ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler burton Richmond

It was obvious from the start BJ was never becoming a star but Cal still refused to bench him.
You completely missed my point then.

When the Elite Freshman don't show it from day 1--it's the right move to let them have a longer leash to find their way.

You have this idea that you could identify it from day 1 and Cal was too stupid to see it. Cal obviously knows the kid is playing poorly. He just believes that we reach out ceiling by the highly touted kids finding their ceiling.

You completely missed my point then.

When the Elite Freshman don't show it from day 1--it's the right move to let them have a longer leash to find their way.

You have this idea that you could identify it from day 1 and Cal was too stupid to see it. Cal obviously knows the kid is playing poorly. He just believes that we reach out ceiling by the highly touted kids finding their ceiling.
Trouble is that it's not the freshmen teams winning now but experienced teams so of course Call goes all freshmen now.

Trouble is that it's not the freshmen teams winning now but experienced teams so of course Call goes all freshmen now.
Well, he tried the veteran route the last two years, and it didn’t work.

So it’s probably not an experience issue as much as a talent issue.

At least for UK.

Well, he tried the veteran route the last two years, and it didn’t work.

So it’s probably not an experience issue as much as a talent issue.

At least for UK.
Or maybe his ability to not be able to coach is finally catching up to him? I mean the only time he actually won anything is when he had a transcendent player in Anthony Davis! I just don’t see an Anthony Davis walking back through that door this coming year!

Or maybe his ability to not be able to coach is finally catching up to him? I mean the only time he actually won anything is when he had a transcendent player in Anthony Davis! I just don’t see an Anthony Davis walking back through that door this coming year!
So it’s not affected by whether he has veterans or Freshmen?

That was pretty much my point.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
So it’s not affected by whether he has veterans or Freshmen?

That was pretty much my point.
I got what you was saying and I’m saying he isn’t doing crap unless an Anthony Davis type of player walks through the door. His coaching is one of the worst in the nation. Wether he has Freshmen or veterans the guy isn’t going to do anything.

I got what you was saying and I’m saying he isn’t doing crap unless an Anthony Davis type of player walks through the door. His coaching is one of the worst in the nation. Wether he has Freshmen or veterans the guy isn’t going to do anything.
That’s an entirely different conversation and argument, IMHO.

I don’t think Calipari has ever really diverted from his OAD freshmen dominated model. He dabbled in the Graduate Transfer market (and “excused” that by saying it wasn’t the same as stealing players in the transfer portal), but only as a last (desperate?) resort.

Regardless, Calipari and any other coach is going to be better with the “best players.” If you define the “best players” as those that have the biggest impact on winning games, then upperclassmen are generally (and overwhelmingly) the best players in CBB.

What’s important is production. Experience improves production and talent places a limit on it. So, when you’re talking about still developing players, especially in a one year scenario, the player with the most talent is not necessarily (or even usually) the best player. In the short run (e.g., one season), current production beats talent.

But I do think if you had a talented freshmen or two in the starting lineup whose skill development level was already pretty good or was a great rebounder/shot-blocker, etc., then that could work out if the other three starters were upperclassmen that can carry the offense and take the pressure off the freshmen.

Reactions: bookerfan66
With the portal and players staying longer, being older and more experienced the recruiting competition for freshmen wasn't as great as in the past. Cal recruiting feat wasn't as great as some want us to believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT