ADVERTISEMENT

Ulis' Brother in Some Trouble

So many athletes getting popped right now for illegal betting.

Really hope Cal and staff, and Stoops and staff, are talking every single day about not gambling or betting on games.

Wow, he has a problem. Agree on UK warning these kids all the time to avoid gambling especially now that they have a lot of NIL cash in their pockets.

Is he facing loss of eligibility because he bet on an Iowa game, or all the bball games? I can understand if betting for your team, but not sure on the rules for general betting. Would it be the same if he bet on college football?

I do think any player should stay away from betting, but it’s such a huge and common thing nowadays.

Reactions: TheJuddDome
No joke. I like to gamble here and there (lotto ticket, poker, etc) but nearly 35K?! That's an addiction folks.
We as a society haven't done enough to educate college aged students about what gambling really is. With it becoming so much more accessible, and with places like Barstool promoting the heck out of it - I've felt like we might be creating a generation of gambling addicts. I say this as someone who has seen how ugly it can truly get.

We as a society haven't done enough to educate college aged students about what gambling really is. With it becoming so much more accessible, and with places like Barstool promoting the heck out of it - I've felt like we might be creating a generation of gambling addicts. I say this as someone who has seen how ugly it can truly get.
I understand that. But man, 35k is a LOT of money.

Reactions: ORCAT
Is he facing loss of eligibility because he bet on an Iowa game, or all the bball games? I can understand if betting for your team, but not sure on the rules for general betting. Would it be the same if he bet on college football?

I do think any player should stay away from betting, but it’s such a huge and common thing nowadays.
It shouldn't matter. You bet, then you're done.

It shouldn't matter. You bet, then you're done.
I would agree if it’s the same sport you are playing in. But I am curious what the ruling would be if a college basketball player bet on a college football game.

The rule is that you cannot bet on ANY sports that are NCAA sanctioned sports, regardless of what sport you personally play.

Basketball, football, hockey, golf, track & field, swimming, etc.

None of the above sports, plus others, can be bet on by NCAA athletes.

They CAN bet on sports/games that are NOT NCAA sanctioned, such as:

- Horse racing
- Boxing
- UFC/MMA
- Greyhound Racing
- Bowling
- Poker
- Cornhole Tournaments

This has always been a zero tolerance rule. One strike you're out.

No joke. I like to gamble here and there (lotto ticket, poker, etc) but nearly 35K?! That's an addiction folks.
That’s ridiculous. It’s less than $30 a game. If the win rate is roughly 50% (it’s prolly less), you’re talking just betting a bunch of micro bets and losing like $500

Weed won’t be legalized in KY until it gets federally legalized unfortunately. Too many idiots in charge.
I mean it's 2023 and WE just got sports betting and medical marijuana.

Feds will never legalize it. Same problem. Too many idiots. The could tax the hell out of it and generate revenue (just like alcohol) and my oh my how the money would pour in.

I mean it's 2023 and WE just got sports betting and medical marijuana.

Feds will never legalize it. Same problem. Too many idiots. The could tax the hell out of it and generate revenue (just like alcohol) and my oh my how the money would pour in.
Zactly.

Neither is smoking weed. I bet once that legalizes it’s really gonna take off among the college aged kids. I’m pretty worried.
I don’t think to many players are rushing to bovada and trying to make sure they get their checks from winning from a third world country.

But yea once betting gets legal it will spread for sure. Just hope like you said they are smart to not do it.

Betting on his own team could have legal consequences

I would agree if it’s the same sport you are playing in. But I am curious what the ruling would be if a college basketball player bet on a college football game.

Reactions: WeWant9
The rule is that you cannot bet on ANY sports that are NCAA sanctioned sports, regardless of what sport you personally play.

Basketball, football, hockey, golf, track & field, swimming, etc.

None of the above sports, plus others, can be bet on by NCAA athletes.

They CAN bet on sports/games that are NOT NCAA sanctioned, such as:

- Horse racing
- Boxing
- UFC/MMA
- Greyhound Racing
- Bowling
- Poker
- Cornhole Tournaments

This has always been a zero tolerance rule. One strike you're out.
And should be. I mean in the modern era, how easy would it be to text your buddy that plays on another team and be like, "Hey man, I bet on you guys to win, but keep to a margin of 5." or something similar. It's manipulation of the game and violates the spirit of the sport.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Average of $18.80 per bet. Probably won or lost between 1 and 3k. If they ever could truly cracked down on this, college sports would be light on athletes. However it is impossible to track every friend of every player placing bets.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don’t think to many players are rushing to bovada and trying to make sure they get their checks from winning from a third world country.

But yea once betting gets legal it will spread for sure. Just hope like you said they are smart to not do it.
Y’all don’t get the joke at all.

I’m sorry I wasted your time.

• Haha
Reactions: UKrazycat2
Average of $18.80 per bet. Probably won or lost between 1 and 3k. If they ever could truly cracked down on this, college sports would be light on athletes. However it is impossible to track every friend of every player placing bets.
Guys, I took care of the average many posts ago. Jesus. Does nobody read the dang thread? Lol

They are concerned about players getting down big and then using their games to get out of the hole. Or the bookies cutting a deal with having a player throw a few games.
That could be a problem but if it’s just a couple of bets on games that aren’t their own team then I don’t see the problem. I have no idea if these Iowa and Iowa state players went overboard and got out of control with the bets or not

I wonder what time-frame that covers? It's not like he was making huge bets if he made more than 1,800 bets to get to that 35K. He's basically making 20 dollar bets, which isn't a big deal. There's no getting away from that 1800, though. That's a big number. You could place a bet a day every day for, what, 4 yrs. or so?

I wonder what time-frame that covers? It's not like he was making huge bets if he made more than 1,800 bets to get to that 35K. He's basically making 20 dollar bets, which isn't a big deal. There's no getting away from that 1800, though. That's a big number. You could place a bet a day every day for, what, 4 yrs. or so?
If it's over a year it's about 36 bets a week. At about 18.80 that's nearly 680 a week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT