ADVERTISEMENT

UK/Indiana Game 7 ESPN2

What a win. I have been a huge Ming critic but you have to give the man credit- he built this roster and the kids delivered under tremendous pressure. I can’t be happier for the coaching staff and the players.

Major salute to him and I'll take my crow. I think he's found something with building transfer portal teams and then meshing that with HS talent.

I would guess Coach Mingione is back in everybodys good graces? I was upset after the one and done in the SEC tournament, but he has us 2 wins away from Omaha now.

He did a helluva job of assembling this roster.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I would guess Coach Mingione is back in everybodys good graces? I was upset after the one and done in the SEC tournament, but he has us 2 wins away from Omaha now.

He did a helluva job of assembling this roster.
Still question a lot of decisions he makes, but have to give him credit for assembling this team and then creating an identity that they have used all season. Hope the season continues, but also hope this is the start of a consistent trend.

Congrats to NM and the UK players. Also a nice job by the UK crowd. College baseball is different because so many games are played and there's always ups and downs, just the nature of the beast. Now the hope is UK's "in it to win it" and not just "glad to be there."

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Best UK baseball atmosphere I've ever seen. The park was electric from beginning to end and it was downright insane in the 6th when we finally scored some runs. Kudos to the home folks for showing up, it made a difference.

Reactions: Abominal Blueman
I have been a critic of Ming, but I have to give credit where it's due:

-Pitching decisions were on point all weekend, from starting Travis on Friday to knowing when to go to Mason Moore to starting Strick against WVU. The only mistake that was made (IMO) was leaving Zack Lee in one or two batters too many against IU in game 1. Other than that, he batted 1.000.

-Making McCarthy the RF this weekend made a huge difference at the plate (multiple HR) and didn't hurt us in the field. He was much more productive than McCoy has been.

-Our pitching coach deserves a raise. Our Pitching was steady Eddie rock solid the entire Weekend.

-Not many base running issues or mis-timed bunts (though I still hate showing bunt with two outs and wasting a strike).

-A few dumb challenges (per usual), but nothing that made me want to throw something onto the field.

Excellent game management all weekend long.

Reactions: permdaddy
Still question a lot of decisions he makes, but have to give him credit for assembling this team and then creating an identity that they have used all season. Hope the season continues, but also hope this is the start of a consistent trend.
But is he making the decisions this season like in previous seasons? Offensively, he's on third base. I doubt he is making all the calls. I've heard in interviews that he asks the players what they want to do in those timeouts. Still, the results this season have been way more sane, than the last three years so being able to make changes necessary he deserves some credit.

We need to realize that the roster turns over just like Calipari this year. I can't set high expectations for next season, but this has been an amazing surprise this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT