ADVERTISEMENT

UK versus LSU SEC thursday......

This team has shown resilience all year. As embarrassing as a 10 run 6 1/2 inning drubbing is, I am hoping they rebound tomorrow and set up a rematch. There were some surprising breakdowns (White making a play for a ball he should leave and allowing a ball to hit the the ground that he could have stretched for, Hjelle putting several ball over the middle of the plate). Maybe we can attribute that to the fact that we haven't annually been on the stage at the top of NCAA baseball while LSU and Florida have. I don't think we performed particularly well at Florida and we really looked out of sorts against LSU. We should be back to the point where they aren't thinking about their place in the sun and should be ready to play again.

We are hosting regardless of what we do. Beat SC and LSU to make the SEC championship I think we have a real good shot at a national seed.

Watch if we don't win the tournament.
UK has been in the top 10, if not the top 5, most of the season. Been projected as a regional host since March. Came into this tournament ranked 9th I believe. I get being negative, especially after that ass kicking last night, but there's a point where you can't be taken seriously when you say things like UK won't host now because of one game. They could've gone two and out in Hoover and still been a regional host. That's not what this weekend is about.

Win today and beat LSU tomorrow and then how do you feel about being a national seed?

UK has been in the top 10, if not the top 5, most of the season. Been projected as a regional host since March. Came into this tournament ranked 9th I believe. I get being negative, especially after that ass kicking last night, but there's a point where you can't be taken seriously when you say things like UK won't host now because of one game. They could've gone two and out in Hoover and still been a regional host. That's not what this weekend is about.

Win today and beat LSU tomorrow and then how do you feel about being a national seed?
Proof is in the pudding...hope you are right.

There is a 100 percent chance that we host. Right now we are only playing for a national seed. The question is whether or not we have done enough to get one. Unfortunately, what I fear the most is that we lose out simply because the committee will find it easier to put in 2 teams from each major conference rather than 3 from one and 1 from the Pac12/Big 12.

Virginia is beating Clemson pretty soundly, so I think Clemson is easily out of the discussion. The Southern Miss loss pushed them out of the discussion. So, IMO, it is between TCU (who already lost to Kansas this weekend, but beat Oklahoma), Kentucky, and Stanford. Right now, Kentucky is 7th in RPI over both TCU and Stanford. TCU plays Kansas again tonight in an elimination game. We need to keep some pace with them if we want to be ahead of them because we are neck and neck in the RPI. If they lose today and we win then I think we may very well lock down a national seed, 7th or 8th, even if we lose to LSU on Saturday. However, if they win and we lose then I think they may get it. If we both win then it might depend on which of us goes further in the weekend. If we both lose then I think we may have a slight edge because we lost to a top 10 team and a top 40 team and they lost to a team outside the top 50 twice.

Stanford if a bit of a wild card simply because they are playing a nobody this weekend. So, they aren't really padding their resume, and as of right now they are on the outside of the top 8. Still, again, it comes down to whether or not the committee would prefer two "west" teams having national seeds.

If we lose today, I am afraid we are out of the National seed picture, we would have lost 4 of our last 6, that is not they way to finish up the season.
I believe we would wind up being the highest seeded non-National seed, and Stanford would get the # 8 NS. That would send us out to Palo Alto if we both win our regionals.

100% right. Host site is locked up. Just fighting for a super host...

If we lose today, I am afraid we are out of the National seed picture, we would have lost 4 of our last 6, that is not they way to finish up the season.
I believe we would wind up being the highest seeded non-National seed, and Stanford would get the # 8 NS. That would send us out to Palo Alto if we both win our regionals.

This is not true. The Committee does not structure the bracket on an S-curve. They place heavy emphasis on geography. It's almost a certainty that we would be paired with UL in a super, but if not UL, then it would likely be an ACC team. If we end up #9 and Stanford #8 (or vice versa) it's still doubtful that Stanford has to come to lex or that UK would have to go to palo alto

This is not true. The Committee does not structure the bracket on an S-curve. They place heavy emphasis on geography. It's almost a certainty that we would be paired with UL in a super, but if not UL, then it would likely be an ACC team. If we end up #9 and Stanford #8 (or vice versa) it's still doubtful that Stanford has to come to lex or that UK would have to go to palo alto
Not necessairly, the 9 thru 16 teams are seeded also, because they are hosting regionals. UofL has hosted Fullerton State and UC Santa Barbara the past 2 Super Regionals in 2015 and 2016. And BTW they lost both of those to the California teams.

Not necessairly, the 9 thru 16 teams are seeded also, because they are hosting regionals. UofL has hosted Fullerton State and UC Santa Barbara the past 2 Super Regionals in 2015 and 2016. And BTW they lost both of those to the California teams.

It's not universal, but there is no true seeding past the first 8. It's true that not every matchup is based on geography, but that's usually because there is not natural geographic pairing (e.g. Clemson and South Carolina get matched up a lot if both are good enough to host, same with FSU and UF; but, this year South Carolina is down so Clemson will likely get paired with a different SEC team or a Southern Miss.

The only way that UK and Stanford gets paired is if there is no natural western pairing for Stanford and if UL gets paired with a different SEC or big 10 team in close proximity.

It's not universal, but there is no true seeding past the first 8. It's true that not every matchup is based on geography, but that's usually because there is not natural geographic pairing (e.g. Clemson and South Carolina get matched up a lot if both are good enough to host, same with FSU and UF; but, this year South Carolina is down so Clemson will likely get paired with a different SEC team or a Southern Miss.

The only way that UK and Stanford gets paired is if there is no natural western pairing for Stanford and if UL gets paired with a different SEC or big 10 team in close proximity.

What is interesting is that there might not be a whole lot of West Coast teams to fill the void if you put both Stanford and Oregon State as top 8 seeds. LBSU just lost to Cal Fullerton and is now out of the top 18 RPI, so they could lose a host if they have a bad weekend. At this point there aren't many teams that are in the top 25 that are on the west coast. So, that means that either you send two top 16 teams to the WC, or you have Stanford and Oregon State match up in the supers. That would make more sense geographically than having to basically send two ACC teams to the west coast. However, they might not want to do that because then it knocks out one Pac12 team guaranteed.

I could see this being how it goes:
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

What is interesting is that there might not be a whole lot of West Coast teams to fill the void if you put both Stanford and Oregon State as top 8 seeds. LBSU just lost to Cal Fullerton and is now out of the top 18 RPI, so they could lose a host if they have a bad weekend. At this point there aren't many teams that are in the top 25 that are on the west coast. So, that means that either you send two top 16 teams to the WC, or you have Stanford and Oregon State match up in the supers. That would make more sense geographically than having to basically send two ACC teams to the west coast. However, they might not want to do that because then it knocks out one Pac12 team guaranteed.

They're not going to match up Oregon st and Stanford in supers. Only way you'll have two teams from same conference matching up in supers is if one of the two teams is a 2 or 3 seed in its pod and upsets the 1 seed.

You are right that the west coast may not have many hosts (though LBSU and Arizona are in the mix). But, if those two don't make it, you have teams like Houston, Texas Tech, and TCU that are a lot closer to the west coast.

That bracket would be a dream. UK gets national seed, gets a wilting michigan as its 2 seed (avoids dangerous 2 seed like FSU), and gets paired with fading Clemson in a super.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT