ADVERTISEMENT

UK at IU - March 11

RogerIndy

Sophomore
Sep 2, 2002
I am a '78 UK grad and I don't get to Lexington a lot. I live in Indy and I am planning to go see the Bat Cats play IU this spring. I went 2 years ago when we last played in Bloomington. I know Indiana went to Omaha last year, but I see College Baseball Today has IU ranked 4th and us 59th!! A Big Ten school!! Do you think they are that good? I hope we can go in there and steal a win. Last time I went they played in May, and this year they are playing in early March. Well, I guess I will have to dress warm.

Go Big Blue!

IU caught lightning in a bottle last year, all the way to Omaha. They hosted a regional, won it, and the went to Tallahassee and knocked off FSU. I don't believe they lost a whold lot off that team, but UK has won 3 straight in the series.Hope you can cheer them to a win in Bloomington, at least they have a new stadium for you this year, I am sure more and better seating !

Things are looking up for Tuesday's game. The Bats were sure hot over the weekend and hopefully they won't cool off any time soon. The weather looks favorable. Looking forward to driving down to Bloomington to see the boys in Blue warm up for upcoming conference play. We look a lot better than last year, and Indiana looks worse. But it is still early.

Originally posted by RogerIndy:
Things are looking up for Tuesday's game. The Bats were sure hot over the weekend and hopefully they won't cool off any time soon. The weather looks favorable. Looking forward to driving down to Bloomington to see the boys in Blue warm up for upcoming conference play. We look a lot better than last year, and Indiana looks worse. But it is still early.
Looks like everything is lookin good weather wise in Bloomington, mid to upper 60's. Hope UK is still swinging the bats like they were this weekend. I suppose Dylan Dwyer will be on the hill for UK today, he tossed a complete game shutout his last time out against Wright State, don't expect anything like that today, but I think he will do pretty good.

UK scoreless in the top of the 1st, despite Max Kuhn's 2 out single. A J goes down swinging, Hoosiers comin up.

Good luck today. We just opened a new stadium last year, and things are looking up for IUBaseball. The old field was like a little league facility, so, we're obviously hoping to keep up the success in the new ballpark!
smile.r191677.gif

Max Kuhn leads off the 4th with a solo HR, then Reed gets a HBP, Thomas singles, and somehow Bernal turns a sac bunt into a DP. Thomas with bad base running, then Hairston grounds out. Could have been a good inning, IU leads 2-1 bottom of 4.

Hoosiers take a 4-1 lead on a 2 run HR, the Cats get an unearned run via an IU error, and an rbi double by Cousino. Hoosiers lead 4-2 going to the bottom of 5th.

Not good, IU leads 5-2 in the bottom of the 8th.

IU only has four hits, but those hits are two HR and two doubles. Otherwise, they have had nothing. Shame.

Originally posted by STUCKNBIG10:
Not good, IU leads 5-2 in the bottom of the 8th.

IU only has four hits, but those hits are two HR and two doubles. Otherwise, they have had nothing. Shame.
Now 7-2 in 8th with IU still batting man on 1st 1 out...IU is ranked like 8th in the country and I think the CATS are back down to a little reality today...Only 5 hits and two runs...

Indiana is ranked 16th so they should be pretty close to us in talent (another site has them ranked 28th while we are ranked 21st). I don't know if today was just a bad day or their pitching really shut us down. However, I do know that we haven't had a hitting day that bad all season. Just couldn't string the hits together today. Dwyer gave up a lot of runs, but I still don't think he did that badly. He only gave up 6 hits himself. He just gave them up at the wrong times. Basically Indiana played the exact opposite of us today. We got a few runs off a handful of hits. Indiana took advantage of their hits and made them count and put up 7 runs off those 6 hits. Hopefully that changes and we can turn things around tomorrow and do something positive going into this weekend.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
Indiana is ranked 16th so they should be pretty close to us in talent (another site has them ranked 28th while we are ranked 21st). I don't know if today was just a bad day or their pitching really shut us down. However, I do know that we haven't had a hitting day that bad all season. Just couldn't string the hits together today. Dwyer gave up a lot of runs, but I still don't think he did that badly. He only gave up 6 hits himself. He just gave them up at the wrong times. Basically Indiana played the exact opposite of us today. We got a few runs off a handful of hits. Indiana took advantage of their hits and made them count and put up 7 runs off those 6 hits. Hopefully that changes and we can turn things around tomorrow and do something positive going into this weekend.
Sorry CB3...Think that #8 ranking was pre-season...I am probably wrong...Don't win they all in baseball...SWEEP BAMA!!!

No need to apologize Slugger. I actually think you are right and that they were ranked 8th, or similar, in the preseason. Then they lost 3 of 4 to Texas Tech and one to Utah and they started to drop in the rankings. Since then they have beaten both Louisville and us so they seemingly aren't just a pushover team and are somewhat competitive. It was also a game on the road on a relatively weird (all turf) field. So, we'll just chalk up the loss to that.
wink.r191677.gif

I believe I heard Neil Price during the broadcast say IU had 92% of their offense returning from last years' team that went to the College World Series. That is a lot of fire power back for the Hoosiers.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
No need to apologize Slugger. I actually think you are right and that they were ranked 8th, or similar, in the preseason. Then they lost 3 of 4 to Texas Tech and one to Utah and they started to drop in the rankings. Since then they have beaten both Louisville and us so they seemingly aren't just a pushover team and are somewhat competitive. It was also a game on the road on a relatively weird (all turf) field. So, we'll just chalk up the loss to that.
wink.r191677.gif
Pretty sure the Otis game was at their place...We will start to find out what they are made from here on out..

I was at the game. This was a huge difference from 2 years ago when we played them at their old stadium. The old stadium was like a little league field, and the new one is as nice as some of the parks in the SEC. The place was pretty full and it was a great day for baseball. Too bad our bats cooled off after the weekend. I was there with UK gear on and no one said anything rude, unlike when our fans go to their basketball arena. There were probably several hundred other UK fans there also, including a couple sitting next to us where the husband was wearing UK gear and the wife was wearing IU gear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT