ADVERTISEMENT

UK Should Offer Dusty May

Again, you don’t know anything about the shape of the program he took over. He’s 101-59 at FAU including this year. Only winning seasons after a number of losing seasons before him. I’m not arguing that UK should hire him but to dig him as unproven at this point is just dumb.
So, the numbers I found were wrong. My bad.

So, he was like 66-56 coming into this season. Still not great.

He has a grand total of 4 tourney wins. FOUR.

That's unproven. Yes, he's off to the Final Four. Awesome.

Guess who also did that last year. Hubert Davis.

Guess where Hubert Davis is right now? Home.

Look, I'm not saying the guy is worse than Cal or any other coach.

But one good season doesn't mean jack. Especially these days.

Let's see how they finish and more importantly how they look next season. If they have returning players, which I've read they do, he should be able to repeat another great season. When you can do that?
Then you are proven.

Let's see how they finish and more importantly how they look next season. If they have returning players, which I've read they do, he should be able to repeat another great season. When you can do that?
Then you are proven.
C'mon man.

If you can't watch that team play and know that they are well coached................

Give the man his just due. He has had his team ready to play in every game against every opponent in this tournament.

He did things against K-State that half the posters on this board were screaming for Cal to do against them.

The Dude can coach and doesn't have to do another thing to prove he can coach the game AND prepare a team to play in big games.

You get Florida Atlantic to a Final Four. Oh my. Wonder the naysayers will come up with to nullify him as a candidate?
The naysayers are already circling the wagons with the whole "the game has changed due to NIL and now there's more parity" angle.

Meanwhile, UConn is about to win their 5th title since 1999.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Moths to a flame...happens every year and then we don't hear about the greatest coach ever until he is fired for non-performance. These coaches never have sustained success...

Reactions: Zissou87

Then you are proven.
Another flavor of the week.

Reactions: bbncal02 and Oboro3
C'mon man.

If you can't watch that team play and know that they are well coached................

Give the man his just due. He has had his team ready to play in every game against every opponent in this tournament.

He did things against K-State that half the posters on this board were screaming for Cal to do against them.

The Dude can coach and doesn't have to do another thing to prove he can coach the game AND prepare a team to play in big games.
The guy shits out more about the game than Cal will ever know, similar talent, he would absolutely dominate Cal!

C'mon man.

This is how we ended up with Billy G, took a coach who had 1 good season

May’s dream job is Indiana. There was a really good Athletic article on him. Grew up close to Bloomington, looked at Bob Knight as the Pope, was a student manager at IU. Woodson will retire in 2 years and if May shows continued success that is where he will go.

Reactions: bbncal02
C'mon man.

Does Davis? Because this is the exact kind of run they had.

Look where he is now. I’m not saying the dude can’t coach. But this bs of a guy winning four tourney games should be the next UK dynasty coach is stupid. Yes. Cal has got to go. Period end of discussion. But let’s pump the breaks on a guy who’s win four tourney games EVER.

He’s having a great season. Best they’ve ever had. Let’s see if he can do it again next year. Consistency is what we bitch about all the time in here right? How Cal is inconsistent in his execution?

I’m not saying May is a bad guy or even a bad coach. He’s had one, count them, ONE really good year and run. Is that really all it takes to make us giddy now?

Reactions: Graham51
Does Davis? Because this is the exact kind of run they had.

Look where he is now. I’m not saying the dude can’t coach. But this bs of a guy winning four tourney games should be the next UK dynasty coach is stupid. Yes. Cal has got to go. Period end of discussion. But let’s pump the breaks on a guy who’s win four tourney games EVER.

He’s having a great season. Best they’ve ever had. Let’s see if he can do it again next year. Consistency is what we bitch about all the time in here right? How Cal is inconsistent in his execution?

I’m not saying May is a bad guy or even a bad coach. He’s had one, count them, ONE really good year and run. Is that really all it takes to make us giddy now?
You just don’t get it. Comparing a guy (Davis) who had a great tournament run in his first year at UNC to a guy (May) who built the program from the ground up and had a great SEASON and tournament run this year, is asinine. With May it’s about far more than just getting hot and winning four games.

You just don’t get it. Comparing a guy (Davis) who had a great tournament run in his first year at UNC to a guy (May) who built the program from the ground up and had a great SEASON and tournament run this year, is asinine. With May it’s about far more than just getting hot and winning four games.
He's had a fantastic year. I'm not arguing that. At all. He had a .609 win percentage coming into the year. That's not stellar, but it looks like he's maybe turned the corner.

Can he do it next year? That's the quality and consistency that has to be demonstrated to be considered for a P5 Job.

You seem to have favoritism towards this guy.

He's had a fantastic year. I'm not arguing that. At all. He had a .609 win percentage coming into the year. That's not stellar, but it looks like he's maybe turned the corner.

Can he do it next year? That's the quality and consistency that has to be demonstrated to be considered for a P5 Job.

You seem to have favoritism towards this guy.
You mean like St. Peter's one year wonder last year??
Yeah, he had to do it 2 years in a row to get a P5 job.

I hope you are just being argumentative because you want to keep Cal, and that's OK.

But the stuff you are putting out about a P5 AD waiting to hire this guy until he proves he can win consistently is just plain BS.

This Dude will be a hot commodity after next Monday's final and I would bet his agent's phone is red hot right now.

You mean like St. Peter's one year wonder last year??
Yeah, he had to do it 2 years in a row to get a P5 job.

I hope you are just being argumentative because you want to keep Cal, and that's OK.

But the stuff you are putting out about a P5 AD waiting to hire this guy until he proves he can win consistently is just plain BS.

This Dude will be a hot commodity after next Monday's final and I would bet his agent's phone is red hot right now.
I could give three craps less about Cal.

This is how we ended up with Billy G, took a coach who had 1 good season
I know your point but Billy G’s one good season was a sweet 16 with TAMU. What a ridiculous decision by this university simply cause the guy beat Louisville at Rupp.

If I’m Dusty, I do the Mark Few route. Stay, build and don’t go to some power five and get fired cause you can’t make Minnesota competitive.

Have him support Cal for a year and then transition Cal to an administrative position or retire.
Here's a better idea: Wait to see who wins the national championship and whoever does, offer them the job. Whoever is runner-up, have them as Plan B. The other two that lose on Saturday of the national semi-finals can be options C and D. It's such a perfect laid out plan.

Reactions: Mulder14
I suspect May will be at FAU for at least one more season. The jobs that might have of interest - are filled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT