ADVERTISEMENT

UK vs. UL 2014 Midwest semifinal game

I was blessed to be there. May have been the most satisfying win of my lifetime. Which is wild considering I’ve experienced 3 national titles in my 40 years on Mother Earth, including attending the 2012 title game in New Orleans. The shock and confusion on UofL fans’ faces walking out of Lucas Oil Stadium was priceless. 2014 was the height of their arrogance and we put them in their rightful place. They have never recovered from that night.

My favorite game of the Cal era. We were supposed to lose this one. They had a stacked team and Russ seemed unstoppable.

From what i remember, i could be wrong, but theyre might've been more UL fans than UK fans in at this one....as they were very confident and led almost the whole game.

My favorite game of the Cal era. We were supposed to lose this one. They had a stacked team and Russ seemed unstoppable.

From what i remember, i could be wrong, but theyre might've been more UL fans than UK fans in at this one....as they were very confident and led almost the whole game.
You would be correct. Before the game, I walked into a sports bar near the stadium, it was 90% Card fans. I received plenty of stares when I walked in. Most of their fans were playful in their smack talk/banter but it was obvious from pre-gaming with them (including some friends who cheered the red team), they thought this was their coronation as not only the best program in the state, but all of college basketball. Which I had trouble understanding—we had beaten them at Rupp in December and just knocked off an undefeated Wichita State team. They had struggled in their previous game vs. St. Louis. I want to say they were 4 point favorites. They were obviously a solid team, but I was confident heading into that game. Wasn’t fun falling behind 19-5 early but I never lost faith, even when we were down 7 with about four minutes to go.

What’s to forgive?

It wasn’t luck.

Cal molded that team into a contender.

Coaching greatness.
Harrison hit 3 prayer shots with a hand in his face, cal didn’t mold anything,that run was dumb luck like the whole tournament can be a lot of times, his genius plan that year that turned everything around was to move the ball more

• Sad
Reactions: Old Jim
Fantastic run to the finals. Still remember the meme that combined South Park/Aaron Harrison carrying around his massive nuts in a wheel barrow.

One of the more memorable tournament runs. We went through the gauntlet only to get screwed by rooferee in the title game.
Higgins shafted us in the 2011, 2015 Final 4s and the 2017 Elite 8 game. That was Shows‘ screw job in the 2014 title game, not the rooferee.

What a game! I was there (my Avatar is the final scoreboard) and that place was electric!🔥☄️ We were surrounded by UK fans in our section…the Loserville fans had been so annoying throughout the game but got out of there in a hurry once it was over. We all were just screaming and cheering and going crazy once the buzzer sounded for a very long time. (Of course, I’ve kept a video on my phone and had to watch it after seeing this Thread😀). It was one of my happiest moments as a ‘Cat fan, and honestly, of my life. It epitomizes what the BBN is all about!

Last edited:
Reactions: GG24
After UK took down Wichita State, Louisville, Michigan, and Wisconsin, it was mind boggling that we ended up losing to that UConn team.
If it had been UK vs Florida instead of UCon, I say there would have been NO way we would have lost to them for a 4th time! Not-so-fun fact: Mr. Higgins and Mr. Sirmons were on the whistle for UCon vs FL in the Final Four, and a little call here and there ensured we would not face Florida again.🤷‍♀️

Higgins shafted us in the 2011, 2015 Final 4s and the 2017 Elite 8 game. That was Shows‘ screw job in the 2014 title game, not the rooferee.

Yeah, 2011 Final-4. Not the 2014 title game.

269294792.gif

This thread does a really good job of reminding me all the times that calipari has dropped the ball. We should at least one more title. Probably two.

• Haha
Reactions: Old Jim
Just went and checked. I lied. 44%. Still awful though.
But when you consider UK has NEVER won an Elite Eight or Final Four game that’s he’s officiated, it’s atrocious!
2005 Elite Eight vs MSU
2011 Final Four vs UCon
2015 Final Four vs Wisconsin
2017 Elite Eight vs UNCheats

All of these were close. All were controversial. And ALL ended in losses for UK. As Cal once told him, “It’s too big of a game for this!”

Reactions: Old Jim and Mike-D
And 3 of our wins were against Vandy, Cornell, and EKU
And that 2010 Sweet Sixteen win was FAR too close. Even Jay Bilas was ranting, “There’s NO WAY you miss that call!” I’ll always wonder if our team was still affected 2 days later when we played West Virginia and Jamie Luckie!

Reactions: Mike-D
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT