ADVERTISEMENT

Unbelieveable

billoliver40

Senior
Dec 16, 2015
Trenton ky
Put me on ignore all you want.

I have read posts on this site that actually go so far as saying 'we' need to hope Pope fails so we can run him and Barnhart off. And even work to do that.

Let me get this right....we are such passionate fans we want the program to crash and burn so we can get 'who we deserve?'

Look, I was hoping for a bigger name. Instead we got a guy that coaches say has a brilliant mind and a great future. And someone that knows from experience what this place can be like. And wants to be here.

We have folks on here that never knew any coach except John Calipari. That's fine. We have folks still convinced one and dones are the only way....and that's okay too.

I have no doubt Pope will struggle his first couple years. ALL the guys we've cried for did the same: Hurley, Drew, Oats, Donovan...everybody.

In the Final Four, I would dare say ALL THE TEAMS TOGETHER had less NBA sure shots than Kentucky.

Time for the what has turned into the Pope experiment and try to be Kentucky Basketball, not just whatever name is on back of a jersey for one season.

I'm ready for a new AD. I'm also ready to see a program get rebuilt for longer than one year.
Good luck Coach Pope.

I have read posts on this site that actually go so far as saying 'we' need to hope Pope fails so we can run him and Barnhart off. And even work to do that.

Let me get this right....we are such passionate fans we want the program to crash and burn so we can get 'who we deserve?'

Look, I was hoping for a bigger name. Instead we got a guy that coaches say has a brilliant mind and a great future. And someone that knows from experience what this place can be like. And wants to be here.

We have folks on here that never knew any coach except John Calipari. That's fine. We have folks still convinced one and dones are the only way....and that's okay too.

I have no doubt Pope will struggle his first couple years. ALL the guys we've cried for did the same: Hurley, Drew, Oats, Donovan...everybody.

In the Final Four, I would dare say ALL THE TEAMS TOGETHER had less NBA sure shots than Kentucky.

Time for the what has turned into the Pope experiment and try to be Kentucky Basketball, not just whatever name is on back of a jersey for one season.

I'm ready for a new AD. I'm also ready to see a program get rebuilt for longer than one year.
Good luck Coach Pope.
This ^^^

Good luck Coach Pope.
You have to remember that a portion of the people who post on here don't have two brain cells to rub together.

Good luck Coach Pope.
Well said.

Good luck Coach Pope.
This post is untimely. There were a lot of knee jerk, visceral reactions to the initial Pope news. Almost everyone I know personally and the vibe I’ve gotten on this board has completely changed though in the last 24 hours.

This fanbase is IN on Pope. No need to try to divide anymore.

Good luck Coach Pope.
Those are not fans but haters and trolls.

Good luck Coach Pope.
I've actually been putting all of the negative posters on ignore over the last couple of days. The board actually feels quite pleasant now.

This post is untimely. There were a lot of knee jerk, visceral reactions to the initial Pope news. Almost everyone I know personally and the vibe I’ve gotten on this board has completely changed though in the last 24 hours.

Yep. The difference those 24 hours or so made were incredible!

I've actually been putting all of the negative posters on ignore over the last couple of days. The board actually feels quite pleasant now.
Same. There’s a difference in giving Cal hell over the last five years because of actual results on the court, and whining about a guy that hasn’t even constructed a roster yet.

I’ve got 3 or 4 guys on ignore because that’s basically all they can talk about. Most of the ones doing this were well know Cal pumpers.

F ‘em

Here are things that are true

It was past time for Cal to go

This is a terrible hire at the time

Barnhart has made this program unrecognizable.

I hope Pope kills it.

Good luck Coach Pope.
I think we need a "Slap an Idiot Day" especially for them....SMH

• Haha
Reactions: cat tat2

This. Not sure the combative Pope support is needed. We just went through a year of some real tension in this board about Cal. Now we have a chance to chill and rally.

There's like 10% of the base that's still negative, and another 10% addicted to the arguing that want to keep it going with them. It's like arguing with the crazy man on the street about aliens in the government. Just walk on by

The problem is after all the crap this program has been through with Calipari, you'd think people would be elated to get any decent coach. He's a very good coach. But, no. People and their dumb "our recruiting is going to suck" and other nonsense. That garbage should never have happened.

The problem is after all the crap this program has been through with Calipari, you'd think people would be elated to get any decent coach. He's a very good coach. But, no. People and their dumb "our recruiting is going to suck" and other nonsense. That garbage should never have happened.
It will be nice to have a coach that can actually develop players.

I’d love to see someone quote post who said they hope he fails so they can both be fired. I bet it either didn’t happen or was a brand new account.

I wasn’t happy with the hire, but I’m still hopeful and excited for a new era of UK basketball. UK basketball is one of mine and many of the people here’s most passionate hobby’s. I have my worries but I also have things I think will now be better. In the Pope I hope.

This is what I wanted from our new coach...
For the program to be put first. When the program succeeds the players succeed.
WANT to be here and understand the traditions, and passion of the fans.
Recruit good players that fit his style not just a ranking number by a name.
Mark Pope was not my first choice even tho I think he was being watched by the majority of BBN that were watching his progression up the ranks. Do I think he's ready for this job?
I sure hope so. He thinks he's ready, he wants it. He knows what's expected and I think he will work tirelessly to achieve his goals of winning conference titles and the ultimate prize.
I'm gonna support him and ride this thing with him at the helm. I love UK and I know we have a coach that feels the same way.
Let's see what happens.

This is what I wanted from our new coach...
For the program to be put first. When the program succeeds the players succeed.
WANT to be here and understand the traditions, and passion of the fans.
Recruit good players that fit his style not just a ranking number by a name.
Mark Pope was not my first choice even tho I think he was being watched by the majority of BBN that were watching his progression up the ranks. Do I think he's ready for this job?
I sure hope so. He thinks he's ready, he wants it. He knows what's expected and I think he will work tirelessly to achieve his goals of winning conference titles and the ultimate prize.
I'm gonna support him and ride this thing with him at the helm. I love UK and I know we have a coach that feels the same way.
Let's see what happens.
I promise you, he's going to check off all those boxes. The guy is hardcore blue.

I'll admit I was extremely upset when I heard we were hiring Pope. And I'm still skeptical that it's going to work in the long run. But Pope is one heck of a person and may just be a hidden gem in the coaching department so I'll be pulling like crazy for him to succeed. I may even go to the PC and take my kids just to soak in the experience and support him.

Reactions: RunninRichie

Good luck Coach Pope.
Well said, Bill.

How many 5 Star prospects did UConn, NC State, and Purdue have on its roster this year?

Honest question, just assuming it wasn’t many.

Good college basketball players win championships and go to Final Four’s, it’s usually not NBA prospects.
I heard there were just 2 five star recruits in the final four

Reactions: KentuckyCat420

Good luck Coach Pope.
Well said and completely on point!!

Totally agree with the OP. I was just in the thread that was calling for his failure and one poster even stated we should work for his firing. I, too, was disappointed at first but am definitely backing Coach Pope and giving him time to build his program. That other thread just sickened me with all the hatred being spewed. Even one long time poster I respect joined the gang, very disappointing.

Agree.

I was disgusted seeing the posts from some so called fans wanting coach Pope to fail. He is one of us. He captained a team that hung a banner. We owe the guy a chance.

The overwhelming sense of entitlement that permeates this fanbase is crazy. I’m guessing it’s from younger fans who only know Cal as coach but are old enough to remember the early Cal years and think that’s the norm vs the exception. I’m from the Pitino generation and we were spoiled in the same way.

Good luck Coach Pope.
Amen!

How many 5 Star prospects did UConn, NC State, and Purdue have on its roster this year?

Honest question, just assuming it wasn’t many.

Good college basketball players win championships and go to Final Four’s, it’s usually not NBA prospects.
Well UCONN had 2. Castle and another guy on the bench. Castle was a top 10 recruit.

Coach Pope already beat Cal once in 1996 as a player (in the NCAA semi I think)… I’m ready to see that again, and I hope it happens.

Good luck Coach Pope.

Good luck Coach Pope.
True but you also have the chance he is kenny payne.. You cherry picked out all the great coaches who all obviously started somewhere, but for every one those theres a bunch that flame out. Our own john pelphrey was hot and thought to be headed towards much success and then flopped big tine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT