ADVERTISEMENT

UNREAL UNC slap on the wrist possible WTF?

Catmyers

Junior
Apr 3, 2007
BASKETBALL
Sounds Like North Carolina Will Earn Slap on Wrist After Years of Alleged Academic Fraud
59931d54fb389c23131318f1b90dd84d

ByAnthony Wireman
Posted on Mar 28, 2016
roy-williams.jpg

1SHARE

TWEET

EMAIL

COMMENTS

If you suspected that the NCAA will offer light punishment to North Carolina for alleged academic fraud, it sounds like you’re likely correct.

According to Sporting News, the investigation is nearing completion and the UNC men’s basketball program will likely not have to forfeit any wins or championships, despite years of alleged misconduct.

It sounds like the punishment will be more along the lines of a postseason ban and loss of some scholarships.

Here’s an excerpt:

Last May, the NCAA charged North Carolina with five Level I violations, constituting a “severe breach of conduct.” The charges mainly concerned the university’s former African and Afro-American Studies department, and included allegations that athletes in essence took “fake” classes and received improper help completing assignments, all in a bid to boost their GPA.

The university had been expected to release its response to those charges in August, but after uncovering other potential violations, the university and NCAA agreed to try to resolve the matter by October.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions must hear the case before any penalties are issued. Speculation on what those penalties might be is rampant, but most observers don’t believe the men’s football or basketball teams will have to vacate any wins or championships. A postseason ban is possible, however, and scholarship restrictions and hefty fines seem to be the expected minimum.

Complete Article

A postseason ban is more than a slap on the wrist. They weren't going to receive the death penalty although they might have deserved it.

If this pans out, there is no incentive for any schools to follow rules, and a class-action lawsuit should be filed by every school that has had significant sanctions by this joke of a body. Emmertt as a recent article has shown, is a crook that gets away with something everywhere he goes. He's obviously on the take.

Bwhahahaha...what a joke. The NCAAssholes should not have let Syracuse in the tourney because they were 19-13 and finished in 10th!! place in the ACC. But guess who's a graduate of Syracuse? That's right, the NCAA Pres Mark Emmert. What a crook. Wonder why Tulsa got in the tourney over S Carolina? Because the tourney chairman, Joe Castiglione, is the AD at Oklahoma. Guess who he's friends with? Tulsa's AD. Hell, Tulsa's coach, Frank Haith, has left his last two schools on probation and scooted out of town to avoid sanctions. What a stand up organization the NCAA is :uzi:

People been masturbating to UNC's incoming punishment for years ......I think it's comedy that nothing will happen to UNC's basketball program. People on this board will blow a gasket and smoke will come from their ears.
The thought of no punishment might cause people to spontaneously combust on the spot.
Heck I thought losing to Indiana would do the same. We talk so much shixt about Indiana on this board. I thought a loss might cause people to commit suicide.

Between the crap we talk about UNCheat and Indiana we should have built up quite a bit of bad karma. It came to bite us this year. Lost to Indiana and UNC gets the title. Karma is a bitch you don't mess with.

Karma: principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual (cause)(ukfans shitz talking) influence the future of that individual (effect)(Indiana and UNC do well)

It's why Coach Cal says to never root against other teams we don't like. Karma

Last edited:
Reactions: MikiDora
If anyone in the history of the NCAA has deserved the death penalty, it is UNC in this particular instance. After all, is this not what the NCAA is all about? Isn't that what they've been chirping again and again, especially since Emmert took the reigns? They are all about "STUDENT" athletes, right? This academic fraud stretched over nearly 2 DECADES and enabled certain players on key teams to remain eligible to play and go to Final Fours and win titles. If there was ever a case where the integrity of the entire system had been basically flushed down the toilet, it's this. This is giving double birds to the NCAA and its student athlete model. It screams death penalty from the mountaintops.

And the other issue here is a racial one- these African American student athletes were deprived of an education through a department called "African American Studies"! This is an insult not only to the University itself but also to these students and the entire race. Where's Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson when you need them?

I've never expected anything more than a slap on the wrist. To expect more is setting oneself up for disappointment. My gut feeling is UL will get worse.

Reactions: notelvis
What I have learned from all this is every program should "cheat" and "not follow the rules", because clearly they do not matter. And all you have to do is keep denying it, no matter how many times your story changes or if the mountain of evidence piles up to the heavens. I am convinced if this had been any other basketball school not named North Carolina (and possibly Duke as long as K is there) they would have been hammered. But oh well. I stopped going by the NCAA's "records" when they crashed Cal's 500th win party.

UofL would have been better off not banning itself and keep playing the nothing to see here card. Maybe they could have made a run to the final four to join the 2 other cheaters in the most tainted championship game in history.

Reactions: kat57
A postseason ban is more than a slap on the wrist. They weren't going to receive the death penalty although they might have deserved it.
Decades of institutionalized cheating results in a postseason ban? If it is one year, that's a slap on the wrist. If it's three years, then call me surprised. lol

Not to be a told you so, but told you so.....My posts on the subject regurgitating the articles and public comments by the NCAA and Emmert make this pretty consistent. In fact, a post season ban is beyond what I even expected (if that happens).

No, it's WAY less than a slap and it's strategically timed as well to conclude the investigation after this particular run they're making.

Any ban or punishment shouldn't involve next year's or any other UNC team thereafter that are in currently in compliance if that's the case. That's just dumb. Punishments should be harsh and retroactive involving the stripping of titles, final fours, ACC championships and anything else that involved players that were not eligible to play division 1 basketball during the years the players were associated with.

Wait wait wait.

That's sort of a BS "article."

It is nothing but a recap of Emerts comments and a few sporting news invented things.

Not news.
After I posted it I re read you may be right someones guess? Oh well we will see!

People been masturbating to UNC's incoming punishment for years ......I think it's comedy that nothing will happen to UNC's basketball program. People on this board will blow a gasket and smoke will come from their ears.
The thought of no punishment might cause people to spontaneously combust on the spot.
Heck I thought losing to Indiana would do the same. We talk so much shixt about Indiana on this board. I thought a loss might cause people to commit suicide.

Between the crap we talk about UNCheat and Indiana we should have built up quite a bit of bad karma. It came to bite us this year. Lost to Indiana and UNC gets the title. Karma is a bitch you don't mess with.

Karma: principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual (cause)(ukfans shitz talking) influence the future of that individual (effect)(Indiana and UNC do well)

zwwvrsbyzvmj9klj1wzl.jpg

Easy there grasshopper.

What impact should karma have on UNC?

Anything that doesn't remove wins and banners is a total travesty.

Period.

Time to disband the NCAA.
Agree completely.
If the end result is simply a one time ban on post-season play then it will usher in a new era of cheating the likes haven't been seen since the 70's and 80's.
The NCAA will effectively surrender any power it might have still had. The words "NCAA investigation", once said with baited breath and fear will become the punch line to a pretty feeble joke.
If UNC gets away with all they're done, I would never be in favor of playing them in any sport ever again. Why legitimize them?

Not to be a told you so, but told you so.....My posts on the subject regurgitating the articles and public comments by the NCAA and Emmert make this pretty consistent. In fact, a post season ban is beyond what I even expected (if that happens).

Too early for I told you so. That is an opinion piece. The final decision will be made by a committee and not "most observers" whomever they are.

Reactions: Bkocats

This post sounds like every retarded stoner chick from college whose wardrobe consisted of Grateful Dead T-shirts and Janis Joplin beads.

"Maaaaan, it's all the negative energy UK fans were vibing toward North Carolina and Indiana, broooo... Karma always wins, maan, if the Cats woulda just been chill during all this we would have had 3 more titles since Cal's been here. Prettttyyy wild to think about, innit?!"

Don't understand how that can happen. How they can take Memphis title for D Rose being ineligible due to academics, but the whole UNC team that beat Illinois was essentially ineligible and only eligible because they were taking fake classes.

As much as we all hate Louisville...them and their fans should stand up....because Louisville is going to get smacked and UNC*** has done the worst in history of cheating and slap on the wrist...maybe one year postseason ban perfectly timed and delayed to be after their good team with seniors had won a title.

I really may retire from watching sports.... i dont like the idea that cheatings prospers

Don't understand how that can happen. How they can take Memphis title for D Rose being ineligible due to academics, but the whole UNC team that beat Illinois was essentially ineligible and only eligible because they were taking fake classes.

It can happen because it is not a conspiracy that there is total corruption within the NCAA playing favorites and such

As much as we all hate Louisville...them and their fans should stand up....because Louisville is going to get smacked and UNC*** has done the worst in history of cheating and slap on the wrist...maybe one year postseason ban perfectly timed and delayed to be after their good team with seniors had won a title.

I really may retire from watching sports.... i dont like the idea that cheatings prospers
Do not hold your breath until ul gets "smacked". I think they skate too.

If they only get a slap on the wrist, I'm leaving working college athletics for good as soon as I can get a different job. I would no longer be able to morally justify to myself working and promoting an institution that is part of the corrupt criminal ring that is the NCAA.

Reactions: IdaCat
basically, cheat, win titles, hang banners, ncaa isn't taking them down, unless you're ky

Agree completely.
If the end result is simply a one time ban on post-season play then it will usher in a new era of cheating the likes haven't been seen since the 70's and 80's.
The NCAA will effectively surrender any power it might have still had. The words "NCAA investigation", once said with baited breath and fear will become the punch line to a pretty feeble joke.
If UNC gets away with all they're done, I would never be in favor of playing them in any sport ever again. Why legitimize them?

That would be true if the liniency was uniform and across the board, but it's not. Partiality is the real problem, not the lack of NCAA enforcement and punishment muscle.

The fact that there may be a postseason ban after stalling to let a stacked Carolina team into the tournament is collusion imo

UNCheat will gladly take a postseason ban next year when they will be abysmal to win a title this year. Loss of scholarships will hurt, but it is not like they have big time talent wanting to go to school there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT