ADVERTISEMENT

UCONN’s accomplishments

catsall

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2006
I don’t want throw cold water on what they have done these past two years, but let’s not act like a dynasty has formed. It’s like Hurley going to own college basketball for the next 20 years

Just a little perspective. We thought Kentucky was going dominate for years in 1996. Then Pitino left. Florida and Billy D would own the NCAA Tournament for years, then Billy leaves.

Calipari comes in with the top recruiting classes ever year and we thought we would catch UCLA
Then 2015 happens

Just saying UCONN should enjoy the moment but let’s not forget, shit happens.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
I don’t want throw cold water on what they have done these past two years, but let’s not act like a dynasty has formed. It’s like Hurley going to own college basketball for the next 20 years

Just a little perspective. We thought Kentucky was going dominate for years in 1996. Then Pitino left. Florida and Billy D would own the NCAA Tournament for years, then Billy leaves.

Calipari comes in with the top recruiting classes ever year and we thought we would catch UCLA
Then 2015 happens

True. It could be he never grabs a title again.

good points, hope you are right.

If he turns down KENTUCKY'S 11 or 12 million a year offer... I hope he is one of those guys who wants to move on to NBA, what more does he have left to accomplish in college.

I'm sure nba will come calling, Bulls will probably have a vacancy soon, not because we get Billy but because they will probably be ready to move on.

Also if Danny came to Kentucky, it would be an every year thing of nba teams coming for him just like it was for a little while with Calipari.

Then 2015 happens

Uconn is a dynasty. Let's not treat them how Duke and UNC treat us. Mitch needs to give us a good coach with a reasonable contract that incentivizes winning, growing players (and getting them situated for professional sports), and a real successional plan. The institution of the University of Kentucky is worth it for us all.

Look at the bright side: Without UConn, Duke almost certainly wins it all in 1999 and 2004 and has seven titles...

I'll never call winning a title pure luck because it is one of the hardest things in sport.

But a lot has fallen into place for UConn, that's for sure:

The first titles was over a heavily favored DUKE team, in 1999 when Duke was about as heavy a favorite as there has been in modern times. In 2004, UConnbeats Duke in teh semis: The winner was very likely to beat Georgia Tech in the Finals

The next two really came at the hands of Kentucky teams in 2011 and 2014 -- but not dominant UK teams like 96 or 12 or 15. Both UK teams had sprung major upsets just to be in the semis in 2011 and Finals in 2014. Kentucky probably wins in 2014 if Randle isn't hobbled and WCS out, and in 2011 if Knight has even a normal game.

The last two: Hurley put together a dominant team taking full advantage of the portal probaby sooner and better than anyone else.

I wouldn't be surprised if, like say UCLA after the 1970s or Indiana after the 1980s, decades pass before things fall into place the same way again.

Last edited:
Uconn is a dynasty. Let's not treat them how Duke and UNC treat us. Mitch needs to give us a good coach with a reasonable contract that incentivizes winning, growing players (and getting them situated for professional sports), and a real successional plan. The institution of the University of Kentucky is worth it for us all.
dynasty? they have 6 titles in 25 years, it's amazing.

BUT, honestly it was just 6 great teams that went to 6 final fours and finished the deal those 6 times, which is incredible honestly.

in that 25 years, you can look up the stats, they missed the tournament 11 times since 1990 and i think missed it like 9 years in a row before that from 80 to 89

UConn has also missed the NCAA tournament for a few years during the past 25 years
it's like you didn't even read my post.

They have missed the tournament 9 times since 1999.
They have missed the tournament 11 times since 1989.
They have missed the tournament 21 times since 1979, which includes missing it 10 years in a row !

dynasty? they have 6 titles in 25 years, it's amazing.

BUT, honestly it was just 6 great teams that went to 6 final fours and finished the deal those 6 times, which is incredible honestly.

in that 25 years, you can look up the stats, they missed the tournament 11 times since 1990 and i think missed it like 9 years in a row before that from 80 to 89

That happens when you build for the long term and try to put together actual teams that fit together. After that it's all about the season which affects seeding, and the bracket.

Retooling completely every year is nuts

Reactions: d2atTech
I'll never call winning a title pure luck because it is one of the hardest things in sport.

But a lot has fallen into place for UConn, that's for sure:

FIrst two titles were over favored DUKE teams, including in 1999 Finals when Duke was about as heavy a favorite as there has been in modern times, and in the 2004 semi-finals.

The next two really came at the hands of Kentucky teams in 2011 and 2014 -- but not dominant UK teams like 96 or 12 or 15. Both UK teams had sprung major upsets just to be in the semis in 2011 and Finals in 2014. Kentucky probably wins in 2014 if Randle isn't hobbled and WCS out, and in 2011 if Knight has even a normal game.

The last two: Hurley put together a dominant team taking full advantage of the portal probaby sooner and better than anyone else.

I wouldn't be surprised if, like say UCLA after the 1970s or Indiana after the 1980s, decades pass before things fall into place the same way again.

Actually in 2004, UConn was favored. There’s kind of a funny footnote to how that game ended for those who had bet on it. Gamblers had UConn as 2-, 2.5- and 3-point favorites depending on when they bet it. When Duhon hit a three to end the game, it resulted in a one point UConn win.

That 3 at the end swung $30 million to $100 million in bets. Lol. (“Real soon after, I started to hear people saying, ‘Man, I wish Duhon didn’t hit that shot,” Ben Gordon told me years ago. “Everyone was upset about it. I didn’t understand it until somebody explained it all to me.”

“A couple reporters came up to me after the game and asked me if I knew the significance of the shot,” said Duhon, and I was like ‘I have no idea; what happened?’ And they said something like, ‘That Shot was worth a whole lot of money.” )

Back to UConn, they have done a great scouting job over the years of finding diamonds in the rough who became great players like Okafor. And these last two teams, he gets a 6’4 and 6’5 Championship backcourt just transfer in. (Newton and Spencer) how’s it even possible prior to UConn getting him that lightly offered Tristan Newton was an East Carolina player?

That is true OP. They also have 6 titles n 25 years with 3 different coaches. They may have some bad seasons but they probably aren't going way of a miami football for example.

Actually in 2004, UConn was favored. There’s kind of a funny footnote to how that game ended for those who had bet on it. Gamblers had UConn as 2-, 2.5- and 3-point favorites depending on when they bet it. When Duhon hit a three to end the game, it resulted in a one point UConn win.

That 3 at the end swung $30 million to $100 million in bets. Lol. (“Real soon after, I started to hear people saying, ‘Man, I wish Duhon didn’t hit that shot,” Ben Gordon told me years ago. “Everyone was upset about it. I didn’t understand it until somebody explained it all to me.”

“A couple reporters came up to me after the game and asked me if I knew the significance of the shot,” said Duhon, and I was like ‘I have no idea; what happened?’ And they said something like, ‘That Shot was worth a whole lot of money.” )

Back to UConn, they have done a great scouting job over the years of finding diamonds in the rough who became great players like Okafor. And these last two teams, he gets a 6’4 and 6’5 Championship backcourt just transfer in. (Newton and Spencer) how’s it even possible prior to UConn getting him that lightly offered Tristan Newton was an East Carolina player?
Clingan is the best defensive big man since AD.

He needs to go pro.

They have missed the tournament 21 times since 1979, which includes missing it 10 years in a row !
So that means in the 16 NCAA Tournaments they've made since '99, they have been to 7 Final Fours and won 6 National Championships while never having lost when they appear in the National Championship game. Then throw in Elite 8 losses in '02 and '06 so they've been there 9 total times-and if you go back to pre '99, they've been in Elite 8 in '90, '95, and '98.

I'll take that success rate-especially over span of 3 Coaches-2 of which are going to be known as amongst the best to ever do it in Calhoun/Hurley.

It's okay to be proud of Kentucky's history/success and placement in CBB world and acknowledge that UConn is currently the top program in the Country. Hurley didn't tell any lies last night.

Kentucky needs to find a guy who has the passion to want to step up to the challenge and go make their own history to add to the UK legacy and by doing that, you have to "eat" what is reality which is the program the past 5 years is fat/happy and not a legit contender. It's time to get back to work. Think it'll be easier to do now too because fans will be unified and the great side of BBN is when it's altogether and focused on supporting the program and not split due to legitimate concerns/frustrations.

I didn't realize I quoted you or was even reacting to your post -oh wait I was not

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT