ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry hit 59 3’s in a row

Hitting 59 straight 3s, even if wide open and no defense, is spectacular. That good of a shooter can’t be kept on the bench, even if his D is not that good.
Slow your role a little. Let’s not go bonkers and put him in the starting lineup just yet.

If he is doing that or anywhere near that in a game environment you may have a point, but he didn’t go bonkers in the KY-IN Allstar game. He wasn’t terrible but he wasn’t dominant. Let’s let him grow into the role without putting too many expectations on him. I am sure he will have some moments.

Reactions: baseball is life
Perry got 5400 points, so he can get buckets. The record didn't stand for 70 years because it was easy to break.
He also can gets to his spot off the bounce, he doesn't just spot up.
Yep, and there were some great high school players, some HS All Americans,
in Kentucky during those 70 years that didn't break it. Darrell Griffith, Dirk Minnifield, Rex, Farmer, Feldhaus, Pelphrey, Chris Lofton, Darius Miller, and Reed are guys that didn't. They all turned out to be pretty good and faced similar competition.

Jon Hood hit a bunch in practice

Yea but that’s not even remotely usable to gauge Perry. Perry has night in and night out absolutely dominated entire seasons and is the all time scoring leader. Hood was good until his injury but he wasn’t in that realm. I even said at the time Hood looked to me to be a 150 3 star not a 4. His injury slowed him but I don’t think he was ever going to dominate on a college floor. Perry absolutely can and Perry is the real deal with scoring from the floor.

Even trying to not jump the gun the two aren’t close to similar.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
Yep, and there were some great high school players, some HS All Americans,
in Kentucky during those 70 years that didn't break it. Darrell Griffith, Dirk Minnifield, Rex, Farmer, Feldhaus, Pelphrey, Chris Lofton, Darius Miller, and Reed are guys that didn't. They all turned out to be pretty good and faced similar competition.
I'm not sure about all of those guys, but you have to think averaging 20ppg and 26ppg as a 7th and 8th grader gave him a huge edge on the scoring record over those others you mentioned. Still obviously incredibly impressive, but doesn't necessarily mean he is the best player of that group entering college.

I'm not sure about all of those guys, but you have to think averaging 20ppg and 26ppg as a 7th and 8th grader gave him a huge edge on the scoring record over those others you mentioned. Still obviously incredibly impressive, but doesn't necessarily mean he is the best player of that group entering college.
I wasn't implying that he's the best but only that he's legit. All those others had the same opportunities to score too against similar competition. He is definitely an elite scorer.

Slow your role a little. Let’s not go bonkers and put him in the starting lineup just yet.

If he is doing that or anywhere near that in a game environment you may have a point, but he didn’t go bonkers in the KY-IN Allstar game. He wasn’t terrible but he wasn’t dominant. Let’s let him grow into the role without putting too many expectations on him. I am sure he will have some moments.
Nearly word for word what people said about Herro AND Sheppard before their freshman seasons.

Because he was able to score like that as a 7th and eight grader. Legit is all. Not best.

I hit 6 in a row from the corner at the church gym last week. I was in the zone. It felt like they’d all fall

Also hit 8-10 from the FT line.

LOL, I hit six in a row last Saturday. Shot 10 shots, made six (missed three, hit six, missed one). I had not shot in almost a year. First shot was two feet short.

Let's be reasonable here. I love Perry and think he will be a great college player. I don't know if it will be this year tho. I know it's more about skill and heart more than anything and I know he has plenty of both. However he is 6 foot 1 and 178 lbs and getting his shot off against a KY average high school guard of about 5-11 175 lbs is going to be much different then a SEC guard of 6-5 210 lbs. With the players we have this season I would be really happy if he played a Mills in 98 type role off the bench come in for 5-10 minutes hit a couple 3's and not let his man torch us. THEN as a Sophomore take that big leap in minutes and production. If he turns into the next Sheppard I'll love it if not I'm happy to watch him grown however many years it takes to become the player we know he can be.

Goes with all stuff I heard about him. A great shooter on same level as Reed or maybe better (not the overall game of Reed of course) . A big chip on his shoulder with something to prove, and highest level competitor.

I think one of prevailing themes after every game this year win or or lose is Travis should of gotten more minutes

Don't forget he got those points against high school players his 7th & 8th grade at 12 & 13 years old. I saw a game when he was a 8th grader against the number 1 player in another region that was a senior and the Travis was by far the best total player on the floor. Top scorer, assist and steals in the game, who knows if that will translate to college but he improved each year through high school. There plenty of film of AAU ball with him against top players in the nation, all you have to do is Google it or go to YouTube to watch. I hope he does well but don't expect it to be this year with all the experience on this squad. If he plays a lot this year getexcited because he's going to be really good.

Reactions: CELTICAT
Couldn’t get 60?
Me waiting on the "This is on Pope because he is in over his head and can't coach these elite kids blah blah blah" crowd.

Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

Makes me wonder how Kriisa and Perry look playing together. In video's they look like they complement each other well. Then I think about what if Sheppard was still here to play with those two.

If Perry has a Kyle Guy like career. Played for Virginia 6-2 175 about the same size and style Perry plays. Won a Natty. Now that would be awesome.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT