ADVERTISEMENT

Ulis' Brother in Some Trouble

You guys are judging by an average number too much…trying to make this sound less significant than it is. A) that’s a whole lot of betting. B) Maybe he bet $5 a lot and won or lost a little, but maybe there were some $1000 bets that didn’t go his way.

Reactions: bbncal02
No joke. I like to gamble here and there (lotto ticket, poker, etc) but nearly 35K?! That's an addiction folks.
Spread out over 4/5 years
That's really not that much 125/150 a week

Hard to stop a kid if they feel it's automatic

That’s ridiculous. It’s less than $30 a game. If the win rate is roughly 50% (it’s prolly less), you’re talking just betting a bunch of micro bets and losing like $500
I’m guessing you’re a frequent bettor. Sure sounds like it.

Reactions: bbncal02
Question, where some no name dude get that much to wager with?
Well that's all he has to do is come up with a $20 bill. Then takes the winnings from that and then make a bunch more $20 bills with it. It's not that hard to miss a basket or 2 especially if you're betting on your own team.

We as a society haven't done enough to educate college aged students about what gambling really is. With it becoming so much more accessible, and with places like Barstool promoting the heck out of it - I've felt like we might be creating a generation of gambling addicts. I say this as someone who has seen how ugly it can truly get.
We as a country do a bad job of educating our children anyways.

Is he facing loss of eligibility because he bet on an Iowa game, or all the bball games? I can understand if betting for your team, but not sure on the rules for general betting. Would it be the same if he bet on college football?

I do think any player should stay away from betting, but it’s such a huge and common thing nowadays.
I think a decent rule would be for the NCAA to ban kids from betting on the sport they play in general. If a Basketball player wants to bet legally on College football or baseball, then so be it. He just can't bet on college Basketball. same goes for other sports, bet on anything but the sport you play.

I don't know if education for the college age kids is an issue in 2023. I played division 2 college baseball starting in 2005 before anyone ever dreamed of picking up a phone and instantly placing a bet and we had meetings about not betting on sports and not even being able to be in a march madness pool or we could be ineligible.

I am sure in 2023 with the level of money these kids generate and opportunities they have someone informs them that betting on college sports is not allowed.

As for it being a lot of money and some suggesting he has a problem it depends on the success rate whether that is true. If he had inside information on all of his bets then it wouldn’t be a problem at all if it were all winnings.

Let’s say you invest in stocks, put $1,000 in the stock market and in 4 years you now have $34,000. You wouldn’t have a problem you would be considered a great trader right? It all depends on how much of his money he has put into it. If he started with $500 in his account and never put money back into it then most here would be happy to have that problem!

If he has put $34,000 out of pocket into his bets and has never won then wow that would be a huge problem! Don’t have the information to determine that.

Regardless he will obviously never play college sports again unless he transfers to Duke or UNC.

I think a decent rule would be for the NCAA to ban kids from betting on the sport they play in general. If a Basketball player wants to bet legally on College football or baseball, then so be it. He just can't bet on college Basketball. same goes for other sports, bet on anything but the sport you play.
Again, I think the issue there is, athletes hang out together and in similar circles, especially at their respective schools. Would be really easy for them to influence each others games. "Hey man, need you to throw some bad pitches tonight." "Or, know you guys have a basketball game tonight, make sure you miss a couple of shots..."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT