ADVERTISEMENT

UL message board

TOMCATS1990

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2019
Creeping on their board they seem to think Chris Collins ( ex Dookie) Northwestern HC will be there man next season.

Reactions: Fox2monk
He's.....fine. Probably 5th or 6th on the list of coaches you would ask.
No way he leads them to a Final Four or conference contender.
But after the last several years, they can't expect that.
They need someone used to coaching dumpster fires who can just make them semi relevant.
If true.

Have they given up on May already?

Leaving Chicago for Louisville would be a cost of living decrease I’m sure. Just can’t think of much reason any one would want to take over that program given the somewhat unreasonable expectation. It’s going to take 3/4 years to get that program off life support. I hope he knows they’re expecting a Cal like turn around.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: chroix
Evanston beats the snot out of Louisville as a place to live and everything you could want in Chicago so close. Not enough money to make that move.

Leaving Chicago for Louisville would be a cost of living increase I’m sure. Just can’t think of much reason any one would want to take over that program given the somewhat unreasonable expectation. It’s going to take 3/4 years to get that program off life support. I hope he knows they’re expecting a Cal like turn around.
No way is the cost of living higher in Louisville vs Chicago.

Leaving Chicago for Louisville would be a cost of living increase I’m sure. Just can’t think of much reason any one would want to take over that program given the somewhat unreasonable expectation. It’s going to take 3/4 years to get that program off life support. I hope he knows they’re expecting a Cal like turn around.
Chicago is 16% higher to live than Louisville. Not Even a close comparison

What is it with Louisville. I mean I don’t care anything about them. Most of my life I didn’t even know they existed. I significant doesn’t describe them really.

But what is the deal with their complex. Constantly hiring UK guys, and now Duke guys.

Is “Pitino (Kentucky) players in the NBA” still on their practice walls?

It’s annoying and embarrassing. No other rival base even hires from within their rivals. Louisville actively tries to become the rival itself. The program has no identity.

I have thought for a while the hire won’t be anyone we’re talking about. Clean type guy vanilla hire, said it last week. They can’t hire anyone that’s going to raise eyebrows. The BOT (Kentucky spies) won’t let that happen. They’ve been an embarrassment beyond. Then the arena issues, the mafia AD, they can’t hire “win at all costs” types right now. Louisville is dead. They have no capital to spend both financially and institutionally / nationally.

That’s why Payne was hired, they can’t get anyone big and have to play it safe.

I don’t think it’s a good hire at all if winning big is what you want. I think it’s actually a hire that could hurt them bad. All he has to do is be average and they can’t fire him. Mark the post come back in 5.

Last edited:
Louisville's problem is not that it isn't a good job. I think it is a top 10 job. Great facilities and fan base (I realize we disagree with their fan base, but they have really loyal fans). Junior Bridgeman gives them the opportunity to spend money. The biggest problem I think they have is the rebuild. Most of the coaches that would go there are going to have to come from a much lower program. That doesn't mean that there are not really good coaches out there that will take the job. With NIL and the portal, my bet is they hire a good, young coach and are relevant again in 2 years. When we hired Gillispie, we were turned down by multiple people before we hired him. When we hire Rich Brooks, we couldn't get anyone else to take the job. I remember him saying after the ass kicking LSU gave us and he was asked if he thought his job was in jeopardy "I wasn't the first person they offered this job to, so if they have someone better let them do it."

He literally said leaving Chicago for Louisville would be a cost of living increase.
Maybe not the most articulate way to say it, but a cost of living increase to him. If you make $110k a year in Chicago, and then move to Louisville for the same salary, you got a "cost of living increase" because you have more money now because the cost of living is less. I'm certain that is what he was saying if taken in context.

Louisville's problem is not that it isn't a good job. I think it is a top 10 job. Great facilities and fan base (I realize we disagree with their fan base, but they have really loyal fans). Junior Bridgeman gives them the opportunity to spend money. The biggest problem I think they have is the rebuild. Most of the coaches that would go there are going to have to come from a much lower program. That doesn't mean that there are not really good coaches out there that will take the job. With NIL and the portal, my bet is they hire a good, young coach and are relevant again in 2 years. When we hired Gillispie, we were turned down by multiple people before we hired him. When we hire Rich Brooks, we couldn't get anyone else to take the job. I remember him saying after the ass kicking LSU gave us and he was asked if he thought his job was in jeopardy "I wasn't the first person they offered this job to, so if they have someone better let them do it."

Louisville does not have a great fan base. They show up when they win, the arena is literally empty when they lose. It’s the smallest p5 fan base in all of sports. The entire state is Kentucky, even majority of their own city. That is by definition a bad fan base. And it’s a good reason to not coach at Louisville if a great job is what you want.

Also, I get it, Kentucky doesn’t have many great pro arenas or stadiums so apparently a lot of people think the YUM means so much. Well it doesn’t, there are quite a few teams that play in a pro stadium. I remember when Memphis fans used to think the FedEx forum was going to make coaches and players want to play there.

It didn’t. They don’t care. It’s fairly meaningless for anyone who wants a “top 10 job”.

Louisville was elevated by Pitino or they would have died years ago. They just got lucky. They can’t afford a great coach financially they’re having to dump most of their NIL money into football to try and survive the shifts. They also don’t have the capital to make a risky hire (Pearl) in order to win.

They’ve been a national embarrassment to the ACC, and once the SEC poaches the ACC, they go back to mid major land.

How that’s a good job and a rebuild someone wants?

Reactions: Pewee Cat
Maybe not the most articulate way to say it, but a cost of living increase to him. If you make $110k a year in Chicago, and then move to Louisville for the same salary, you got a "cost of living increase" because you have more money now because the cost of living is less. I'm certain that is what he was saying if taken in context.

I don’t really care, I think I know what he meant. But he did say it would be a cost of living increase which suggest Louisville would be more expensive to live. But it’s okay.

Reactions: SemperFiCat

Louisville does not have a great fan base. They show up when they win, the arena is literally empty when they lose. It’s the smallest p5 fan base in all of sports. The entire state is Kentucky, even majority of their own city. That is by definition a bad fan base. And it’s a good reason to not coach at Louisville if a great job is what you want.

Also, I get it, Kentucky doesn’t have many great pro arenas or stadiums so apparently a lot of people think the YUM means so much. Well it doesn’t, there are quite a few teams that play in a pro stadium. I remember when Memphis fans used to think the FedEx forum was going to make coaches and players want to play there.

It didn’t. They don’t care. It’s fairly meaningless for anyone who wants a “top 10 job”.

Louisville was elevated by Pitino or they would have died years ago. They just got lucky. They can’t afford a great coach financially they’re having to dump most of their NIL money into football to try and survive the shifts. They also don’t have the capital to make a risky hire (Pearl) in order to win.

They’ve been a national embarrassment to the ACC, and once the SEC poaches the ACC, they go back to mid major land.

YUM is a college arena. No pro team plays there. As far as fans not showing up when they suck, that is exactly what people on here advocate for us when we are not winning. Prior to Pitino being fired, between the Crum era and Pitino era, Louisville averaged a top 5/6 attendance in the country. When Sutton put us on probation, our attendance was way down. My son was at UK at the time and they sold left over student tickets that were lower level midcourt that my son would buy for me. I'm not really defending UL here, because I don't like them, but to say the dumb things about the city, history, arena and fan base is either ignorant or blindly biased.

Reactions: MegaBlue05

Cost of living decrease by quite a bit.

While Collins has done a nice job at Northwestern including making the tournament for the first time I am a bit surprised based on the original list of names being targeted. He definitely seems like a second tier choice.

Reactions: Fox2monk
While Collins has done a nice job at Northwestern including making the tournament for the first time I am a bit surprised based on the original list of names being targeted. He definitely seems like a second tier choice.
Their first tier of targets seems pretty delusional to me. Donovan, Wright, I even saw Brad Stevens’s name thrown around a few times. They’ll probably end up with someone decent, but a lot of their fans seemed to have a disconnect from reality when it comes to the coaching search.

I don’t really care, I think I know what he meant. But he did say it would be a cost of living increase which suggest Louisville would be more expensive to live. But it’s okay.
When I first read his statement I took it that way as well but I’m fairly certain he doesn’t think Louisville is more expensive than Chicago. Think more cost of living Raise which he worded increase.

Don't know anything about the guy. I would have to think he could recruit a lot easier at Louisville than Northwestern. Is this guy any better than Mack? Seems like a blah move to me.

It’s funny as hell that they think they’re getting a top tier coach. They went from Pitino to Powder to KP. That is a graph that points down and to the right. I’d expect that trend to continue and they hire a meh vs a home run.

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
I said in another thread a couple weeks ago Shaka Smart and Anthony Grant are interesting candidates heading into the carousel season.

Either one I think would be great hires for UL, and really most programs. Most likely it would be Smart, Grant is at his alma mater so he may be pretty solidly entrenched there.

As far as them trying to play the "lets whip it out game" as far as money, resources, facilities, etc... they're not going to beat NW. Top 10 richest alumni base in the country, amazing athletic facility right on the lake with a view, beach...UL is not going to outbid the hedge funders if they like Collins.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
They may have too honestly they will be paying at least 3 coaches at once.

Laughs in Vanderbilt.

A little hyperbolic today, Morg?

If I was Collins, I'd hold out for the better "almost" blue blood program...Indiana. Coach Woodson seems like he's half way out the door and no momentum towards changing things around.

Why was Kenny Payne such a disaster as a head coach for Louisville? Is he disorganized? Not understanding of Xs and Os? Poor communicator? No leadership qualities?

He was a big, big positive for you guys alongside Calipari.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT