ADVERTISEMENT

underrated UK basketball win

RunninRichie

All-American
Sep 5, 2019
Is the 2019 #1 UT vs #5 UK game at rupp. The monsters from the orange lagoon came into Rupp ranked #1 and their fans were begging for UK. Similar to how Vandy begged for alabama in football...UT fans were confident they would beat a top 5 UK team in rupp. The result - a 17 point beat down.

That was our best game of the year iirc. I remember drinking many bourbons in my den that night and enjoying what I was watching, a lot.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Stanford in the 1998 Elite Eight.

After coming back to beat Duke, it seemed like people just assumed the Cats would at least make the Finals. But Stanford was a terrific team playing at a high level. That whole game was played at an insane level of intensity. I remember Dean "The Educator" Smith had just retired and was acting as an analyst for CBS and he blurted out after the game words to the effect that, "that was the best basketball game I've ever seen."

Incredibly clutch play to erase a double-digit second half deficit. And a legendary performance by Jeff Sheppard hitting three 3s off curls late in regulation and in overtime -- watch it again, if he misses any of those shots I think Kentucky loses.

Last edited:
Beating Dook on the way to the title in 98. The media didn't give us much of a chance and had already given Dook the title in their minds. That win was huge. The other I would put right there that we weren't really expected to win is against OHS and Sullinger in 2011. They came into that game 34-2 and had been really impressive.

what was great about that game is we were physical with them and their posts players took it on the chin. williams wasn’t bailed out on flops and we pretty much ran over him.

MSU away this past season starring Allen. Why? Because it represented 20% of our win totals and set off a 5-fire department blaze on RR regarding Allen’s role on the team. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

2009 vs UCONN at MSG. Letting the world know that the king was back for his throne.

I was at that game. Amazing atmosphere, but for the asshole unconn fans who were so mad we jumped out 12-0 th÷y were demanding security to tell UK fans to sit down. Hilarious. We stayed on our feet the whole game after that, out of spite.

Stanford in the 1998 Elite Eight.

After coming back to beat Duke, it seemed like people just assumed the Cats would at least make the Finals. But Stanford was a terrific team playing at a high level. That whole game was played at an insane level of intensity. I remember Dean "The Educator" Smith had just retired and was acting as an analyst for CBS and he blurted out after the game words to the effect that, "that was the best basketball game I've ever seen."

Incredibly clutch play to erase a double-digit halftime deficit. And a legendary performance by Jeff Sheppard hitting three 3s off curls late in regulation and in overtime -- watch it again, if he misses any of those shots I think Kentucky loses.

I would actually love to watch that game again. Significantly underrated.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
2011 @ Tennessee. It was Bruce Pearl's last home game at Tennessee and we won one SEC road game going in. We struggled but were down by 7 at the half. We came back and won and that's what shifted the team to a Final Four run.

I was coming here to post that thinking I’d be picking an obscure game and it’s the third one posted lol

Beating KU in the 1990/91 season by 17 in Rupp a year after they beat us by 55 in Lawrence. I was there that night and it was one of the greatest games EVER in Rupp for us fans that were SOOOOO starved for revenge against Roy and the Jayhawks!! We were still on probation and couldn't go to the NCAA Tournament, yet still finished with the best record in the SEC that year. KU went on to finish as the Runner-up to Duke in the NCAA Tournament.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT