ADVERTISEMENT

Two of our incoming guys were Defensive POY in their conferences, that is certainly a change.

Williams is a good piece.

Perry
Williams
Mormon white dude

Seem decent.

Butler, offensively, not excited.
IF Butler is a starter, assuming Williams is as well, putting three shooters around those two would be an excellent starting lineup. You have to have defense, which we found out in 2023-24. Defensive players, obviously, are not the hot ticket on this board, considering we just had an historic offensive season that was a blast to watch, but we didn't win games when it mattered. Defense matters. Butler is not a flashy pick up, but a good one.

Possible lineup:

PG- Butler (4th best available defensive guard in the portal)
SG- There are still a lot of good SGs available, but I'm not sure who UK is in contact with
SF-
*Jaylen Wells, supposedly contacted UK, is testing NBA draft, shot 42% from 3PT
*Andrew Carr has been in contact with UK, shot 37% from 3PT
*Otega Oweh, who UK has supposedly contacted, is a more defensively minded SF
PF- There are still a lot of offensive-minded PFs in the portal, but I'm not sure who UK has contacted
C-
*Great Osobor, contacted by UK, is another defensively minded C.

I would guess Pope focuses on defensive players at the 1 and 5 positions, probably looking to add a stretch-4 and defensive 4 off the bench and fill out 2-3 with shooters. That's actually been the make-up of some of our best teams (2003, 2004, 2012, 2015, 2022).

IF Butler is a starter, assuming Williams is as well, putting three shooters around those two would be an excellent starting lineup. You have to have defense, which we found out in 2023-24. Defensive players, obviously, are not the hot ticket on this board, considering we just had an historic offensive season that was a blast to watch, but we didn't win games when it mattered. Defense matters. Butler is not a flashy pick up, but a good one.

Possible lineup:

SG- There are still a lot of good SGs available, but I'm not sure who UK is in contact with
SF-
PF- There are still a lot of offensive-minded PFs in the portal, but I'm not sure who UK has contacted
C-

I would guess Pope focuses on defensive players at the 1 and 5 positions, probably looking to add a stretch-4 and defensive 4 off the bench and fill out 2-3 with shooters. That's actually been the make-up of some of our best teams (2003, 2004, 2012, 2015, 2022).
Also, Mahaney is the #1 defensive Guard in the portal, listed as a CG (Combo Guard). If that's our 1/2 at PG/SG, we are likely one of the best defensive backcourts in the country.

Possible lineup:

SF-
C-

Seems Oweh is a lock.

So we're strong defensively at PG, SF, and C. I wonder if Pope thinks Perry can get 20ppg. Knowing what we know about Reed now, and watching Perry light him up as a JUNIOR (45 points, 10/16 from deep) - Perry might just be a bad ass offensive machine at this level.

Also, Mahaney is the #1 defensive Guard in the portal, listed as a CG (Combo Guard). If that's our 1/2 at PG/SG, we are likely one of the best defensive backcourts in the country.
I think we'd have a bit of everything. Carr is your pure stretch 4. Get Robinson back and you have your slashing wing forward who at 6'7", can guard four positions.

There's tons of solid options out there, and we're sitting pretty with most of them.

Reactions: Eight_Banners
Seems Oweh is a lock.

So we're strong defensively at PG, SF, and C. I wonder if Pope thinks Perry can get 20ppg. Knowing what we know about Reed now, and watching Perry light him up as a JUNIOR (45 points, 10/16 from deep) - Perry might just be a bad ass offensive machine at this level.
Yeah, defensively, if we land Oweh and Mahaney, we are going to be really good. Williams, Butler, Mahaney, and Oweh, were all top defenders in 2023-24.

If Perry and Chandler show out, and we add some more offensive additions, we are ready to roll.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT