ADVERTISEMENT

Trivia question. Kentucky basketball. 2398 wins. 757 losses. 1 tie(3 questions inside)

crawfords corner

All-American
Jul 9, 2004
The trivia questions are based off of this 1 tie. Don't look up the answer.

Who was the opponent? What was the final score of this game? Why was the final score a tie?

It's funny, I saw last week that we have 1 tie and didn't look it up, so I have no clue. I'm going to go Centre College, 14-14, due to weather

I think it was Kentucky Wesleyan. Not sure of score. But had something to do with a scorers error - I think. Maybe it was Transy? Not sure.

Agree here. Rings a bell. It was a state team and your are correct had something to do with an f up in keeping score of game.

I think it was Kentucky Wesleyan. Not sure of score. But had something to do with a scorers error - I think. Maybe it was Transy? Not sure.

Yes, no score so, No lol, and yes. So, good enough.

It was Wesleyan. It was a scoring error. Wesleyan was awarded a point for a disallowed free throw. The score went from a 22-21 UK loss, to 21-21 tie.

From the fantastic Jon Scott website.

Game Writeup - Lexington Leader
  • WILDCATS TIE WITH WESLEYAN
    Score is 21 to 21 in good game at Winchester - Referee made an error

The Wildcats of the University of Kentucky journeyed to Winchester last night to meet the representatives of Kentucky Wesleyan College in a basketball contest which resulted in a tie, each team scoring 21 points. The fact that the game had resulted in a tie was not discovered until the teams had left the building and were in the gymnasium dressing.
    At first it was thought that Wesleyan had defeated the Wildcats 22 to 21, but the scorers had made a mistake by counting a foul which had been disallowed. Referee Burr, of Wesleyan, signed a statement to this effect which "Daddy" Boles brought home to prove the statement that Wesleyan had not beat the Kentucky basketeers.
    The Wildcats were in bad condition for the contest because of the two hard games which were played Thursday and Friday nights with the Tennessee quintet and were tired in the second half.
    The first period ended with the Kentucky men in the lead by a score of 14 to 4. Wesleyan returned in the second half and began an advance which the blue and white basketeers could not stop.
    Reese and Nunnelly starred for the Wesleyan five and Zerfoss led the scoring for the Wildcats with three field goals and two out of five fouls.
    The game was hotly contested in the last half and both teams fought valiantly for a victory.

Game Writeup - Winchester Daily Democrat (February 11, 1918)

• WESLEYAN WINS OVER STATE
    Score Stands at 22 to 21, in Favor of Local Aggregation - Lexington Reports Colored.
    In one of the fastest games ever staged in Winchester, the Wesleyan boys Saturday night defeated the State University team by a score of 22 to 21. The score was actually a tie, 21-21, as Referee Burr disallowed one of the free throws thrown by Wesleyan. The scores checked up after the game and both agreed that Winchester had won by the score of 22-21. About half an hour after the game, the State scores remembered that there had been some doubt whether Referee Burr had allowed one of Wesleyan's free throws. Boles, the State Coach, then hunted Referee Burr, who admitted that he had disallowed one of Wesleyan's throws in the second half. This can have no bearing on the official score of the game. Spalding's Official Basket Ball Guide for 1918, Rule 6, section 10 covers this point. Wesleyan can and will claim this game. All reports coming out in the Lexington papers have been badly colored.
    Before the State game, Wesleyan Midgets romped on Winchester High School by a score of 24 to 9. The High School boys put up a good fight, but the well oiled team work of the little Midgets was too much for them. These teams play again March 1 before the Wesleyan-Transylvania game.

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
This is another opportunity to praise and thank our friend Jon Scott for his indescribably great and undying work in behalf of all of us 'Cats fans !
Cheers to you, Jon ! ! !
And thanks a million !

Reactions: CatPatrick13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT