ADVERTISEMENT

Two Directions this team can go...

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
We're at a crossroads....we have 2 directions we can go....there's 2 times this has happened in the modern era and we need to watch and see...

The Positive Direction: 2016 Example
If Stoops wants to turn it around....it has to be like the 2016 team. That team face planted in 2015....pressure was on Stoops. We had the talent and it wasn't producing. We came out and let Southern Miss embarrass us....then Florida took our souls the next week....that team was on the ropes. Stoops was on the ropes. New Mexico State was moving the ball on us....that team was dead....but then they found something. We came out and beat SC and found an identity...but we still weren't in great shape.

We went to Alabama that year if you remember. They beat us down....but after the game Bama said that was the hardest game they played before and we were a tough team. That team rallied off more wins...the Miss State one was huge. And then....we beat a top 10 Louisville with Lamar Jackson...a game we didn't dream of winning to start that year. Those guys rallied...and it sent us on the run we had from 2016-2021. The team from week 1 to week 12 were totally different.

That's the backs against the wall Stoops...heck remember 2022 after we lost to Vandy? We took UGA to the 4th quarter. Remember last year after the SC loss? We rallied to beat UofL the next week. That's the Stoops I remember. We're not asking for 10-2 or anything like that....we're asking for football we can be proud of....rally the troops again.

Also a bonus...the 2006 team. Remember the pressure was on Brooks too....the LSU loss was a turning point. They come back later to beat Georgia at home and it revitalized the program. Stoops needs an upset somewhere...somehow....it can happen but will it?

The Negative Direction: The 2011 Season
We kinda weren't enthused going into that season...but we weren't all out. The WKU game was the first sign...it didn't look great and we were scared. But then that night against Louisville....UofL at that point wasn't looking great under Charlie and had just lost to FIU. We were up 3-0 and LaRod King caught a big pass to get us in their territory again...he fumbled. Will Stein got knocked out and Teddy B came in and beat us....we were dead. Then the next week Florida just whipped us good. LSU embarrassed us. Then South Carolina beat us 56-3. We did have some decent performances....because of Danny T and Winston Guy...but the direction was going down.

By 2012....Louisville just throttled us and it wasn't close. Then after the WKU loss....the era was over. We just never got it back going....the momentum was gone. The fans were tuned out....and the evidence was clear by the Vandy game that it was over. Momentum was gone after that night Louisville beat us....we had some brief moments.

My big thing that Stoops lost in this program is the identity....the working class underdogs. We came in knowing we weren't as good....but we hit hard. We pushed hard. We did all the little things right. This really does remind me of where we were in the 2015-2016 era.....2015 team got cocky (remember Boom, Dorian, etc.) and just were playing STUPID. The staff wasn't controlling them. That team was close to going off the rails....but they turned it around. Guys like Benny Snell, Josh Allen, Jordan Jones, Bunchy Stallings, Cole Mosier, & Mike Edwards just set a standard as leaders...and the guys after them like Pascal, Square, C-Rod, Kinnard, Fortner, Wright, McCall.....they followed that standard.

This team's problem isn't talent....it's their mindset. Stoops teams are way too emotional and go off momentum. They aren't playing with pride or any effort. Go out there Saturday and don't care what the score will be....just make sure UGA knows they played us and feels it after it's over. Who are those guys that need to step up? I'm looking at Dumas-Johnson, Walker, Mincey, Farmer, Cox, Walker, Weaver, Jackson, Hairston, & Childress. Go out there and play with your hair on fire.

I WANT this team and this staff to succeed. The difference with Stoops and Cal is that I do see that Mark cares....he's stubborn too and does things that makes us mad....but I know he's trying. But he has to get this thing right. I don't want it to end this way....even if we have a 6-6 record....be a 6-6 team that goes down with a FIGHT! IF not....it's going to be ugly.

Get back to this!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.