ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Tuesday Night Recruiting Notes

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
** OL Sean Thompkins is officially visiting Kentucky right now Wand there's not a lot out there that has leaked about his recruitment. His planned OVs are/have been to Baylor (6/10), Kentucky (6/13), and Florida (6/17).

One common theme with Kentucky's targeting of offensive linemen: They're going for size. Not the same kind of size. Ramsey and Wood are built very differently but as with Thompkins (6'6 300) we're talking about towering guys and lots of mass.

** Naquil Betrand is OV'ing this weekend, he has announced. Had heard it was this past weekend but this may mean even more personal attention for him. I think it's a very good sign that he's visiting UK relatively early so would have to assume they're very strong within that top 10. Can't sleep on Woodward, he just landed one Philly OT.

** Full disclosure: I'm definitely not confident about my Conyer to Kentucky pick. Don't put any stock in that right now. I'm not calling him for Tennessee, but I certainly think there is reason for concern. He's not deciding until early next month but it's hard to deny there is real confidence on the other side about this. I know UT folks have been confident, just as folks around UK have been and probably still are. In several recent situations, I have stuck with that confidence on the UK side even as UT's staff seemed to feel differently, and the UK side has a pretty good track record in those cases. Wades, Rogers, Oxendine. But I try to look at each situation critically and if I had to decide today I would not log a pick for UK. That's as far as I'm willing to go because I don't have a smoking gun telling me he's VFL.

** Have seen Austin Ramsey's size listed differently depending on where you look. He is in the ballpark of 6'4 360 I've heard, which would lead me to believe guard is his future. That's significantly different than the 6'7, 330 listed here for a while and that's why we follow up. I like him as a prospect a good deal and think he has very solid potential. He wants to be great. He's a guy who has been to other places more, but wants to play against the best and doesn't mind being away from home.

** Scott Woodward the area recruiter and Zach Yenser the position recruiter for Ramsey as you probably know. Watch out for Woodward, he definitely seems to be getting traction wherever he goes. Seems to put a lot of effort into recruiting and when a guy is getting a good reception from big-time kids in Tennessee and also on the east coast that catches your eye.

** Brad White offered 2023 EDGE defender Branden Palmer from North Carolina. Wrote about him here. Reading into what he said, White didn't push aggressively for a commitment. Maybe don't read into that, because you wouldn't want to push hard right away in most cases. Build the relationship, learn more about him, etc. But the talk about maybe taking an OV during the season tells me he could really be someone on the board. Where? We shall see.

That seemed like one of the bigger developments from camp today. I didn't think it was going to be much of a crowd in terms of prospects of note over the two highest grades but did pop in at the end to eyeball the scene and it didn't look like yesterday. Will check again tomorrow as summer camps at UK wrap up.

** With Dante Reno not visiting I have to assume that's less of an option at quarterback for 2024. Scangarello is in a position now where he has to navigate Danny O'Neil waiting until at least January while keeping other guys warm so you aren't in a bad spot if he goes elsewhere. It's interesting because we really haven't heard much at all with Coen or more recently about UK bringing in a 2023 quarterback. '24 is going to be important. The portal is there but as we've seen at times you can't just bank on it having your answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News