ADVERTISEMENT

UK Football and Coach Mark Stoops. They Look a Lot Alike

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Stoops snuck a comment into a recent interview that has drawn no commentary I have seen or read.

When mention was made of his 9 years of longevity coaching at U.K., he quickly answered back “looking forward to the next 9 years, here.”

I like that.

Mark Stoops isn’t the prettiest, flashiest, tallest Coach in America. But in brief encounters and from a distance, I have always felt he has a “knock your d$&k in the dirt” mentality that is clearly reflected in his team, his defense, and especially his secondary. As noted in another thread, during the TS/Gator Bowl, when Tisdale wasn’t knocking opponents down, he knocked one of his own out.

There’s an “edge” to the program that was missing for decades, that was nearly established under Claiborne.

And to be blunt: this “edge” isn’t exactly pretty.

It’s an edge that hits hard, maybe a tad late, with maybe a pancake tackle at the line, and then an L’s Down for emphasis.

To be perfectly blunt: we have a pretty nasty attitude.

Quinton Bohanna followed the MSU QB around all game last year holding up (in fingers) the number of picks he’d thrown, (until he ran out of fingers on one hand-they threw 6 picks). He did the same in the TS/Gator Bowl.

And this edge gets a tad ugly: we gave up over 60 yards in personal foul penalties in the last 17 minutes of the bowl. But it is what it is. The game isn’t meant for the nicest of the Choir Boys.

And I find the view of our program from up I-64 to be amusing: some actually ask in threads why we dislike them so much, and did the “L’s down” with such pleasure . . . .

They’ve apparently forgotten the days when the birds had the same swagger . . . . when their Coaching Staff related BP 1.0 hanging a picture of the 28-0 beatdown and calling us “slapdicks,” and their fans calling us “U of L’s Play Toy,” and running in a final TD with under 20 seconds left of a game in hand, etc, etc., etc.

Well, that sh!t will get you trick plays in the 4th quarter of rainy day beatdowns, and whining about “L’s Down,” will get a smirk from our Coach, because, frankly, he doesn’t give much of a sh!t about a Cardinal’s feelings on the Saturday after Thanksgiving!

We needed a shot of Stoops for decades. And I hope we keep him for at least another decade.

Last edited:
Agree with this sentiment that toughness is much higher around the program than has been in modern era for sure.

But it starts mainly with we are just fundamentally stronger/tougher on both the DL and OL....not just paltry personal fouls, smack talking, etc... UK is truly sound up front on both sides is the difference. I remember the old days that teams could eventually just line up and smash the ball down our throat on defense. We could make some plays in a game but I Saturdays teams would not have to punt an entire half or maybe 2 times a total game.. That stuff doesn't happen any more.

Don't even get me started on how much better the OL (Big Blue Wall) has been the past 5 years under Stoops as well.0

Love the toughness, but still you have to be smart and limit the stupid penalties. They are drive killers for the offense and drive extenders for the defense. A few Mean Joe Greenes on a team are an asset if they play smart along with it.

If Stoops does stick around here another nine years and we continue to ascend the SEC and regularly have years like 2018 and like this season projects to be, who will go down as the better Stoops Coach? Bob or Mark? Bob took over a program rich with Tradition and brought it back to prominence and National Title contention. He had history and Tradition on his side much like coaches at regular powers have. Mark took a traditionally downtrodden program and turned it into a team able to compete at high levels consistently. Who gets the nod?

Stoops snuck a comment into a recent interview that has drawn no commentary I have seen or read.

When mention was made of his 9 years of longevity coaching at U.K., he quickly answered back “looking forward to the next 9 years, here.”

I like that.

Mark Stoops isn’t the prettiest, flashiest, tallest Coach in America. But in brief encounters and from a distance, I have always felt he has a “knock your d$&k in the dirt” mentality that is clearly reflected in his team, his defense, and especially his secondary. As noted in another thread, during the TS/Gator Bowl, when Tisdale wasn’t knocking opponents down, he knocked one of his own out.

There’s an “edge” to the program that was missing for decades, that was nearly established under Claiborne.

It’s an edge that hits hard, maybe a tad late, with maybe a pancake tackle at the line, and then an L’s Down for emphasis.

Quinton Bohanna followed the MSU QB around all game last year holding up (in fingers) the number of picks he’d thrown, (until he ran out of fingers on one hand-they threw 6 picks). He did the same in the TS/Gator Bowl.

And this edge gets a tad ugly: we gave up over 60 yards in personal foul penalties in the last 17 minutes of the bowl. But it is what it is. The game isn’t meant for the nicest of the Choir Boys.

And I find the view of our program from up I-64 to be amusing: some actually ask in threads why we dislike them so much, and did the “L’s down” with such pleasure . . . .

They’ve apparently forgotten the days when the birds had the same swagger . . . . when their Coaching Staff related BP 1.0 hanging a picture of the 28-0 beatdown and calling us “slapdicks,” and their fans calling us “U of L’s Play Toy,” and running in a final TD with under 20 seconds left if a game in hand, etc, etc., etc.

Well, that sh!t will get you trick plays in the 4th quarter of rainy day beatdowns, and whining about “L’s Down,” will get a smirk from our Coach, because, frankly, he doesn’t give much of a sh!t about a Cardinal’s feelings on the Saturday after Thanksgiving!

We needed a shot of Stoops for decades. And I hope we keep him for at least another decade.
I agree with your comments. Most coaches will tell you they'd rather have to reel in an overly aggressive guy than try to get a passive one more aggressive. The key is time and location of the aggressiveness. Avoiding them in obvious important situations (3rd/4th downs etc) is the key.

Reactions: Greasy Creak Mafia
If Stoops does stick around here another nine years and we continue to ascend the SEC and regularly have years like 2018 and like this season projects to be, who will go down as the better Stoops Coach? Bob or Mark? Bob took over a program rich with Tradition and brought it back to prominence and National Title contention. He had history and Tradition on his side much like coaches at regular powers have. Mark took a traditionally downtrodden program and turned it into a team able to compete at high levels consistently. Who gets the nod?
That's pretty easy to calculate if you have all the data Which coach performed the most over historical avg. Anecdotally, it would seem Mark would win that one, but we won't know for sure until the data is run.

I like that.

They’ve apparently forgotten the days when the birds had the same swagger . . . . when their Coaching Staff related BP 1.0 hanging a picture of the 28-0 beatdown and calling us “slapdicks,” and their fans calling us “U of L’s Play Toy,” and running in a final TD with under 20 seconds left if a game in hand, etc, etc., etc.

Even early om when he was losing opposing teams would talk about UK lines being the hardest hitting they faced!

Reactions: The-Hack
John Schlarman is an integral part of this. He made playing positions that are usually over looked, taken for granted- and down right forgotten- the identity of our team. No matter what kind of play we get from the more glamorous positions our offensive line is our foundation. BBN celebrates our big fellas and that is a direct credit to our late, great offensive line coach.

Our foundation is rock solid still, time for the rest to come into place. I am a believer.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT