ADVERTISEMENT

UK gets Crystal ball pick for Jeremy Roach

I love our recruiting right now. I hope Calipari stays forever lol.

Yep... It’s why i was so troubled to see people genuinely calling for Cal to be fired after the weekend of Zion —> Duke/ UF loss. jFCaTs , Zay (reverse Jinx) and a large handful of others were legitimately suggesting we fire Cal and replace him (yet they couldn’t name ONE attainable coach to replace him lol)

It’s going to be quite the wake up call when Cal eventually retires. We’re , literally, in the midst of the best 10 year run in this HISTORY of our program and we are typically , at worst, a legit threat for a tourney run ... yet we still had/ have people wanting to fire him. I truly will never understand

Last edited:
Yep... It’s why i was so troubled to see people genuinely calling for Cal to be fired after the weekend of Zion —> Duke/ UF loss. jFCaTs , Zay (reverse Jinx) and a large handful of theirs were legitimately suggesting we fire Cal and replace him (yet they couldn’t name ONE attainable coach to replace him lol)

It’s going to be quite the wake up call when Cal eventually retires. We’re , literally, in the midst of the best 10 year run in this HISTORY of our program and we are typically , at worst, a legit threat for a tourney run ... yet we still had/ have people wanting to fire him. I truly will never understand

Anyone calling for a firing is insane, but it was clear at that point that we'd been knocked off a certain pedestal. It wasn't just that he chose Duke, it's that we were so confident of getting him and he picked Duke literally out of nowhere. They had the momentum. It was a bit concerning, especially considering the iffy team we had at the moment - were we doomed to get fringe one and dones who will struggle to compete then bolt?

Obviously, the narrative has changed immensely since then.

I think Cal has started pursuing every top 20 player in every class. You want to play at UK then come on down. If you're not sure you may not have a spot still open if you wait.

I love it and it's kind of a message you will not string me along, because we're taking whoever wants it first.

Anyone calling for a firing is insane, but it was clear at that point that we'd been knocked off a certain pedestal.

We really got knocked off the pedestal when at worst we've finished 2nd in the nation every year in recruiting. Alot of the misses seemed to be behind the scenes dirty dealings that alot of schools was participating in. I'll take Calipari every day and his approach to doing things right.

I think Cal has started pursuing every top 20 player in every class. You want to play at UK then come on down. If you're not sure you may not have a spot still open if you wait.

I love it and it's kind of a message you will not string me along, because we're taking whoever wants it first.

Sounds like it, at least in part. And it's an automatic filtering system. The kids who want to be here will be here. The ones who want to wait it out to make sure they are offered the absolute most at a school, will go elsewhere.

Cal has somehow entered another elevation. God-like almost. He's putting no recruit on a pedestal, because a top10 Center will be just as good as a top5. And that, amazingly, creates buzz. It makes the top5 Center say "wait a second". You want what you can't have (or rather can't be given).. seems to be working.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Anyone calling for a firing is insane, but it was clear at that point that we'd been knocked off a certain pedestal. It wasn't just that he chose Duke, it's that we were so confident of getting him and he picked Duke literally out of nowhere. They had the momentum. It was a bit concerning, especially considering the iffy team we had at the moment - were we doomed to get fringe one and dones who will struggle to compete then bolt?

Right on , but I said it then and it’s proven now that we didn’t really so much “lose out to Duke” as they were cheating. They bought the Bagleys a $1 million dollar home (facts not speculation) along with getting the family out of bankruptcy and footing the bill for a private school in Cali that’s attended by millionaire celebrities.

Not to mentnion the super sketchy ability of Duke to be able to not only get ONE elite stud reclassified in the matter of 16 days but TWO (duval and bagley ) Duke/ Capel were clearly cheating. Now for example, that Capel is gone Dukes recruiting seems to have taken a potential major “hit” while Cal has been a god damn savage on the recruiting trail

Last edited:
Really like Roach. Cal does a great job of grabbing PGs other elite players wanna play with.

We’re , literally, in the midst of the best 10 year run in this HISTORY of our program and we are typically , at worst, a legit threat for a tourney run ... yet we still had/ have people wanting to fire him. I truly will never understand
Frank, I'm totally with you.

Rick's run in 96-98 (sorry Tubby) is the only point of discussion. But decade? And dominance in recruiting?

What a symphony of success the Maestro Cal is conducting. And it is NOT over...not even close.

Yeah, I can't recall anyone that is remotely taken seriously on this board, or HOB, calling for Calipari to be fired.

That's just a bizarre statement or take on things. Everyone I've talked to and most everyone on this board want Cal around as our coach as long as possible. They're all extremely happy to have him. Not sure how that one poster came up with the idea of fans wanting Cal fired. Weird!

We really got knocked off the pedestal when at worst we've finished 2nd in the nation every year in recruiting. Alot of the misses seemed to be behind the scenes dirty dealings that alot of schools was participating in. I'll take Calipari every day and his approach to doing things right.

Rick's run in 96-98 (sorry Tubby) is the only point of discussion. But decade? And dominance in recruiting?

What a symphony of success the Maestro Cal is conducting. And it is NOT over...not even close.

You can feel that it’s reached another level and slipped into a higher gear.

Reactions: uky8unc5

Why fans try to give Rick credit for 98 is beyond me. Rick won 1 title at UK and didn't do anything in 98. That was Tubby. Rick just recruited the players. Rick lost in 97 with his players (a better team in most people's view) and even the narcissist himself said he wouldn't have won the championship in 98.

Yeah, I can't recall anyone that is remotely taken seriously on this board, or HOB, calling for Calipari to be fired.
There were a few. Not many but a few. The vast majority were just people who only post after a loss saying something like “one and done’s just not working, it’s time to move on.” So once the team started winning again they were nowhere to be found.

That's just a bizarre statement or take on things. Everyone I've talked to and most everyone on this board want Cal around as our coach as long as possible. They're all extremely happy to have him. Not sure how that one poster came up with the idea of fans wanting Cal fired. Weird!

Because people were melting the F down after the weekend of Zion -> Duke/ UF loss.

Granted it wasn’t even the majority but there were several, a Few active and well known, posters who were clamoring for Cal to be replaced and or being on the “hot seat”

Last edited:
Reactions: ORCAT
I can think of 3 active and longtime posters off the top of my head who wanted/ suggested we fire and replace Cal

It's the glory of God to pass over a transgression. I haven't seen Cpop up for awhile. I think they were frustrated with the special treatment Nike, the media, and the NCAA o scantly gives them. Cal couldn't work any harder than he has and he couldn't be any more honorable than he has in doing it. I don't think those same posters will be chiming in now
Because people were melting the F down afternoon the weekend of Zion -> Duke/ UF loss.

Granted it wasn’t even the majority but there were several, a Few active and well known, posters who were clamoring for Cal to be replaced and or being on the “hot seat”

Hey guys, that was a bad week of events. People were simply frustrated and
Freaking out. It happens. Jesus forgave Peter for denying him, surely we can let these silly things slide. We've had a great fall so far with football and basketball. I've never felt better about UK sports in my life and I've been following them since 66 in both sports.

Because people were melting the F down after the weekend of Zion -> Duke/ UF loss.

I do remember something like that now but I don't think it was many or any who we might really respect on this board very much. Also, do we know if maybe some of those posts were just trolls trying to stir up BBN and Rafters? I just know of no real UK fans who have been or would be calling for Cal to be fired. What's your experience with that, Frank, have you heard any UK fans actually talking to you about Cal being fired at any time, even back then?

Cal was never on the hot seat. You can't replace him so regardless he can't ever be fired. Even if he missed 2 tournaments in a row, you just can't.

But he was getting a bit too comfortable or something. Maybe it was the FBI thing, maybe Duke was getting a nike push. Or maybe Cal just needed to be motivated.

Why fans try to give Rick credit for 98 is beyond me. Rick won 1 title at UK and didn't do anything in 98. That was Tubby. Rick just recruited the players. Rick lost in 97 with his players (a better team in most people's view) and even the narcissist himself said he wouldn't have won the championship in 98.
We were discussing the best decade in UK history. Right?

I personally think Ratface is purposefully tanking recruiting for 2019 class because if fit hit shan he can point to Capel and say it was his doing, look what happened after he left...
Also remember that weekend calling for Cal to get fired, that's the first time I've blocked anybody aND believe I blocked two peeps...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT