ADVERTISEMENT

I feel so sorry for Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be a 2-3 year disaster. Hopefully, there is a big name coach ready to come in and resurrect the program in a couple years. Like when Pitino came or when Calipari came.

Mark knows he isn't ready for this. hes just as bad as mitch. he comes here all we can do is work to fire him.
Wow! I thought this was a joke at first. I thought . . . no one can be this venomous!

Like it or not, Mark Pope is our coach. As for me, I will not be working to fire him. I will support and give him a wide window of opportunity to succeed here at UK. GO BIG Blue!

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
Mark knows he isn't ready for this. hes just as bad as mitch. he comes here all we can do is work to fire him.
You are the poster child as to why people outside of Kentucky say the HC job is not attractive. When money is about equal anymore among Power 5 jobs, the UK job just isn’t worth the pathetic attitudes of many of its fans. Congratulations!

So this is where the BBN lunatics come to post negative shiit about the program.
I have a suggestion for you miserables, go outside, get some sun. Stop wallowing in the negativity that has encapsulated you over the last few years. You are a minority

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU

Reactions: MonsterMash79
And if UConn had idiots like you as fans, they wouldn’t be trying to 3-peat next year
So you think UK fans would be ok with a 35-31 record? That makes me an idiot because I know that our fan base expects to win? Man this place turns very weird when there is a little buzz about a new coach, all logic goes out the window.

• Haha
Everybody thinks that the standards are way high here but, you gotta realize that Coach Pope is different from Cal. Even if he does not get the best recruits, or does not win right at the start....he's got to have time to make progress. Any coach has to figure out how to win at a new school and arguably he's bound to have more success at a bigger school like UK compared to BYU... The resources are there to win.

Is Coach Pope gonna stress NBA money over the current college ball situation that most student athletes are faced with? I hope not. Hopefully he sees the value in college just as much as anyone wanting to jump to the NBA.

What part of his resume says he's the caliber of coach Kentucky needs?

This is an awful hire. If he hadn't played here, he'd never get a sniff at the job.
This past season his BYU team beat Kansas, Baylor, Texas, Iowa State and North Carolina State. Not bad for a lesser known basketball school that can’t recruit to UKs level. What can he do as the UK coach? Let’s give him a chance.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: KFuqua and know1
I've met Mark in person when he was a player. In fact, he and Tony were instructors at a camp I attended. He's a positive guy with certainty in his convictions. It isn't some act he puts on for the media, if he can build a roster I wouldn't bet money against him.

Apparently you haven't seen Pope reading “mean tweets” on BYU TV. He doesn’t let loser social media posts drag him down
I haven’t, but I’d like to. That sounds entertaining. Got a link?

Wow, he DEFINITELY came to the right place if he enjoys reading looney fan takes on the internet.

Reactions: THE_HOOK
Its almost impossible for him to turn down the offer but Barney should never have put him in this position.

There is nothing in Mark's coaching history to support hiring him at UK. I hope I'm wrong but I expect this to work out about this well;

Mark has not coached at a blue blood and did not have the UK brand to recruit with. He will be more than fine at UK.

I started reading this thread and thought it was all a joke like one of those reverse curse types of things. But, it seems the real negative Nancies are just going to remain on this board even after we got rid of Cal and just jump on Pope as they next target. Very happy I don't have to spend real life time with most of you. Give the guy a freaking chance!

I started reading this thread and thought it was all a joke like one of those reverse curse types of things. But, it seems the real negative Nancies are just going to remain on this board even after we got rid of Cal and just jump on Pope as they next target. Very happy I don't have to spend real life time with most of you. Give the guy a freaking chance!
Lot of shameful BS. Nasty. I will never understand how some folks are wired. Do they choose to be that way, or do they blame their parents?

Reactions: ORCAT
Nope, that was a common feeling right after we heard about Mark taking the job. Now that I'm not so ignorant about Mark I'm actually pretty encouraged.

Reactions: entropy13 and ORCAT
The groupthink that now prevents any criticism of this hire is pretty wild considering everyone's first instinct (before they were sold on it by media and the admin) was to hate it.

• Haha
Reactions: SemperFiCat
Nope, that was a common feeling right after we heard about Mark taking the job. Now that I'm not so ignorant about Mark I'm actually pretty encouraged.
I kinda understand that. I was, at first disappointed too, but have warmed up to Pope now and am on board to back him. But, many of those remarks were so venomous and just nasty with no real basis. Quick trigger fingers on the keyboard I guess.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
The groupthink that now prevents any criticism of this hire is pretty wild considering everyone's first instinct (before they were sold on it by media and the admin) was to hate it.
Oh no. It ain't like that. Not everyone was showing thier arse in the first hours after the news. Maybe not even 50%. I'm not keeping score, but some of you acting like it's ok to act shameful when the mob is and knee jerk yourselves into embarrament. And then when the mob settles down, it's all, 'I change my mind, we're all good'. Don't blame mob mentality. Own it. Say y'all were acting like toddlers who didn't get the toy they wanted for their birthday.

Oh no. It ain't like that. Not everyone was showing thier arse in the first hours after the news. Maybe not even 50%. I'm not keeping score, but some of you acting like it's ok to act shameful when the mob is and knee jerk yourselves into embarrament. And then when the mob settles down, it's all, 'I change my mind, we're all good'. Don't blame mob mentality. Own it as say y'all we're acting like toddlers who didn't get the toy they wanted for their birthday.
Yes, that's the only reason anyone could've been skeptical of hiring a coach who hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in 10 years of coaching

Reactions: UKortho
Yes, that's the only reason anyone could've been skeptical of hiring a coach who hasn't won an NCAA tournament game in 10 years of coaching
Having an opinion on Pope is perfectly fine. Even understandable. But grabbing torches and pitchforks and completely getting nasty is not. Totally losing your maturity isn't. Y'all acted embarrassing. I understand the emotion. I can even handle it. But now, when the mob is against you, you don't get to act like it didn't happen or it was justified. Own your actions. (I'm not specifically targeting you. The post-hire mob in general)

I feel sorry for him because we have fans like this who have written him off before he’s ever coached a damn game or assembled a staff or roster even. Mark now has all the resources he could have ever dreamed of having at BYU at his disposal. Pope is a Wildcat through and through and deserves this chance as much as anyone. He’s a very smart guy and by all accounts a great guy to play for. Lots of coaches careers took off when they were given much better circumstances to coach in. I’ll bet Mark even has enough humility to know there are fans out there who resent his being hired or don’t think he deserves it and will openly admit it. But he also has the fortitude to weather that criticism. I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Just give him a chance.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Pitino didn't have to or wouldn't lay it on so thick if he didn't truly believe Pope couldn't do the job. All this talk of not winning an NCAA tournament game isn't as big a deal as some believes. Most of the time I imagine his first round games was against a very high seed, playing and winning games in the NCAA tournament against better teams is a tough spot to be in, unless you played Kentucky the last several years. Pope is 51 years old and a smart man and a good coach, it wasn't all Mitch's decision, the powers that be had to agree on a coach and considering all things, Pope was the man they thought could do the job given the chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT