ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry hit 59 3’s in a row

Haven’t really been thinking he’d get much PT, but if he can play even a modicum of D and he’s a gamer it’s going to be hard to keep him on the bench.
I think you are correct. I've also been of the mindset he wouldn't see much time this year but if he CAN play some decent defense he would be valuable with the way he can shoot the long ball. Would love to see that happen but we all know shooting 3's in practice is way different from playing a complete game in the SEC. We'll see. Hoping the best for him.

Carr insisted that Perry was hitting 85% of up to 800 shots in one day. If that is true, insane shooting! There aren’t many people hitting 85% FT’s!

Of course, add defense/game speed and obviously he is not hitting anywhere close to that. But, even half that % would be exceptional.

He's an elite shooter. Didn't he break the state record for points his junior year? He has also played against some great competition at least the last few years and at times gets guarded like the WNBA does Caitlyn Clark. I watched him play in the All A state this year and the other team had someone face guarding him the whole game. Every one on the other team knew where he was the whole game. Didn't see him get one clean look the whole game..

He's an elite shooter. Didn't he break the state record for points his junior year? He has also played against some great competition at least the last few years and at times gets guarded like the WNBA does Caitlyn Clark. I watched him play in the All A state this year and the other team had someone face guarding him the whole game. Every one on the other team knew where he was the whole game. Didn't see him get one clean look the whole game..
Good scouting and coaching.

Reactions: KFuqua
I think he might surprise some of the fans with the way he plays. He is going to have a much better cast around him and he may be getting better looks than in HS.

Haven’t really been thinking he’d get much PT, but if he can play even a modicum of D and he’s a gamer it’s going to be hard to keep him on the bench.

I see no way he and Noah sit the bench. They’re too good they shoot too well and they’re gamers. You don’t sit those types all game. At least 1 of them is going to surprise everyone if not both.

I hit 6 in a row from the corner at the church gym last week. I was in the zone. It felt like they’d all fall

Also hit 8-10 from the FT line.

About 6 months ago I hit about 35 3’s over 3 runs. Couldn’t miss. I always like when guys from other counties that played low division come
To the church gym and ask me where I played. I usually say I was too focused on education and walk away.

Travis Perry is Kentucky high school basketball’s all-time leading scorer.

Travis Perry. Not Chris Lofton. Not Reed Sheppard. Shep had just as much opportunity to do it. Went to the same school only one class up. But he didn’t do it. Perry did it.

I’m not trying to put unreasonable expectations on the guy. But I just don’t get the people who think Perry won’t get much playing time.

Why?

Last edited:
One of Perry/chandler will get mins next year

All 3 of Perry, Chandler, and Noah will be getting minutes. We’re gonna be up and down with lots of substitutions this year. Everyone will play, and I think these guys will be getting a lot of looks. None of them came in to sit. Noah to me will be the most overlooked. Kids game is too good he won’t sit. Chandler will be getting lots of minutes too for sure.

All 3 of Perry, Chandler, and Noah will be getting minutes. We’re gonna be up and down with lots of substitutions this year. Everyone will play, and I think these guys will be getting a lot of looks. None of them came in to sit. Noah to me will be the most overlooked. Kids game is too good he won’t sit. Chandler will be getting lots of minutes too for sure.
Don’t see a way you can play 12 guys consistent mins

If they play a "run and gun, crash the boards" style like we've heard. Bench players are going to have opportunities to prove themselves. Nobody is runnin and gunnin for 40 minutes straight.

Travis Perry. Not Chris Lofton. Not Reed Sheppard. Shep had just as much opportunity to do it. Went to the same school only one class up. But he didn’t do it. Perry did it.

I’m not trying to put unreasonable expectations on the guy. But I just don’t get the people who think Perry won’t get much playing time.

Why?
Lamont butler
Krissa
Berea
Oweh

And to some degree Chandler

Those are your PG and SG at UK who all have played extensive games in college wjrh some accomplishments

It’s hard to see more then four guards playing for two spots at 40 min each

Lamont butler
Krissa
Berea
Oweh

Those are your PG and SG at UK who all have played extensive games in college wjrh some accomplishments

The players who perform the best will get the most minutes. It’s crazy that I even have to say that, but such is the Calipari hangover.

It’s not a foregone conclusion that the guys you mentioned will perform better than Perry, experienced though they may be. Even if they do, I still look for Travis to carve out 6-8mpg. Noah more than that due to greater need at his position.

I see no way he and Noah sit the bench. They’re too good they shoot too well and they’re gamers. You don’t sit those types all game. At least 1 of them is going to surprise everyone if not both.
It’s not a reflection on them if they sit. It’s a numbers game. We have 12 guys. Almost impossible for #11 & 12 to play much (whoever they are) without injuries.
Now if you think Perry and Noah beat out someone then ok, but I’d be interested who you think they beat out.

The great thing about how Pope is recruiting and it applies to Perry. He will not be considered a failure if his Freshman season is a learning curve vs. and not a one and done. How about this concept, you grow each year in your role and skills! Unheard of for the past number of Cal seasons.

He probably missed #60 because he got tired. Do you guys realize how many 59 really is? He shot for between five and ten MINUTES and didn't miss a shot. He'd have to be unconscious to do that. I've played sports my whole life, and I've hit "the zone" a handful of times. Each of those times I eventually REALIZED I was in the zone, and promptly fell out of the zone. Travis stayed in the zone for up to TEN MINUTES. He had to have realized it at some point, and I'm sure people were gathering around him watching and commenting. His level of concentration must be stellar.

Lamont butler
Krissa
Berea
Oweh

Perry is better than Chandler 100% and not a knock on Colin but it's just the way it is

The players who perform the best will get the most minutes. It’s crazy that I even have to say that, but such is the Calipari hangover.

It’s not a foregone conclusion that the guys you mentioned will perform better than Perry, experienced though they may be. Even if they do, I still look for Travis to carve out 6-8mpg. Noah more than that due to greater need at his position.
I agree the best performing players will play under Pope whereas Cal and his magical view to who would be better by March burned UK multiple times......but I (and many others) don't have Cal hangover. That wasn't necessary.

Perry is most likely the best pure shooter of the bunch (exception could be Berea) but....

- Butler is most likely eons better defensively and his body, handles are also superior to Perry.
- Berea is a proven shooter in college.... 50%3pt last year is stronger resume
- Oweh....is probably superior scorer, better defender, maybe best player on team off the bounce.
- Krissa has been my most skeptical of the guards.....but he's been a PG for a while in college, known streaky shooter/scorer and a knack for making the pass as a playmaker
- Perry for all his offensive attributes at Lyon County......they played typical high school defense. Zone, stand in an area and not high level defense. And he's not the athlete Reed was. So I'm guessing his adjustment to defense will be higher than all the other guards (Krissa might be the only one with not a much better defensive presence). Also Perry has an adjustment with physical nature of college and his body could use some strength).

Nothing to do with Cal hangover stuff....there are only 4-6 guards for 2 spots......I'd argue to get in rotation only 4 guards will get them.

It’s not a reflection on them if they sit. It’s a numbers game. We have 12 guys. Almost impossible for #11 & 12 to play much (whoever they are) without injuries.
Now if you think Perry and Noah beat out someone then ok, but I’d be interested who you think they beat out.

I think they’ll all get run. Nobody is playing 35 minutes a game with pope they don’t have to. We’ll have some injuries through the year for sure, some guys won’t live up and will lose minutes others will take more. It’ll find its way.

Why?

It’s because people are conditioned to think if Calipari didn’t want him and he doesn’t have an Atlantic Ocean wing span with a Jordan vertical then he’s no good. I don’t know how many times that nonsense has to blow up on a college floor for people to realize it’s BS but it’s a repetitive belief that won’t go away.

Basketball skill > athletic pogo sticks

I’m so glad we now have a coach that gets it. Calipari did too, but he wanted those draft picks over wins.

Lamont butler
Krissa
Berea
Oweh

Oweh is a versatile wing and not fighting for his life for those same 80 zero sum minutes. Chandler hasn’t played any games in any college to any degree. We’re waiting to see whether Butler is playable in situations where we need perimeter firepower. Reed had to vie for minutes with

Reeves
Dillingham
Wagner
Hart

And to some degree Thiero

In a system with very limited motion that didn’t create much of any need for anyone to take a breather once the bigs came back and he still did what he did. There is no legitimate argument why Perry should be expected in advance to see substantially fewer minutes than Sheppard. People are doing exactly what keeps being said and seeing this all through Calipari’s twisted lens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT