. I'm not sure I'm ready for a multi state sightseeing trip yet. I probably would have to do New York another time. I don't like to feel rushed. Did like a 3 day trip to Chicago (field trip with my son's fifth grade class years ago) and felt rushed and missed out on a lot. Maybe I just needed to do a trip on my own that I planned.
I was going to say, if you're interested in DC, you might as well make a trip going up the east coast. DC to Philly to Manhattan to Boston. You could even head into the ADKs/Vermont/NH/Maine to really see the fall season.
Was stationed up in Maine back in 91. Not sure I want to go back that far up in the Northeast again. Maybe New York or Massachusetts is about as far as I'd go. Unless I just want to mark off more states that I haven't been to yet.

That's why I have been thinking of DC. I like going to museums and seeing historically important places/things. Just heard the hotels near the subway were really expensive and that you didn't want to drive everywhere. I'm not sure I'm ready for a multi state sightseeing trip yet. I probably would have to do New York another time. I don't like to feel rushed. Did like a 3 day trip to Chicago (field trip with my son's fifth grade class years ago) and felt rushed and missed out on a lot. Maybe I just needed to do a trip on my own that I planned.

Was stationed up in Maine back in 91. Not sure I want to go back that far up in the Northeast again. Maybe New York or Massachusetts is about as far as I'd go. Unless I just want to mark off more states that I haven't been to yet.

Yeah Maine is probably pretty far if you're starting in DC. But I will say, Portland ME is a damn underrated city. Some of the best breweries, seafood and restaurants I've been to. The nice thing about Portland, it's only like 2hr from Boston. You're not really going INTO Maine, instead more or less on the border.

Yeah Maine is probably pretty far if you're starting in DC. But I will say, Portland ME is a damn underrated city. Some of the best breweries, seafood and restaurants I've been to. The nice thing about Portland, it's only like 2hr from Boston. You're not really going INTO Maine, instead more or less on the border.
I was basically in Canada when I was in Maine. It was pretty remote. I remember gas being like $.30+ more a gallon (was $.99 in Kentucky) and we ran out of stuff on base at times because of long deliveries. Good times. Got there in the middle of October and was wearing shorts. The next week it was knee deep snow and it stayed on the ground the whole time I was there (left right before Christmas). Not like here in Kentucky where you can get a foot of snow today and a couple days later it's gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT