ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry, does he end up here, yes or no ?

unfortunately, this youngster does not fit the mold for the type of player that ccc likes. He likes athletes regardless of their shooting ability & that has come back to bite him numerous times. This kid is a
basketball player. Not overly quick or athletic, just a basketball player that understands the game and
how it should be played.

I don't think that Reed would be at UK if his parents had not played. I just think that ccc felt too much
pressure from the fans to ignore him, especially since he was highly rated.

The state just doesn't produce that many high quality basketball recruits for what ever reason.
When one comes along, I like to see them at UK. In state kids that went elsewhere - Vandy, UT, etc.
have always come back to haunt UK, and I have no doubt the same would happen here if the
opportunity arises.

Reactions: Alias44
sorry they’re not making the 80th ranked player in the country, who didn’t grow up a UK fan & doesn’t seem interested, a top priority
Well thank you for sharing your inside info on Perry.

I wish him the best at Ole Miss if that is where he decides to go. It is almost as close to Oxford as it is to Lexington from Lyon County, he will go where he is wanted and I hope he has a great career there.

Reactions: Alias44
unfortunately, this youngster does not fit the mold for the type of player that ccc likes. He likes athletes regardless of their shooting ability & that has come back to bite him numerous times. This kid is a
basketball player. Not overly quick or athletic, just a basketball player that understands the game and
how it should be played.

I don't think that Reed would be at UK if his parents had not played. I just think that ccc felt too much
pressure from the fans to ignore him, especially since he was highly rated.

The state just doesn't produce that many high quality basketball recruits for what ever reason.
When one comes along, I like to see them at UK. In state kids that went elsewhere - Vandy, UT, etc.
have always come back to haunt UK, and I have no doubt the same would happen here if the
opportunity arises.
I don't think ccc expected Reed and Jeff to walk into his office and take him up on his offer. He was not recruiting him like he recruits kids he really wants. I think it totally threw ccc off guard. I am sure all you experts on here who have been UK "fans" for your entire life, "only ccc has been the coach" will correct me on my assessment. Thanks in advance.

And he is still only ranked 80 in a “god awful” class? That should tell you something.

And thats based on what? We saw what a nice defender Reed is in Canada. Travis scored 45 on him. Travis plays off the ball and does so many other things for his team besides score.
They did not guard each other the whole game.

I don't think ccc expected Reed and Jeff to walk into his office and take him up on his offer. He was not recruiting him like he recruits kids he really wants. I think it totally threw ccc off guard. I am sure all you experts on here who have been UK "fans" for your entire life, "only ccc has been the coach" will correct me on my assessment. Thanks in advance.
"on my assessment" do you mean your total non-factual opinion

"on my assessment" do you mean your total non-factual opinion
Based on knowledge. I have been around the program and involved when I was school during the transition from Coach Rupp and Coach Hall and after graduation all these years. I remain good friends with four of the members of the Super Kittens. I used to volunteer drive Coach Hall and Leonard Hamilton on recruiting trips. Those Super Kitten members are still very much in the know and know the facts that currently go on around the program.

Perry is not the all-around talent Sheppard is but I still want him here. Certainly not at IU, Purdue or UVA.

Last edited:
Based on knowledge. I have been around the program and involved when I was school during the transition from Coach Rupp and Coach Hall and after graduation all these years. I remain good friends with four of the members of the Super Kittens. I used to volunteer drive Coach Hall and Leonard Hamilton on recruiting trips. Those Super Kitten members are still very much in the know and know the facts that currently go on around the program.
opinion is not knowledge
opinion is also not fact

most of the rabid fans thought the same thing.......that ccc was only going thru the recruiting motions with Reed and his family. I truly think that he has been surprised by the abilities of Reed and did not expect him to play with the control and understanding of the game that he has shown.

another example of ccc's reluctance to recruit in state kids is Dontae Allen. Again, I think he was just going thru the motions and the youngster jumped at the opportunity to play at UK. Also believe his injuries hurt him during his time at UK. In state kids just bring another source of pressure for ccc and his ego does not accept being proven wrong. Reed, Perry, Johnson and the big 6'10" kid all have the ability to play for UK. They may not be stars, but they can help just like Darius Miller & Derek Willis did.

Reactions: tomrain
the super kittens were on of my favorite players growing up. I saw Jimmy Dan play for Anderson county. Flynn was superb and Grevey was just tremendous. If ccc had been coach, they probably would have never played for UK.

Reactions: tomrain
Reed was also the highest ranked player in the state of Kentucky since Darius Miller, 15 years ago.
Scotty Hobson was a 5 star recruit, ranked #5 nationally by Rivals, pretty sure Jon Hood was ranked around 40s.

Scotty Hobson was a 5 star recruit, ranked #5 nationally by Rivals, pretty sure Jon Hood was ranked around 40s.
Hopson was also a McDonald's All-American that year. I was moreso leaning into that.

2008 was a heck of a year for the state of Kentucky players. Definitely an anomaly:
-Darius Miller (3rd team Parade All-American, future SEC tournament MVP, SEC Sixth Man of the Year, and NBA draftee)
-Scotty Hopson (McDonald's All-American, future All-SEC)
-Shelvin Mack (solid years at Butler and eventually an NBA draftee)

Reed was also the highest ranked player in the state of Kentucky since Darius Miller, 15 years ago.
Being the highest ranked player in the state of Kentucky is like being the best ice skater in Mississippi. Sorry. It was not always that way, but it is what it is now. Most years, the best high school basketball player in Kentucky does not belong on Kentucky's scholarship basketball roster. Reed Sheppard is different. Anyone who has watched Reed play understands he is athletically gifted and highly intelligent. I do not know, or care, why Cal likes Reed. Reed is a very good player and he belongs. I look for Reed to be one of the SEC's best freshmen. I am a believer in Perry, too. But Perry and Sheppard are different players. Perry could help us on the perimeter. But does Perry want to wear blue and white? Is that a priority for him? Nobody can force him to sign with Cal. Sheppard wants to play for Cal. IDK what Perry wants, and this is not anyone's fault. But if he happens to want Kentucky, I think he would do well in Lexington. He will do well wherever he plays, but that is his decision to make.

the super kittens were on of my favorite players growing up. I saw Jimmy Dan play for Anderson county. Flynn was superb and Grevey was just tremendous. If ccc had been coach, they probably would have never played for UK.
Why do you think they would have never played for Calipari?

Being the highest ranked player in the state of Kentucky is like being the best ice skater in Mississippi. Sorry. It was not always that way, but it is what it is now. Most years, the best high school basketball player in Kentucky does not belong on Kentucky's scholarship basketball roster. Reed Sheppard is different. Anyone who has watched Reed play understands he is athletically gifted and highly intelligent. I do not know, or care, why Cal likes Reed. Reed is a very good player and he belongs. I look for Reed to be one of the SEC's best freshmen. I am a believer in Perry, too. But Perry and Sheppard are different players. Perry could help us on the perimeter. But does Perry want to wear blue and white? Is that a priority for him? Nobody can force him to sign with Cal. Sheppard wants to play for Cal. IDK what Perry wants, and this is not anyone's fault. But if he happens to want Kentucky, I think he would do well in Lexington. He will do well wherever he plays, but that is his decision to make.
That was worded incorrectly. I meant that he was the highest ranked player NATIONALLY from the state.

Lately, most Kentucky Mr. Basketballs have ended up at mid-majors.

the super kittens were on of my favorite players growing up. I saw Jimmy Dan play for Anderson county. Flynn was superb and Grevey was just tremendous. If ccc had been coach, they probably would have never played forJoe
Joe B. was the John Calipari of the 70's.

Much better for players like Jalil Bathea who are openly into UK don’t have offers and people are complaining about Travis Perry. SMH

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT