ADVERTISEMENT

Updates on TyTy & Wheeler?

And we were supposed to be 10-deep this year. We ain't got shit.
We have 3 players who have been available to play all 26 games this year (Oscar, Hopkins & Grady), 3 out of an original 12 scholarship players. Four more have been available all but 1 game, so 5 have been unavailable 2+ games, 1 of those missing the entire season.

If Wheeler, TyTy and Toppin are out, what a disaster.'

PG: Mintz
SG: Grady
SF: Hopkins
PF: Brooks
C: Oscar

Bench of Collins, Ware & Allen.

If this happens, no one should even watch.
Not saying this ^ will happen but it would be bad. REAL BAD. Mintz could step up and be a star or totally disappear. Hopkins brings nothing at all. Grady, Brooks, and Oscar figure to play well. Hopefully we find a way to win at Rupp.

Reactions: TFCats11
We have 3 players who have been available to play all 26 games this year (Oscar, Hopkins & Grady), 3 out of an original 12 scholarship players. Four more have been available all but 1 game, so 5 have been unavailable 2+ games, 1 of those missing the entire season.
You're thinking too much. We have 16(!) players on our roster. How many actually contribute anything meaningful?

Yeah, referring to Sharpe as a g-leaguer is just dumb...as I assume he is referencing Sharpe with coming and not playing. Sharpe is going to be a stud in the NBA most likely and we are all going to hate him for it because he didn't play here...and that is 100% ok. He used UK and I am not happy about it. I do not see this becoming a trend though as the other poster suggested.

Plus, as I always like to point out, UK has been flaming out of the NCAA Tournament at a much worse rate than Cal has at UK in his tenure. Just a title ever 17 years and a Final Four every 6.25 years in the 50 years pre-Cal. He is above both of those trends with ease, but people on here are not intelligent and cannot do math. That said, he needs to get back to a Final Four this year or next as it has been 7 years so he has fallen below that 6.25 average the 2nd half of his tenure but overall, it is 1 about every 3 years, which destroys that average. I have said if Cal had beat Auburn in 2019, but lost to Michigan in 2014, his tenure would be looked at differently by some despite the number of Final Fours remaining at 4.
The first ncaa title game was 1939--Oregon beat Ohio St 46-33

That makes a ncaa champ for 82 seasons(2020 did not have a tourney).
UK has 8 titles--8.2 seasons per title--not 17 years.
UK has 17 final fours---1 every 4.8 seasons--not 6.25.

To ignore Rupp and Hall is to ignore 5 titles and 9 final fours---more than half of each--in 47 combined seasons. Since sutton took charge--3 titles and 8 final fours in 34 seasons.

Perhaps Pitino should be compared directly--1 title and 3 final fours in 8 seasons, 2 seasons not eligible. so 1 title and 3 final fours in 6 eligible seasons.

the present coach has 1 title and 4 final fours in 11 eligible season---far below the Pitino record, and off the 82 year pace in titles and better in final fours(all before 2016.

Hot out of the gate--snail slow since 2015.

FAR off the pace of Pitino and Rupp

rr

To ignore Rupp and Hall is to ignore 5 titles and 9 final fours---more than half of each--in 47 combined seasons. Since sutton took charge--3 titles and 8 final fours in 34 seasons.

Perhaps Pitino should be compared directly--1 title and 3 final fours in 8 seasons, 2 seasons not eligible. so 1 title and 3 final fours in 6 eligible seasons.

the present coach has 1 title and 4 final fours in 11 eligible season---far below the Pitino record, and off the 82 year pace in titles and better in final fours(all before 2016.

rr
If you wanna bring up Pitino and compare, I'm fine with that, but to assume that Pitino would have continued at the same level of success is wishful thinking on your part. Pitino returned, to a P5 school which is 1 of the top 10 jobs in college basketball at least, and failed to do anything resembling that. You should also note that Pitino did little to restock the cabinet so to speak before he left, and may actually be part of the reason he left. It is the reason that the program fell a bit under Tubby after he won a title. Go look at Pitinos last 2 recruiting classes. I'll give you a little insight, Tennessee signed more McDonald All Americans than Pitino his last 2 years. So if you are going to cut Pitino down to 6 years as year he was eligible for the tournament, then compare that to Cal's first 6 years and tell me how they stack up.

As for the historical stuff, I would venture to say that the poster eliminated some of the older stuff, which I agree shouldn't be done, but Rupp coached until 1972, a good 14 years after his last title. And then we have gone 20 years and 18 years between titles, Cal has now gone 10 since his last one. Cal hasn't been as good his last few years as he was his first few, but almost nobody is going to. In my mind Cal has a couple of years to get to another Final four, and roughly 5 years to win another title. As I told my nephew who is a Baylor fan, you enjoy the titles when you get them, cause they don't come around very often. There are exactly 2 active coaches that have won multiple titles, and 1 of them is retiring this year. Only 6 schools have won multiple titles since 1990, and UK is one of them.

since 2015 nary a sniff of a final four--for $10,000,000/year

but, but--lots of nba players and $$$$$ to talk about

Priorities are obvious--result too.

rr

Reactions: TFCats11

rr

Give me a break, no one is ignoring anything you goof. How did I ignore Hall when I started looking at post-1958?

The point is that post-Rupp's glorious run from 48-58, we average what I said the prior 50 years to Calipari. The chances of UK winning 4 titles again in 10 years is about 0% in today's modern game with more parity bigger NCAA Tournament. We are much more likely to win titles/go to Final Fours at the more modern rate of the past 60+ decades with some streaks like Pitino/Smith from 93-98 and Cal from 2009-2015 worked into the mix.

The Pitino myth that he was going to keep dominating is one of the most tiresome arguments on here as well. Pitino got out of UK when he should have, if Calipari had some the same in 2015, he would be right on Pitino's pace.

rr
"nary a sniff"?
We were a last second shot away in 17, even after the roofery made it a 6 on 5 game.
We were OT away in 19, when the refs decided to swallow their whistles on one end of the court for 10 minutes.
And in 20, I (& many of us) really liked our chances, until Covid slammed that opportunity shut.
No final 4's, but 2 very good "sniffs" and a good chance lost.

And we were supposed to be 10-deep this year. We ain't got shit.
Kind of hurts when you have 1 guard out for the season, and 2 major guards who are injury-prone. What program (even in top 10), would be able to have depth to not have some drop off in that situation?

You're thinking too much. We have 16(!) players on our roster. How many actually contribute anything meaningful?
No one counts walk-ons. And I'd rather not start another pissing contest about Sharpe, to me he doesn't exist if and until he walks onto the court in a game.

ifs and buts and maybes---but still nothing since 2015 to hang in the rafters

But, lots of nba players making huge $$$$$ to brag about--priority #1

rr

If Wheeler, TyTy and Toppin are out, what a disaster.'

PG: Mintz
SG: Grady
SF: Hopkins
PF: Brooks
C: Oscar

Bench of Collins, Ware & Allen.

If this happens, no one should even watch.
G Mintz
G Grady
F Brooks
F Ware
F Tshiebwe

Ware needs to start in that situation because he has been the most consistent bench player all year. He plays hard and defends better than the other options.

You can still slide him to the 5 when Tshiebwe needs a break. Play Allen at the 2 and 3, Hopkins at the 3 and 4 and Collins at the 4 and 5. Grady slides over to the 1 when Mintz needs a breather.

Weak spot is the 3 spot with Brooks sliding over there.

Not ideal, but probably our best lineup

rr
Your definition of a sniff and mine are totally different. 3 of the last 5 years we have had a team ranked in the top 10 at season's end, 2 were a bucket away from a final four, and the tournament was cancelled for the other one.

Is that great?? No. Great is making a couple. But it also isn't deserving of the crap people like you throw out. You do realize that we have gone 20 years and 18 years between titles, right?? You know we just recently went 13 years between FF, right?? But by all means act like we should be in one every couple years. No who else hasn't sniffed a final four since then?? Widely considered the best college basketball coach of our lifetimes, and maybe ever.

G Mintz
G Grady
F Brooks
F Ware
F Tshiebwe

Ware needs to start in that situation because he has been the most consistent bench player all year. He plays hard and defends better than the other options.

You can still slide him to the 5 when Tshiebwe needs a break. Play Allen at the 2 and 3, Hopkins at the 3 and 4 and Collins at the 4 and 5. Grady slides over to the 1 when Mintz needs a breather.

Weak spot is the 3 spot with Brooks sliding over there.

Not ideal, but probably our best lineup
These hypothetical lineups are great and all, but I think there's less than a 5% chance that all 3 of those players are out.

Calipari seems to dramaticize injuries at times (probably to not give away too much to opponents). Just remember Kansas game when Washington and Toppin both were able to give it a go.

Would be nice if Allen and Hopkins stepped it up a lot, however.

Reactions: Murphenstein
Your definition of a sniff and mine are totally different. 3 of the last 5 years we have had a team ranked in the top 10 at season's end, 2 were a bucket away from a final four, and the tournament was cancelled for the other one.

Is that great?? No. Great is making a couple. But it also isn't deserving of the crap people like you throw out. You do realize that we have gone 20 years and 18 years between titles, right?? You know we just recently went 13 years between FF, right?? But by all means act like we should be in one every couple years. No who else hasn't sniffed a final four since then?? Widely considered the best college basketball coach of our lifetimes, and maybe ever.
Agree with most of that but I don’t for a second believe that “widely considered” load of crap.

If Cal was truly great he would have gotten to the final four in 17, 18 after the bracket broke or 19. Too bad 20 was canceled. Another chance as that team was pretty good.

The more chances you get the better the odds of breaking through. It has nothing to do with historical averages. Cal has been close to more titles but couldn’t ring the bell. Similarly he has been close to more final fours but without cashing in.

His teams have won some big tourney games but most of his tourney losses have come as the favorite.

Last edited:
Agree with most of that but I don’t for a second believe that “widely considered” load of crap
Are you watching college basketball?? You and I may not believe he is, but it is clear there are a lot of people who do. The guy has won 5 titles over the course of 3 decades, an won 1 in each of the last 3 decades. Also there are only like 2 active coaches that have won multiple titles, he has 5 and the other one has 2. I dont like him myself, but it's hard to argue those results.

Remember the Collins vs Bama matchup. I bet we see a ton of Collins with Oscar and Brooks/Toppin at the 3. That's NOT a good scoring team outside of Grady but that might be the matchup to play vs Bama.

Remember the Collins vs Bama matchup. I bet we see a ton of Collins with Oscar and Brooks/Toppin at the 3. That's NOT a good scoring team outside of Grady but that might be the matchup to play vs Bama.
Bama has little to no. Inside presence. Could be a chance to score points in the paint. As long as Mintz, Grady, and Brooks can hit some jumpers we should be able to win provided we take care off the arc.

Based on the whining of you one trick ponies? Based on the predictions of the Profits of Dumb? Nope.
I don't know if he'll play here or not, I hope he does, but if he doesn't I'll still believe it was a gamble worth taking and move on. All the while, you'll be yelling "he'd better!" at Cal and holding your breath, and the only result will be you passing out, like all the other spoiled blowhards. Because like them, your crying means nothing. You are a tiny minority, completely powerless. You might as well go away until Cal decides to leave, because you have ZERO effect on his job security.
Most of what you say is true, with the exception of your “ tiny minority” statement, I don’t know what state you live in but in Kentucky there are legions of fans that don’t like where our program has been . They hate all the losing and the flameouts in the tourney. There are legions of other fans that are so turned off by the one and done culture here they they have stopped giving a damn at all, and don’t feed me the Cal line that “ this is the way it is in college now”. If you can’t see this then you just aren’t looking. There are lots of teams, several that have won titles, that DONT do it this way. This is a good team and I have enjoyed watching it ,we might do well in the post season but time will tell. Time will also tell whether this year or last year was the aberration. I hope it was last year, I will have to wait and see.

Are you watching college basketball?? You and I may not believe he is, but it is clear there are a lot of people who do. The guy has won 5 titles over the course of 3 decades, an won 1 in each of the last 3 decades. Also there are only like 2 active coaches that have won multiple titles, he has 5 and the other one has 2. I dont like him myself, but it's hard to argue those results.
Miscommunication. Guess I didn’t read very closely. Thot your comment was about Cal.

Reactions: weatherbird
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT