3-Dillingham
4-Mitchell
5-Bradshaw
6-Wagner
7-Edwards
8-Thiero
9-Ugo

Now tell me Im wrong

Looking at the schedule, if we keep this rotation healthy all season we may not lose again.

1-Sheppard
2-Reeves
3-Dillingham
4-Mitchell
5-Bradshaw
6-Wagner
7-Edwards
8-Thiero
9-Ugo

Now tell me Im wrong

Looking at the schedule, if we keep this rotation healthy all season we may not lose again.
In terms of importance, I would maybe elevate Mitchell 1-2 spots. And Theiro too, he is our best rebounder and defender.

Sheppard, Dilly, Adou are 3 of the most important pieces, Mittchell DJ Reeves Bradshaw are next in line (not in particular order), then Edwards and UGO. Right now that is.

Later we will see some of this change.

1-Sheppard
2-Reeves
3-Dillingham
4-Mitchell
5-Bradshaw
6-Wagner
7-Edwards
8-Thiero
9-Ugo

Now tell me Im wrong

I think I could make a case for moving Thiero up. I'm not sure Bradshaw has done enough yet to be top 5. Otherwise, I think it's a good list. We have some good depth on this team.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
1-Sheppard
2-Reeves
3-Dillingham
4-Mitchell
5-Bradshaw
6-Wagner
7-Edwards
8-Thiero
9-Ugo

Now tell me Im wrong

Based on how they’ve actually played, I’d rank Thiero above Edwards.

I’m still holding out hope Edwards will finally start playing like the stud he was hyped to be. But until that happens, I see him no higher than 8th on this list.

I have a completely different take:
1- Wagner
2- Mitchell
3- Bradshaw
4- Sheppard/ Dillingham
5- Edwards
6-Theiro
7- Reeves
8-Ugo

lol.
Without Wagner: Loss to Wilmington.
With Wagner: Win over top ten North Carolina and blow outs over top ten Miami and Louisville on the road.

You think Wagner is the SIXTH most important player? Watch a replay of UNC-Wilmington game.

Wagner is the leading contender for ACC player of the year heading into 2024.

Last edited:
Thiero is in the top 3 of importance to this team. He is a lock down defender, he’s strong, he has experience and he changes the game defensively the way reed does for our offense.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
1-Sheppard
2-Reeves
3-Dillingham
4-Mitchell
5-Bradshaw
6-Wagner
7-Edwards
8-Thiero
9-Ugo

Now tell me Im wrong

Just give us all a break. Edwards and Bradshaw are among our most important players.

I have a completely different take:
1- Wagner
2- Mitchell
3- Bradshaw
4- Sheppard/ Dillingham
5- Edwards
6-Theiro
7- Reeves
8-Ugo
I agree this team will not wiin anything if Wagner isn't in the game as he is the on floor leader and does certain things no other can. Mitchell is the emotional leader . I would have the 9 like this .

1. wagner
2. Mitchell
3. Sheppard
4.Bradshaw
5.Reeves
6.Dilly
7.Thiero
8.Edwards
9.Ugo

the top of 4 mine honestly can only be debated in terms of order . those 4 guys are the most important. Dilly and Reeves are sorta same guy with Dilly being faster but Reeves more mature and experienced. you could easily flip them.

1-Sheppard
2-Reeves
3-Dillingham
4-Mitchell
5-Bradshaw
6-Wagner
7-Edwards
8-Thiero
9-Ugo

Now tell me Im wrong

You're wrong.

Mitchell is 1 or 2 on the list, and thiero is way undervalued, just to name two things

1-Sheppard
2-Reeves
3-Dillingham
4-Mitchell
5-Bradshaw
6-Wagner
7-Edwards
8-Thiero
9-Ugo

Now tell me Im wrong

Really interesting question and kinda depends on how you define importance or in what context.

If Wagner is near the top, the Cats might struggle to maximize their potential. He’s shooting 40 percent from the field and 28 percent from 3. And he plays a lot of minutes. Though his D is great and he shoots FTs well. You need lead guard numbers to be much better in terms ks shooting and scoring. But if by importance you mean he’s someone whose production needs to be strong (or at least better than current) for the Cats to compete for a title then that’s reasonable.

Id say it’s Dilly, Shep, Mitchell (vastly underrated), Bradshaw, and then Thiero.

Lmao reason we lost to UNCW is because literally only one player showed up to play. Not to mention, there was next to zero effort. Had nothing to do with Wagner.
You can't really say it had nothing to do w/ Wagner. Maybe he's the team's catalyst who gets the other players' engines going? I kind of put that loss on Wagner being out and Bradshaw being back; weird chemistry for the team.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
The more I look at Mitchell’s numbers and production, I might move him to number 1.

13 pts, 7 Rebounds, shooting 54 percent overall and 38 percent from 3. Nit a bad FT shooter. Considering his experience Ians versatility, I’ll move him to 2. And I forgot about Reeves lol.

Dilly, Mitchell, Reeves, Shep, Bradshaw.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You can't really say it had nothing to do w/ Wagner. Maybe he's the team's catalyst who gets the other players' engines going? I kind of put that loss on Wagner being out and Bradshaw being back; weird chemistry for the team.
I mean it’s possible. He’s has several bad games that we won. Hell, just in our last game, he was terrible. We also won comfortably.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I mean it’s possible. He’s has several bad games that we won. Hell, just in our last game, he was terrible. We also won comfortably.
Right. Wagner plays physical and is aggressive and has that needed swagger. Just dont think he’s a reliable scorer and not as offensively skilled as the 3 other guards. But if he’s gonna play 27 mins a game then his importance ranking probably is higher than I’d prefer.

My take is simple.

Everybody is important on this TEAM.

Sidenote : I know most everybody will pooh pooh this comment and thought, but consider this :

UNCW...... would have to move into 75 net or better for the loss to be considered anything but a quad 3 loss for UK, HOWEVER....

1 ) We all have to keep in mind we missed Wagner.
2 ) Is UNCW really THAT BAD ? I guess we will see if they were actually better than what everyone is saying when they play at Arkansas. And if they go on to win the conference and their conference tournament, they could be a NCAAT team ?!??? Yeah. in that conference, quite possibly so.
3 ) Maybe actually losing that game lit a fire underneath our guys to underscore the importance of them coming together for every game against every team in order to win? After that game maybe we can all say it was a totally learning moment for the guys.

I am questioning if the UNCW game might not be seen as one of those kind of games a young team needs at the point of the season when they really needed it, to learn what losing a game means, and how it affects everything. Maybe it'll be seen as the silver lining to the cloud game of the year moment for these guys.

I hope so.

just food for thought.

1. Mitchell (the glue-where would we be without him)
2. Reeves (Everyone is forgetting that he is our leading scorer)
3. Shepherd (Everyone's favorite and for good reason)
4. Dilly ( a future NBA all Star)
5. Wagner (PG is many times the #5 option)
6. Thiero (Playing above most expectations)
7. Bradshaw (Will likely rise several spots in time)
8. Edwards (pending improvement)
9.Oyenso (for now)

Reactions: GoBIG BLUE
Edwards and Wagner have to be higher in the list in terms of importance. If they start to find their rhythm and reach their potential this team is a nightmare for any opponent.

Importance and current level of play are entirely different things.

Mitchell is #1 for me. But Wagner and Edwards are 2 extremely important pieces who just haven’t played to their potential for much of the year.

Honestly this is a good question so for once I must say well done KWilt.

Best list at this point of the season.

I think Bradshaw will move up, though. Just a matter of time before he really starts affecting the game on both ends of the court.
I agree that he will. Would be nice to see Edwards move up a little but idk if that’s in the cards

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I think it's a GREAT problem to have not being able to come a consensus on this list. It really shows our depth of quality, quality players. Hoping they start to click together even more as we come into conference play.

I agree that he will. Would be nice to see Edwards move up a little but idk if that’s in the cards
Same here.

It’s funny that it seems with Cal and Freshmen there is always one that exceeds expectations (like Sheppard) and one that underperforms (like Edwards).

Reactions: drew_ukfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT