ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball ***** UK Basketball Pro Day 2024 *****

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Hello again, HOB. Down at newly renovated Memorial Coliseum for the return of UK Basketball Pro Day this evening. The Cats will be working out for NBA scouts from about 6-7:30. I’ll share some observations here with you in this thread…

* It’s only warm ups, but it’s crazy to see so many shots hitting nothing but net.

* Cats get some last-second instructions from Mark Pope and break the team huddle at midcourt with “1-2-3 JUICE!”

* Practice begins with a diving on floor for loose balls drill on one end and a charge-taking drill on the other. Interesting. I bet that’s never occurred at a UK Pro Day.

* Perry and Carr just combined to hit about 12 3s in a row from the right wing. Carr finally had one rim out. Perry was dead-center every shot.

* They have a drill where they have to go end to end for X amount of time and try to put up as many points as they can. Pope watches that time and scoreboard like a hawk, barking at Cats to keep pushing.

* Kriisa is a charge-taking fool out here. Defensive pest.

* Garrison getting after it defensively on a drill where they give the offensive player 5 seconds to attack the basket, and he’s got to defend against several guys in a row, rapid-fire. He rejected/altered several shots and got high-fives from the other guys in the blue jerseys.

* Butler and Kriisa seem to be the energy guys who lead and pull this team along with them.

* Oweh is intriguing. I think his offensive game might be limited to attacking off the bounce and scoring in transition right now, but he just offers a lot in terms of defensive length and physicality.

SOME 5-on-5 SCRIMMAGING STARTS…

* Blue Team is Butler, Brea, Carr, Garrison, Perry

* White Team is Oweh, Kriisa, Robinson, Williams, Noah

* Chandler rotating in for Perry on Blue, Almonor for Noah on White. Looks like it’s a rep apiece for those guys, in and out.

* Pope stops play to get on guys about the ball stopping. Wants that thing moving. Move it or shoot it.

* Observation: Bringing these bigs along may be the key to starting strong this season. I think the perimeter is going to be very good (or better). Still have questions about how these guys will look in the paint.

BACK TO PRACTICE DRILLS…

* 3v3 work in halfcourt sets against the walk-ons on each end. Robinson with a super-smooth step-back 3. I think he’s gonna make a lot of buckets on that one this season.

* Kriisa nice corner 3 on the move. Guy is a constant ball of energy.

* Working a lot of back-door cuts off Williams’ passing in the high post.

* Chandler looks like he’s getting back into basketball shape. He’s been assertive today.

* Another observation: I think this is an intriguing bunch. A lot of interesting parts to work with. No clear-cut stud (yet). They’ll need a great system. I think they have one. But it’s just different from what we’ve been watching the last 14 years.

* Noticed a lot of "connectivity" as far as the players with arms around each other, picking guys up, that sort of thing. Seems like a close-knit bunch, despite having come from a lot of different backgrounds to form a new team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.