ADVERTISEMENT

UK vs Vandy ( Thur. )

Hitting, hitting, hitting!!!! How many games do you win scoring 1 run.

Exactly. We didn't get batting practice to help us get focused in and begin to see pitches in the park and all of that. They got some practice yesterday, but not pregame.

Who pitches tomorrow ? We have a problem looming, due to all these injuries to our staff, may have to go with Hazelwood or Ramsey.

Because of the rain before the game. It poured.

That sucks. I've never had a team miss BP for one reason or another and have a good day hitting. Seems like everyone is tight, there's very little emotion, and it throws EVERYONE off.

Fielding? No big deal..we skip infield before the game and they're just find. Outfielders moss the fungo? Youd never have a clue.

Guys I really went into this weekend thinking we could win this series, but if we can't score runs for Thompson tomorrow I think we get swept.

Did vandy? They didn't seem to have a problem

Some teams need it, others don't.

Like I said in a previous post my team this last year HAD to hit before the games. If we didn't take BP we looked like it was a 5am game and after a couple of those clunkers I make sure there's somewhere to hit.

It gets guys dialed in, seeing the ball, getting that feel of a couple perfect contact swings.

It's like a shooter in basketball getting that first one to fall.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
That sucks. I've never had a team miss BP for one reason or another and have a good day hitting. Seems like everyone is tight, there's very little emotion, and it throws EVERYONE off.

Fielding? No big deal..we skip infield before the game and they're just find. Outfielders moss the fungo? Youd never have a clue.

One of the problems with playing on the road isn't really so much the opposing crowd as it is not having the same routines. I imagine that's made even worse if you don't have something like bp. Interestingly, in the pre game interview Akilinski mentioned that during BP is when he gets a feel for reading fly balls off the bat in unfamiliar parks. He didn't get that tonight, but it wasn't really a problem.

I agree that this team needs to dial it in and focus, but I can understand them feeling like everything is against them when they get a guy like Thompson back only to lose Haake Lewis, Coleman and Machamer within a matter of a couple of weeks.

Alot of my guys told me it more or less just gets them game ready. Like ''ok we got bp let's go take this win! Game time now"

We also used hot/cold charts for our hitters for exact locsloca, type of pitch, and speed/velo. Having a guy who just struggled getting the bat on inside/low breaking balls, take cuts at a bunch of breaking balls from me in BP will do wonders for a guys confidence. Alot of times the kid just needs to get ahold of a couple and feel them go, which is usually enough to stop a confidence/slump issue before it starts.

Time is running short for this team to "get hot", and in fairness, will be difficult to do so with the pitching staff so depleted. Need all four of those guys back ASAP. That being said, am afraid that may be unlikely.

To rbs' point above, the hot/cold track record does not bode well considering UK would need to win 3 in a regional and hasn't won three in a weekend since Houston, when Collett was healthy and raking and every pitch looked like a beach ball to Heyer. UK's only decent shot at getting to the Super Regional stage will be to win 3 in a row.

Reactions: bigbluegrog
I would go as far to say that there is no chance this team wins 3 in a row.

Against anyone.

They don't have the fight. Last year's team had the fight. This year's team plays like it's already entitled to victory.

sorry if this is a dumb question but I recently moved and I have been not following this as close as usual. can someone tell me about all the pitching injuries? thanks

Afraid this is ending like CATS started SEC play.
Our pitching has been worse than mediocre in SEC play since Lewis outing versus the Gators at The Cliff!

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluegrog
sorry if this is a dumb question but I recently moved and I have been not following this as close as usual. can someone tell me about all the pitching injuries? thanks

I believe that Lewis and Coleman and Haake are all suffering from forearm tightness and Machamer is having a back problem.

Lewis, Coleman and Haake have tired arms. I think they are being rested for postseason. Not sure about Machamer. Someone mentioned back issues.

I would go as far to say that there is no chance this team wins 3 in a row.

Against anyone.

They don't have the fight. Last year's team had the fight. This year's team plays like it's already entitled to victory.
To say this team has no fight is just wrong. Short memory. Late inning stressful wins vs. Mississippi State, Tennessee, Missouri, Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn, Western KY, Texas Tech and top ranked Florida. Teams don't stay in the top 20 all season without fight.

This team has it's share of problems (Bullpen, RF, DH, Overall depth) but FIGHT is not one of them.

Tired arms???? Are you freakin kiddin me..i would sat no heart...jusy my opinion

Come on. We're not talking about just being tired here. We are talking about arms going numb from throwing and not being able to grip the baseball. These kids have futures and they shouldn't be throwing their arms out in college baseball.

Reactions: cats1068
Tired arms???? Are you freakin kiddin me..i would sat no heart...jusy my opinion
Lewis threw 115 pitches to beat Florida when his team needed him. I know heart when I see it. He hasn't been the same since but gutted it out against Missouri and Tennessee. I want that guy fresh for the Regional, whether we host or not. That's when it gets really important.

Coleman was ready to pitch last Sunday against Miss St. but the game got out of hand. Seems like a coach's decision to give him extra rest.

Without knowing these kids personally, their backgrounds and what they are going through, I think it's careless to question their heart.

Last edited:
Lewis threw 115 pitches to beat Florida when his team needed him. I know heart when I see it. He hasn't been the same since but gutted it out against Missouri and Tennessee. I want that guy fresh for the Regional, whether we host or not. That's when it gets really important.

Coleman was ready to pitch last Sunday against Miss St. but the game got out of hand. Seems like a coach's decision to give him extra rest.

Without knowing these kids personally, their backgrounds and what they are going through, I think it's careless to question their heart. But you do you. It's just a message board.
If UK bats hadn't looked like a bunch of little leaguers last night UK wins. It seems like every time SH pitches we don't hit. Does he get himself into jams, he most certainly does, but normally gets out of them . Last nights game wasn't on Hjelle! I'm assuming Thompson goes tonight for hopefully 7 and we'll get a damn HP ump that knows balls/strikes!! With that said HIT THE DAMN BALL and score some runs. Don't see any way we win tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT