ADVERTISEMENT

UNREAL UNC slap on the wrist possible WTF?

Heres the issue, The NCAA can get away with showing systematic bias of this nature, and can let all of this go with some lame excuse of an explanation. They can get away with doing that because they wont have to answer to anybody once they levy the penalty. ESPN certainly won't question them about it. Yeah, articles will be written, and talk radio discussions will be had about it, but no one in the mainstream sports media will really question or force the NCAA's hand on why they did what they did. You know darn good and well that they lightened up Penn States penalties in order to save face when it comes time to hand down this penalty on North Carolina.

Roy has been pretty mum on the scandal until a couple days ago when he said mens bball wasnt involved. That led me to believe they will not receive anything. I don't see them even getting a postseason ban or scholarship reduction.

Did I miss something? Did ncaa COI tell the Sporting News UNC's punishment? Maybe I didn't read it thoroughly, and I always thought the NCAA never releases any info on their investigations. I don't believe the article, and still think UNC is going to get severe sanctions.

Last edited:
I hope they lose on a last second full court heave, and as Roy Williams stands there slack jawed and on the verge of tears, Rashard McCants rushes the court and kicks him in the onions.
And then they show it for years and years and years on the opening graphics during a cbs broadcast.

I would enjoy this tremendously. It would become THE highlight of the NCAA tournament.

if they do nothing but a slap to NC. then give UL a slap then why can't UMASS and Memphis tell them they want their wins back and if they say no why can't the two get together and sue them. That will bring everything out about NC and what they did and they just got a slap. But who am I fooling these two schools don't have the balls to do anything. They can't even play basketball good anymore

Reactions: ukfan041
BASKETBALL
Sounds Like North Carolina Will Earn Slap on Wrist After Years of Alleged Academic Fraud
59931d54fb389c23131318f1b90dd84d

ByAnthony Wireman
Posted on Mar 28, 2016
roy-williams.jpg

1SHARE

TWEET

EMAIL

COMMENTS

If you suspected that the NCAA will offer light punishment to North Carolina for alleged academic fraud, it sounds like you’re likely correct.

According to Sporting News, the investigation is nearing completion and the UNC men’s basketball program will likely not have to forfeit any wins or championships, despite years of alleged misconduct.

It sounds like the punishment will be more along the lines of a postseason ban and loss of some scholarships.

Here’s an excerpt:

Last May, the NCAA charged North Carolina with five Level I violations, constituting a “severe breach of conduct.” The charges mainly concerned the university’s former African and Afro-American Studies department, and included allegations that athletes in essence took “fake” classes and received improper help completing assignments, all in a bid to boost their GPA.

The university had been expected to release its response to those charges in August, but after uncovering other potential violations, the university and NCAA agreed to try to resolve the matter by October.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions must hear the case before any penalties are issued. Speculation on what those penalties might be is rampant, but most observers don’t believe the men’s football or basketball teams will have to vacate any wins or championships. A postseason ban is possible, however, and scholarship restrictions and hefty fines seem to be the expected minimum.

Complete Article
If nothing happens to uncheat, then UK should reinstate the vacated wins and titles.

Don't understand how that can happen. How they can take Memphis title for D Rose being ineligible due to academics, but the whole UNC team that beat Illinois was essentially ineligible and only eligible because they were taking fake classes.
The NCAA argued Rose cheated and never should have been admitted to college. Sadly the NCAA doesn't have a rule for academic fraud once you get into college. Syracuse got in trouble because members of the coaching staff and tutors did homework for student athletes and thats an extra benefit. Carolina offered fraudulent classes to anyone and everyone on campus if they managed to find them. The NCAA doesn't bother to check if your classes and grades are real, instead relying on Universities and the academic staff to care more about their reputations and acreditation than their sports teams. They really don't have the man power to check that sort of thing. Louisville will get slammed because they broke several laws and recruiting rules.

If you want to see UNC get hammered like they should the only thing the NCAA can do is try to find other violations and give them an unjustifiably harsher penalty for the rules they did have on the books at the time.

and lets be honest. Even if Carolina did get post season bans or the death penalty, they'd just invent more Helms titles to cover those years. Dag gummit.

Reactions: jameslee32
If UNC only gets a slap on the wrist, SMU should football should sue the NCAA for all monies they lost from receiving the death penalty all those years ago. Indiana should go after them for the Kelvin Sampson punishment. Louisville's issues should be ignored. No college should ever again be punished for paying players, offering impermissible benefits, etc;. Players should be allowed to receive free cars, mortgage payments for their parents homes, all the tattoos their bodies can have, should be given their own homes, whatever anyone can think of they should just do it. There should just be complete anarchy. If it's allowed to happen for UNC it should be allowed to happen for every one else.

Reactions: catben
If UNC only gets a slap on the wrist, SMU should football should sue the NCAA for all monies they lost from receiving the death penalty all those years ago. Indiana should go after them for the Kelvin Sampson punishment. Louisville's issues should be ignored. No college should ever again be punished for paying players, offering impermissible benefits, etc;. Players should be allowed to receive free cars, mortgage payments for their parents homes, all the tattoos their bodies can have, should be given their own homes, whatever anyone can think of they should just do it. There should just be complete anarchy. If it's allowed to happen for UNC it should be allowed to happen for every one else.

I actually totally agree with this.... i mean 20 years of telling recruits if you come you really dont have to make good grades at all. Just focus on basketball.... also makes it easier to decided to stay in the fun college life instead of testing nba... like Doron Lamb hated school apparently...understandable i did too... but he may have stayed at UK 3 or 4 years if he didnt have to worry about class work at all. UNC has had lots of those types stay even when could be possible lottery picks

If this pans out, there is no incentive for any schools to follow rules, and a class-action lawsuit should be filed by every school that has had significant sanctions by this joke of a body. Emmertt as a recent article has shown, is a crook that gets away with something everywhere he goes. He's obviously on the take.

That's the key. The ramifications for this ruling are dire.

Why not cheat? If you're a basketball sacred cow, why not arrange fake classes to pass your athletes through? Nothing bad will come from it.

Just utter bullshit.

Some of us have been saying for a long time that nothing will happen to UNC***cheaters. It's just the world we are living in now. I bet they won't even get a post season ban ! Just get used to certain schools getting by with everything.

The NCAA argued Rose cheated and never should have been admitted to college. Sadly the NCAA doesn't have a rule for academic fraud once you get into college. Syracuse got in trouble because members of the coaching staff and tutors did homework for student athletes and thats an extra benefit. Carolina offered fraudulent classes to anyone and everyone on campus if they managed to find them. The NCAA doesn't bother to check if your classes and grades are real, instead relying on Universities and the academic staff to care more about their reputations and acreditation than their sports teams. They really don't have the man power to check that sort of thing. Louisville will get slammed because they broke several laws and recruiting rules.

If you want to see UNC get hammered like they should the only thing the NCAA can do is try to find other violations and give them an unjustifiably harsher penalty for the rules they did have on the books at the time.

I love the fact that the "National Collegiate Athletics Association" feels they have jurisdiction on a player still in high school (i.e. Derrick Rose, Eric Bledsoe) regarding whether or not his academic ducks are all in a row. But when it comes to players that are actually in college................"Nope, that isn't our business".

Yep, makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazyqx83
This post sounds like every retarded stoner chick from college whose wardrobe consisted of Grateful Dead T-shirts and Janis Joplin beads.

"Maaaaan, it's all the negative energy UK fans were vibing toward North Carolina and Indiana, broooo... Karma always wins, maan, if the Cats woulda just been chill during all this we would have had 3 more titles since Cal's been here. Prettttyyy wild to think about, innit?!"
While I detest this guy's post, A LOT, what .have hippie chicks done to deserve this unfair critcism?! I love hippie chicks, but of course I'm a huge Deadhead, LOL. I agree with others though, where's the bad karma for all the cheaters, and it'll be a travesty and total joke of its anywhere near a slap on this wrist.

That's the key. The ramifications for this ruling are dire.

Why not cheat? If you're a basketball sacred cow, why not arrange fake classes to pass your athletes through? Nothing bad will come from it.

Just utter bullshit.

Im okay with it...aham classes for our athletes if thats what they want... they come to UK for their profession/ career which happens to be basketball...so why have other class at all if the NCAA says its okay..as with UNC**...

This should be the national topic of discussion..but since its UNC** media will keep hush mostly and even say they got to harsh a punishment even if it is a slap on the wrist

Sadly the NCAA doesn't have a rule for academic fraud once you get into college. Syracuse got in trouble because members of the coaching staff and tutors did homework for student athletes and thats an extra benefit. Carolina offered fraudulent classes to anyone and everyone on campus if they managed to find them.
You have no clue. Division one athletes are required to complete percentages of their degree as they advance through their careers in order to remain eligible. They are also required to meet minimum GPA standards as well.

The NCAA is well within it's wheelhouse to retroactively make ineligible athletes who took fake classes. It is disingenuous to say that just because other students and the taxpayers were also deprived of educational opportunity by these fake classes, that the NCAA is somehow stripped of it's own power to enforce eligibility rules. The NCAA absolutely can strip wins and titles from teams who used ineligible players.

In this case, it is patently obvious that the NCAA is CHOOSING not to enforce their own rules in the biggest academic fraud scandal of all time.

Last edited:
You acknowledge that "mistakes" were made and you're sad about it. But you're thrilled that men's basketball doesn't have allegations? Which is it, Roy? Also, does characterizing academic fraud that went on for 20+ years as "mistakes" strike anyone else as pretty ridiculous?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article68622282.html

During his first of many media duties leading up to the Final Four, UNC coach Roy Williams was asked about the NCAA investigation that has been hanging over his program for the better part of five years.

The NCAA’s Notice of Allegations found football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball players in particular received impermissible benefits over several years in the form of “preferential access” to fake classes within the African studies department. Exhibits in the notice indicate athletes in other sports also received special access.

The notice does not accuse individual coaches or athletic officials of committing violations. The institution as a whole is facing a major violation — lack of institutional control — for failing to root out the fake classes and their use by counselors within the athletes’ tutoring program.

The question asked of Roy came from Houston Chronicle columnist Brian Smith.

“For you, personally and the program, what does it mean to reach this level again, which North Carolina has obviously done so many times—things are a little different right now in terms of the investigation going on, and you’ve mentioned some of the criticism you’ve taken within the state and nationally—does it feel different, is there more validation when you go through something like that? And how are you handling the ongoing investigation compared to the fact that you’re in the Final Four and you’re playing basketball at the highest stakes possible at the collegiate level?”

After checking that he had Smith’s first name right (he did), Williams gave his answer.

“You hit in on the head yourself. You probably gave the best answer because I would agree with everything you said. It’s different, what we’ve had to go through. There were mistakes made. We’ve said that freely. We’re discouraged about it, we’re sad about it, you can put any description there you want. With this team, we’ve tried to focus on playing basketball. We’ve tried to focus on getting Brice and Joel and Marcus Paige to have the best senior year they can possibly have. Those kids trusted us, believed in us. It makes it even a little more special. Here we are, as you said, going to college basketball’s biggest stage. It doesn’t validate anything, because I don’t think my integrity or credibility should have been in need of validating.

You know, it’s been a tough time. At the same time, I’m very proud of the fact that we have no allegations against men’s basketball. I like that part. I don’t like the fact that my school—and it is very much my school, I went to school here, my wife went to school here, our children went to school here, and hopefully I can live long enough to see my two grandsons go to school here. It’s not just a workplace for me. It’s been painful, it’s been hurtful, but this group of kids has helped me just focus on basketball. It’s been a sweet, sweet run and hopefully we can do some more. Coming down to Houston, hopefully people will focus on the game, the players and what they’re accomplishing and not the other stuff that we don’t have any control over. I’m really hopeful that that will be the story down there.”

You have no clue. Division one athletes are required to complete percentages of their degree as they advance through their careers in order to remain eligible. They are also required to meet minimum GPA standards as well.

The NCAA is well within it's wheelhouse to retroactively make ineligible athletes who took fake classes. It is disingenuous to say that just because other students and the taxpayers were also deprived of educational opportunity by these fake classes, that the NCAA is somehow stripped of it's own power to enforce eligibility rules. The NCAA absolutely can strip wins and titles from teams who used ineligible players.

In this case, it is patently obvious that the NCAA is CHOOSING not to enforce their own rules in the biggest academic fraud scandal of all time.
While thats true they do have to maintain a GPA to remain eligible the NCAA does not check to see how courses are graded etc. They leave that in the hands of the institutions, and the NCAA has no rules for what constitutes a real or a fake class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT