ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Baron

Cat_Man_Blue

Sophomore
Jan 5, 2003
Baron is headed Louisville. While it doesn't hurt my feelings that he won't be playing at Ole Miss, I don't want to see him at Louisville. UofL must be throwing around insane amounts of NIL cash. They have now landed 3 players from UT, 2 of these players had committed to Ole Miss when they entered the portal. I would have liked to have seen Baron at UK. It would have been great to see him working with Deon Walker.

Reactions: satcheluk
Baron is headed Louisville. While it doesn't hurt my feelings that he won't be playing at Ole Miss, I don't want to see him at Louisville. UofL must be throwing around insane amounts of NIL cash. They have now landed 3 players from UT, 2 of these players had committed to Ole Miss when they entered the portal. I would have liked to have seen Baron at UK. It would have been great to see him working with Deon Walker.
Strippers and lots of $$$ to throw at them is awfully hard to turn down.

Reactions: Bterhune
Fascinating developments. Maybe Ole Miss overspending their budgets, has more portal guys than their NIL could pay? Maybe Brohm got the Adidas folks to pony up a lot more?

At this point they should be one of the ACC favorites for 2024. Probably only FSU, who is trying to steal the entire Bama roster, will be more talented and higher rated. UL will be on lots of hot take predictions as a sneaky CFB playoff team for 2024.

Reactions: hmt5000
We’re out recruiting 17 yr olds in Cincinnati
Time will tell what’s the better way to go

You all do realize we are returning significantly more from last years team than Louisville (they literally lost their entire offense) and in every combined High School/Transfer Portal ranking I have seen we are bringing in more 4-star players. Oh, and guess what - we beat them at their place last year. Stop being a bunch of beta cucks, they are bringing in 40+ new players this year - turning over half of your roster in the off-season is absolutely not a recipe for success. I know one thing that will never scare me - a Jeff Brohm team that will be relying on its defense to win games.

For the record, I think that UK will beat UofL next year. I just find it hard to believe that top notch players would bail on prominent SEC programs to go to UofL and I think Baron would have excelled at UK next year. These players have to be getting an insane amount of cash at UofL.

My bigger question ins't why UL gets him and UK didn't.....but why is UT losing starting caliber players? They should have NIL in spades compared to UK and UL
Tyler Baron is the half brother of Wesley Walker one of the other Tennessee players we got from the portal.

Reactions: K_TIME
For the record, I think that UK will beat UofL next year. I just find it hard to believe that top notch players would bail on prominent SEC programs to go to UofL and I think Baron would have excelled at UK next year. These players have to be getting an insane amount of cash at UofL.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, it is fascinating not 1 but like 4 guys were going to Ole Miss, a team everyone says is a legit CFB playoff team in the SEC but in January flip to an also ran ACC school.

Cash is king, it is blatant now more than ever. Not coaching, not fan support, not history, not facilities, not conference - cold, hard cash, stuffed into hands. That's how it is in 2024 recruiting.

You all do realize we are returning significantly more from last years team than Louisville (they literally lost their entire offense) and in every combined High School/Transfer Portal ranking I have seen we are bringing in more 4-star players. Oh, and guess what - we beat them at their place last year. Stop being a bunch of beta cucks, they are bringing in 40+ new players this year - turning over half of your roster in the off-season is absolutely not a recipe for success. I know one thing that will never scare me - a Jeff Brohm team that will be relying on its defense to win games.
Doesn’t matter…the early spread for this year will be UL -13.5.

Bout like it has been for the last 7 or so years…

My bigger question ins't why UL gets him and UK didn't.....but why is UT losing starting caliber players? They should have NIL in spades compared to UK and UL
The issue with Baron goes back to last year when he entered the transfer portal, but then got out of the portal 24 hours later. It was reported at the time that he wanted to play SS edge, but DLC Rodney Garner believes he is better suited at WS edge. I don't know, but assume Baron thinks SS edge means more money.

I think most UT fans assumed he was off to the NFL after the 2023 season, so it was somewhat surprising when he announced he was entering the portal. But I guess in this era it makes sense for a senior with another year of eligibility to explore their options. I assume he may have had his NFL draft stock assessed, although I certainly don't know for certain, and decided to see if he could make more next year through NIL, so enter the portal, see what offers he gets, and see if UT will up the ante to keep him. Again, I don't know, but assume UT wasn't willing to match what Ole Miss offered. While I would like form him to have remained at UT, I think the staff passed, in part because he was obviously not 100% happy playing WS, which can cause locker-room issues, but also because I suspect the staff is happy with the young edges they already have on the roster, plus having 5* edge Jordan Ross coming on board.

As far as Baron, and others, flipping from Ole Miss to UL, I'm wondering if maybe Kiffin is making promises that the Ole Miss collective can't, or won't match. We know that not long ago Kiffin was complaining about the lack of NIL money available, and 'encouraging' donors to do more. Then suddenly he was grabbing every elite transfer in the portal. It makes you wonder if he was trying to force Ole Miss donors to contribute more to hold on to these transfers, and these businessmen said no.

Reactions: K_TIME
The issue with Baron goes back to last year when he entered the transfer portal, but then got out of the portal 24 hours later. It was reported at the time that he wanted to play SS edge, but DLC Rodney Garner believes he is better suited at WS edge. I don't know, but assume Baron thinks SS edge means more money.

I think most UT fans assumed he was off to the NFL after the 2023 season, so it was somewhat surprising when he announced he was entering the portal. But I guess in this era it makes sense for a senior with another year of eligibility to explore their options. I assume he may have had his NFL draft stock assessed, although I certainly don't know for certain, and decided to see if he could make more next year through NIL, so enter the portal, see what offers he gets, and see if UT will up the ante to keep him. Again, I don't know, but assume UT wasn't willing to match what Ole Miss offered. While I would like form him to have remained at UT, I think the staff passed, in part because he was obviously not 100% happy playing WS, which can cause locker-room issues, but also because I suspect the staff is happy with the young edges they already have on the roster, plus having 5* edge Jordan Ross coming on board.

As far as Baron, and others, flipping from Ole Miss to UL, I'm wondering if maybe Kiffin is making promises that the Ole Miss collective can't, or won't match. We know that not long ago Kiffin was complaining about the lack of NIL money available, and 'encouraging' donors to do more. Then suddenly he was grabbing every elite transfer in the portal. It makes you wonder if he was trying to force Ole Miss donors to contribute more to hold on to these transfers, and these businessmen said no.
This does make most sense....since we've turned college sports into semi-pro ball the kids will experience the upside and downside of that business.

NFL teams have a salary cap per se and NIL will work in the same salary cap mindset. There is a finite amount of NIL $$ to build a roster and if a team wants to spend elsewhere....then you will need to go elsewhere.

Fascinating developments. Maybe Ole Miss overspending their budgets, has more portal guys than their NIL could pay? Maybe Brohm got the Adidas folks to pony up a lot more?

At this point they should be one of the ACC favorites for 2024. Probably only FSU, who is trying to steal the entire Bama roster, will be more talented and higher rated. UL will be on lots of hot take predictions as a sneaky CFB playoff team for 2024.
Until we beat them ………again.

You may have answered your own question. UL schedule next year is quite possibly easier than it was this year. If that’s possible. Why beat yourself up when you can coast thru a season making tons of tackles against guys half your size. Makes sense.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Yeah that's what I'm saying, it is fascinating not 1 but like 4 guys were going to Ole Miss, a team everyone says is a legit CFB playoff team in the SEC but in January flip to an also ran ACC school.

Cash is king, it is blatant now more than ever. Not coaching, not fan support, not history, not facilities, not conference - cold, hard cash, stuffed into hands. That's how it is in 2024 recruiting.
Which of these schools do you think has the best chance to finish in the top 2 of their conference and have a legitimate shot at the 12 team playoff???

1. UL (top teams to beat FSU, Clemson)
2. Ole Miss (top teams to beat Bama, Georgia, Texas, LSU, OK, TN
3. TN ( top teams to beat-see #2.
4. UK ( top teams to beat Bama, Georgia, TN, TX, TAM, OK, Ole Miss, LSU, Auburn, USC, oh $hit....every team in the SEC not named Vandy or MSU.

Which of these schools do you think has the best chance to finish in the top 2 of their conference and have a legitimate shot at the 12 team playoff???

4. UK ( top teams to beat Bama, Georgia, TN, TX, TAM, OK, Ole Miss, LSU, Auburn, USC, oh $hit....every team in the SEC not named Vandy or MSU.
The ACC should under no circumstance be a 2 bid league.

The ACC should under no circumstance be a 2 bid league.
In certain years, it absolutely could be. There are certainly years in Florida State and Clemson could both be legitimate top 12 teams, and perhaps another team, unlikely to ever to be Louisville, would have a legitimate case. If you meant that the ACC should never get two automatic bids, totally agree with you.

My opinion is because the players UL are getting are one year hired guns that are only interested in the highest bidder. A lot of our transfers say they are coming to UK for its culture, fit and ability to showcase their talents for the NFL. Vandagriff is a perfect example. Ray Davis was as well.

• Haha
Reactions: ReggThaCard

In '23 they were 5th in talent in the ACC. 247 hasnt updated for '24 yet but they havent added enough to pass any of the 4 teams ahead of them. It is actaully clemson 1, UNC 2, Miami 3, and FSU 4. That will change with the guys FSU added but Clemson will still be #1. I will add that talent isnt everything as we seen this year. Miami has the talent but sucks. UNC has a lot of talent but wasnt very good this year either

This is correct. Look at their schedule next year and it’s just as bad as it was this year. They play UK, Clemson and ND. The rest of the schedule is hot garbage. They were a paper tiger this year and got exposed the last 3 games. However, UL has gone all in on NIL and getting players. They just turned over their roster and went all in. They out spend us in the portal which baffles me. If anything should piss UK fans its that.

I think they actually will be better in 2024 than 2023 and if they pull off an upset at Clemson they will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Perhaps the only thing standing in their way of it is the game vs UK.

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
Just seems impossible to me to throw a bunch of new guys together in a way that’s consistently good. Seems like a great approach to get burned

Reactions: 1stKatMan
Yeah with their portal work esp landing Cam Ward I'd put Miami over UL in ACC pecking order. Brohm much better coach than Mario.

Yes …. I think UL is tossing big bucks around… Nothing new. Have to because no one in their right mind wants to play there for free. And as we who pay for their house of basketball can see…. The average UofL fan will not show up to watch games unless they’re winning enough to be in the conversation…Don’t win they loose money… All about the Benjamin’s at Belknap U…..

I'll be shocked if UL has less than 9 wins coming into the UK game

In certain years, it absolutely could be. There are certainly years in Florida State and Clemson could both be legitimate top 12 teams, and perhaps another team, unlikely to ever to be Louisville, would have a legitimate case. If you meant that the ACC should never get two automatic bids, totally agree with you.
The ACC shouldn’t have 1 automatic bid. 9-3 SEC team is going to be better than 11-1 ACC every time. The idea that they are a “power conference” or even a relevant conference at all is completely laughable. The split should be 5 or 6 SEC teams out of 12 and about 3 big ten teams. We know they won’t lean that SEC heavy, even when the recruiting talent leans that SEC heavy.

I'll be shocked if UL has less than 9 wins coming into the UK game
Would be pretty surprised if they had more than 9 wins myself. Clemson and Notre Dame highly likely to be losses for them. And Brohm losses to a team he has no buisness losing to every year. Last year was Pitt. And then we all know he will never beat the SEC last game of the year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT