ADVERTISEMENT

UK Baseball/Softball Media Day

Comebakatz3

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2008
Today is media day. Started about half an hour ago. I read through the media guide and this is what stood out to me:

UK Baseball Media Guide

Here are the most important things to note about the 'Season Guide,' so far:

1. Jimmy Ramsey - His outlook states that he likely will be used as a bullpen guy.
2. Dillon Marsh - Also going to be a bullpen guy.
3. Sean Harney - Closer is mentioned in the guide just 4 times. With Harney it states, "Could be the closer." The other times are with Ramsey, which just states he could either be a closer or starter, but likely will be used a lot, and with Rigsby, which is calls him the closer of the future. So, Harney may be our closer this season. Also states he has the best curveball on the staff to go along with a 94mph fastball.
4. Zack Lee - 'Slated as likely weekend starter in 2021." - This is huge news. UK looking for the pieces on the weekend and have already slated relatively lightly used Zack Lee for that role.
5. Holt Jones/Zach Kammin - Both have somewhat underwhelming outlooks which leads me to believe that they will likely be bullpen guys rather than starters.
6. Austin Strickland might be the midweek guy.
7. Daniel Harper is coming off of a hip injury, so he will be coming back slowly.
8. Austin Schultz - The staff is going to move him to outfield IMO. The outlooks says, "seemed to find a home in the OF," and I have heard they are working him there more. That likely means that Cam Hill or Jaren Shelby are getting booted from their starting roles. Rhodes isn't likely to get the boot given his year last year. I think this means that Zeke Lewis will be your starting 2B.

So I think you see this:

Friday: Hazelwood
Saturday: Hagenow/Stupp
Sunday: Lee

Midweek: Strickland/Hagenow/Stupp

DH: Anu
1B: Collett
2B: Lewis
SS: Ritter
3B: Estep/Plastiak
C: Rubalcaba
LF: Schultz
C: Hill/Shelby
RF: Rhodes

So, I think everything is fairly set except for who will fill 1 weekend spot and who will get 3rd and the last OF spot.

Reactions: parrott
So, if you ask me, I think UK will try Schultz out in the OF for as long as they can. I don't know how well he will do out there defensively, but if he continues to hit, they will keep him out there. From hearing/reading the comments from Ming, it sounds like Shelby (of all people) might just be the odd man out and Hill will be in CF. Of course, I imagine they will tinker with this to see who does well. If the past is any indication, the staff may have Hill out there when they face a righty and Shelby out there when they face a lefty.

Sounds like 2nd and 3rd are still somewhat up in the air with a lot of possibilities with the combo of 3 above. I imagine it comes down to who hits. If Lewis hits like he did a year ago then he'll be at 2nd and the other two will fight for 3rd, again with the top hitter coming out on top.

Once again, it is interesting to note that Kessler, who was a star 2 years ago, is likely not starting anymore and I'm not even sure what role he will play for UK.

Everyone is back but lots of change with the starting staff. Hopefully Stupp and Lee’s jump is real and Hagenow and Strickland are ready. Was hoping Kammin would make more of an impact, but we’ll see.

Think there is a number of decent arms where hopefully Mingione and Roszel have a settled and good bullpen come conference play.

You can squint and see potential imo but we’ll see how it goes.

Reactions: MRobCat589
I listened to coach speak at media Day. He threw some hints into his line up. I think you are spot on Comebakatz3. Seems a battle for 3B & 2B.. I would go with Lewis at 2B....for now.

OF positions are somewhat surprising. Rhodes will definetly be in RF. Coach praised Cam...so you think he at least starts in CF. The surprise ( to me at least) is Schutz in LF. I had heard he was taking some reps there, but was under the impression it was just to see if it would work. Seems though he will start in LF

Reactions: MRobCat589
Everyone is back but lots of change with the starting staff. Hopefully Stupp and Lee’s jump is real and Hagenow and Strickland are ready. Was hoping Kammin would make more of an impact, but we’ll see.

Think there is a number of decent arms where hopefully Mingione and Roszel have a settled and good bullpen come conference play.

You can squint and see potential imo but we’ll see how it goes.

Those are just my guesses based on my reading of the media guide. I could be reading it entirely wrong, but to me, the part on Kammin is just kind of underwhelming. His outlook section states:

"Lanky right-hander who dominated at a lower level before transferring to UK…Fastball has been up to 95 and is explosive out of his hand…Has a four-pitch mix that features a splitter in the mold of former 14-year MLB pitcher Mike Boddicker as his out pitch…Really understands how to pitch and grind through a game even if he doesn’t have his best stuff…Professional approach…Learned he belonged at this level as he had success in the fall."

There is nothing bad about this in particular, but it just doesn't really state what his role might be or what he might do in 2021. Now, compare that to Zack Lee's:

"Second-year right-hander with a big arm has tantalized with his physical gifts since arriving on campus…Coaches say he has “ace-type stuff”… Considered to have one of the best arms on the staff while running his fastball up to the mid-90s with sink…Hard slider and developing change-up…Inexperienced but loads of potential and electric natural stuff…Made mechanical adjustment to speed up his delivery and was nearly unhittable during fall ball…Continues to show improved maturity…Slotted as a likely weekend starter in 2021."

or even Hunter Rigsby, which actually sets out a role or possible role for him:

"Big, tall right-hander with a strong two-pitch arsenal featuring a power fastball and curve…Doesn’t mess around on the mound, coming right at hitters…Has refined his body control and awareness of mechanics… Coaches talk about how comfortable he is on the mound and his ability to simplify things and make adjustments…Has shown improved consistency with location and added a change-up…Potential closer of the future…Will be major piece out of the bullpen."

So, with Kammin it seems like he has some good stuff and that he belongs at UK, but there is just something missing there. I don't know what, but it just doesn't glow or pop the way some of the others do.

I listened to coach speak at media Day. He threw some hints into his line up. I think you are spot on Comebakatz3. Seems a battle for 3B & 2B.. I would go with Lewis at 2B....for now.

OF positions are somewhat surprising. Rhodes will definetly be in RF. Coach praised Cam...so you think he at least starts in CF. The surprise ( to me at least) is Schutz in LF. I had heard he was taking some reps there, but was under the impression it was just to see if it would work. Seems though he will start in LF

I have heard that Schultz being out there is really not working defensively and that he is not very good out there. However, I think they believe that Schultz can hit and they just don't have a place for him other than out there in the OF. I think they will probably experiment with it for a while and give him every chance to prove that he can compete out there defensively. If he starts to slack in hitting or defense then Shelby could take it back. If his defense is really bad and Lewis doesn't hit then maybe they move him to second. I also saw some talk about Estep at 2nd and Plastiak at 3rd. Basically, as predicted, this middle infield depth is leaking out to other positions.

Reactions: MAYHOO22
I have heard that Schultz being out there is really not working defensively and that he is not very good out there. However, I think they believe that Schultz can hit and they just don't have a place for him other than out there in the OF. I think they will probably experiment with it for a while and give him every chance to prove that he can compete out there defensively. If he starts to slack in hitting or defense then Shelby could take it back. If his defense is really bad and Lewis doesn't hit then maybe they move him to second. I also saw some talk about Estep at 2nd and Plastiak at 3rd. Basically, as predicted, this middle infield depth is leaking out to other positions.

Ming did say he has moved to the OF so looks like he will start out there.

Of course we went through 15 games and we still moving guys around last year.

It was good to hear they have worked a ton on defense and they look better. I'm excited to see Ritter at SS and Rubalcaba at C.

Ming did say he has moved to the OF so looks like he will start out there.

Of course we went through 15 games and we still moving guys around last year.

It was good to hear they have worked a ton on defense and they look better. I'm excited to see Ritter at SS and Rubalcaba at C.

I think they'll give him every opportunity out there and every benefit of the doubt. However, I've heard he's a defensive liability out there. Still, I think they'll leave him out there unless he is also offensively a liability.

Do we see any freshman getting some PT?

He mentioned Church at 3B and that Hagenow was coming around and has good stuff but won't be in the rotation at least the first series.

Anyone else? Probably a reliever or two?
King in the OF but that seems far unless someone gets hurt.

Do we see any freshman getting some PT?

He mentioned Church at 3B and that Hagenow was coming around and has good stuff but won't be in the rotation at least the first series.

Anyone else? Probably a reliever or two?
King in the OF but that seems far unless someone gets hurt.

Well, let's break it down:

Reuben Church (3B/1B) - I think the staff likes him, and I think we might see him a bit early on. If he impresses then he could find some time, but it seems more likely that Plastiak and Estep are at third rather than Church. He could have some occasional pinch hitting spots, but he is a righty, so I think Harmon and Shelby will eat up those opportunities before he gets that many.

Jack Hicks (2B) - Seems like the staff likes his talent at second, but I think he is behind others. So, they will look for him to grow up and catchup rather than play an immediate role.

Nolan McCarthy (UTL) - They consider him a big time prospect for UK and I think he's one they try to find a spot for somewhere eventually, but maybe not this year. Wouldn't be surprised if they try him in the OF in the future. Again, just has to develop.

Wyatt Hudepohl (RHP) - Seems like he will be a big bullpen piece. They consider this guy a future starter for us. Throws in the 96-97 range at the moment and they say he has the best arm on the team. I imagine we see him early and often.

Houston King (OF) - If he plays at all it will be as a pinch runner. Kid has some speed and they will want to utilize that, but I don't think he's physically ready to do much more than run, and probably fill in some defensively. Probably see him used much like Lewis was early in his career.

Ryan Hagenow (RHP) - I think he probably starts on the weekends from the go, but UK might try to ease him in a bit and either give him some midweek work or put him in for long relief. He will be a major piece of our rotation regardless.

Evan Byers (LHP) - Redshirting 2021 after undergoing TJ surgery this past summer.

Devin Burkes (C) - Staff is looking for this kid to be the catcher of the future. I don't see him playing much of a role this season. I imagine you have Rubalcaba starting, Kessler backing up and then I believe it is Hord as the bullpen guy. Maybe Burkes gets some bullpen duty and some spot work. Can play multiple positions, but is best behind the plate.

Seth Logue (RHP) - Will play a role this year, likely out of the bullpen. The question for him will be whether or not he rises to that occasion when given the chance. If he does, his role will grow, but if he doesn't then it will likely shrink and he will have to wait for next year to get more looks in competitive games.

Austin Strickland (RHP) - He will be a huge factor this year. He will be pitching somewhere, whether it be weekends, midweek or bullpen... it's happening. I think he should be our midweek guy that grows confidence in that spot and gets ready to help UK if we make the post season.

Well, let's break it down:

Reuben Church (3B/1B) - I think the staff likes him, and I think we might see him a bit early on. If he impresses then he could find some time, but it seems more likely that Plastiak and Estep are at third rather than Church. He could have some occasional pinch hitting spots, but he is a righty, so I think Harmon and Shelby will eat up those opportunities before he gets that many.

Jack Hicks (2B) - Seems like the staff likes his talent at second, but I think he is behind others. So, they will look for him to grow up and catchup rather than play an immediate role.

Nolan McCarthy (UTL) - They consider him a big time prospect for UK and I think he's one they try to find a spot for somewhere eventually, but maybe not this year. Wouldn't be surprised if they try him in the OF in the future. Again, just has to develop.

Wyatt Hudepohl (RHP) - Seems like he will be a big bullpen piece. They consider this guy a future starter for us. Throws in the 96-97 range at the moment and they say he has the best arm on the team. I imagine we see him early and often.

Houston King (OF) - If he plays at all it will be as a pinch runner. Kid has some speed and they will want to utilize that, but I don't think he's physically ready to do much more than run, and probably fill in some defensively. Probably see him used much like Lewis was early in his career.

Ryan Hagenow (RHP) - I think he probably starts on the weekends from the go, but UK might try to ease him in a bit and either give him some midweek work or put him in for long relief. He will be a major piece of our rotation regardless.

Evan Byers (LHP) - Redshirting 2021 after undergoing TJ surgery this past summer.

Devin Burkes (C) - Staff is looking for this kid to be the catcher of the future. I don't see him playing much of a role this season. I imagine you have Rubalcaba starting, Kessler backing up and then I believe it is Hord as the bullpen guy. Maybe Burkes gets some bullpen duty and some spot work. Can play multiple positions, but is best behind the plate.

Seth Logue (RHP) - Will play a role this year, likely out of the bullpen. The question for him will be whether or not he rises to that occasion when given the chance. If he does, his role will grow, but if he doesn't then it will likely shrink and he will have to wait for next year to get more looks in competitive games.

Austin Strickland (RHP) - He will be a huge factor this year. He will be pitching somewhere, whether it be weekends, midweek or bullpen... it's happening. I think he should be our midweek guy that grows confidence in that spot and gets ready to help UK if we make the post season.

That is excellent!

I am at least encouraged a bit more going into this year than last year.

That is excellent!

I am at least encouraged a bit more going into this year than last year.

We have an interesting mix. The lineup is pretty experienced with basically everyone returning and even some new transfer/JUCO guys replacing starters. Meanwhile, the starting pitchers are likely fairly young/new, but likely at least have better potential than what we've seen in the past. I think we will go as that pitching goes.

Reactions: parrott
Can this team be competitive in the SEC this year? I know they play at UNC the first weekend. Historically they are pretty good. So they jump right into the fire the first series of the year.

Can this team be competitive in the SEC this year? I know they play at UNC the first weekend. Historically they are pretty good. So they jump right into the fire the first series of the year.

UNC not set to be too good this year. Don't know much about them, but they aren't ranked like they typically would be.

I'm skeptical on whether UK can compete at a high level in the SEC. Pitching remains a giant question mark. Still, it's a new season and anything can happen.

Reactions: irishcat1965
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT