ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry, does he end up here, yes or no ?

Reed was also an McDonald's All-American, which is extremely rare in these parts.

Yeah, I'm just saying it isn't like Cal takes a total blind eye to talented players in the state.

I just think there is a narrative that Cal doesn't like in state kids and I know he has been here for a long time but we haven't recruited in state well since way before Calipari. Who was another key contributor in state (signed out of HS) before Darius? Senior, Ravi Moss? Before that you have to go back to Padgett, Epps, Mills...we are all the way back to early/mid '90's.

Last edited:
Ole Miss- coached by domestic abuser. Not sure that's the "right way"

Purdue- Painter just doesn't impress me. He's a good coach, but always falls short in post season. Not sure if that's what you should look for, but to each his own.

Cincy? Wes Miller? I guess he's ok. Just not overly impressive up there yet.
All three have had success with players like Perry.

Yeah, I'm just saying it isn't like Cal takes a total blind eye to talented players in the state.

I just think there is a narrative that Cal doesn't like in state kids and I know he has been here for a long time but we haven't recruited in state well since way before Calipari. Who was another key contributor in state (signed out of HS) before Darius? Ravi Moss? Before that you have to go back to Padgett, Epps, Mills...we are all the way back to early/mid '90's.

Agreed. If this player was from West Virginia people on here wouldn't even be asking about him.

I dont even think Calipari will be here when this guy is a freshmen anyways. New coach isn't winning sh#! building a team around this perry guy either. Nice bench piece and maybe a starter option way down the road.

Agreed. If this player was from West Virginia people on here wouldn't even be asking about him.

I dont even think Calipari will be here when this guy is a freshmen anyways. New coach isn't winning sh#! building a team around this perry guy either. Nice bench piece and maybe a starter option way down the road.

So you think Cal is gone no matter what this year? I used to think that but starting to think otherwise.

Agree with you on player though admittedly I've only seen highlights of him.

We haven’t made him a priority so he isn’t feeling the love. Of course, that could change and we go full court press on him.

On a side note, I watched him play multiple times this year and he would be a great addition. He can fill it up.. averaged 23 on the Adidas Circuit… good for 3rd overall.

We haven’t made him a priority so he isn’t feeling the love. Of course, that could change and we go full court press on him.

On a side note, I watched him play multiple times this year and he would be a great addition. He can fill it up.. averaged 23 on the Adidas Circuit… good for 3rd overall.
Sounds like a diva.

UK hasn't prioritized him, probably asked them to wait to see how their roster shakes out. If he wants to come fill a spot as a freshman, i'd take him. But at this stage, i'd focus on other guys/returnees. He's a good player, not saying he isn't. But his game is best suited for the Big 10 type teams, or even ACC. I think he wants to play alot early, nothing wrong with that. But if thats the case, its not a good match with UK.

I know we technically offered him but it doesn’t seem like we are recruiting him very hard. He’ll probably play somewhere else.

Perry will never play for John Calapari.
I agree with this. Some are saying he has an offer, (which he does) what else can Cal do?

Well lets not pretend that all recruitments w/offers are the same. We would hear reports of trying to set up more visits, more rumblings or stories about him.

So far, nothing. I don't think he will choose UK.

I find it interesting that nationally he's only ranked in the 70s and 80s. Yes, he's only 6'2, not extremely athletic, and plays in a weak basketball state, but does he have another glaring weakness to be ranked so low in a supposed extremely-awful class? I've never seen him in a game, so I have no great assessment of him.

Given the quality of the class, I think that the coaching staff might be hoping that Reed and Joey Hart pan out and then hit the transfer portal and/or overseas talent. I have ZERO insight, but outside of a limited few, it doesn't seem like the staff has really offered a ton of guys in the class. It looks like the only other guards they are in serious play with are Boogie Fland and Tre Johnson.

I think he’s watching closely to see if Cal and UK commit to a spread offense that uses multiple shooters and high iq multi skilled players. If we continue the offense we used in Canada he would fit in well. Has the shooting passing and ball handling skills. Good enough defender. Team player. Tough minded and calm.

If we go back to the one corner shooter offense he’s better off elsewhere
pretty much sums it up. If we indeed stay with a spread offense he'll be here.

I find it interesting that nationally he's only ranked in the 70s and 80s. Yes, he's only 6'2, not extremely athletic, and plays in a weak basketball state, but does he have another glaring weakness to be ranked so low in a supposed extremely-awful class? I've never seen him in a game, so I have no great assessment of him.

Given the quality of the class, I think that the coaching staff might be hoping that Reed and Joey Hart pan out and then hit the transfer portal and/or overseas talent. I have ZERO insight, but outside of a limited few, it doesn't seem like the staff has really offered a ton of guys in the class. It looks like the only other guards they are in serious play with are Boogie Fland and Tre Johnson.
My guess is that Perry wants to play a lot early and Kentucky isn’t going to agree to that. Hart probably agreed/understood he’s a long term piece. But just a guess. Perry could go to a place like Purdue and play a lot as a freshman. The SEC isn’t great for his style of play unless he’s an absolute sniper.

My guess is that Perry wants to play a lot early and Kentucky isn’t going to agree to that. Hart probably agreed/understood he’s a long term piece. But just a guess. Perry could go to a place like Purdue and play a lot as a freshman. The SEC isn’t great for his style of play unless he’s an absolute sniper.
Completely agree.

I heard all the same arguments against Reed Shephard too; weak competition, not athletic enough, etc, etc, but after seeing him in Canada everyone changed their tunes. When they played head to head Perry outplayed Reed by a big margin. Dont get me wrong, I love watching Reed and think he will be a huge favorite to everyone, myself included. I can see Travis being similar to what Richie Farmer was at UK. Similar size and ability and just good old smart basketball players who figure out how to beat you.

I heard all the same arguments against Reed Shephard too; weak competition, not athletic enough, etc, etc, but after seeing him in Canada everyone changed their tunes. When they played head to head Perry outplayed Reed by a big margin. Dont get me wrong, I love watching Reed and think he will be a huge favorite to everyone, myself included. I can see Travis being similar to what Richie Farmer was at UK. Similar size and ability and just good old smart basketball players who figure out how to beat you.
please explain what you mean "by a big margin"
also which team won, what were the shooting percentages of each player, which player shared the ball better

heck just post the complete stats of the game

Calipari has done a pretty decent job of inking top KY talent in fairness.

Hood, Polson, Hawkins, Willis, Allen, Sheppard + other walk on's. It is honestly better than Tubby or Rick did with in state talent that they actually recruited out of HS.

The truth of the matter is at least over past 25 years or so the majority of in state kids just didn't pan out at UK. Tackett, Stockton, Blevins are glaring examples.

I'm not saying this kid won't pan out but his recruitment shouldn't be held to a higher standard than anyone else's....a guy like Reed (legacy) was a must get, this kids isn't, JMHO.
Maybe out of high school, but Pitino killed it with getting Kentucky guys from high school or via transfer:

Anderson - transfer
Padgett - high school
Mills - high school
Ford - transfer
Epps - high school

Pitino was only there for 8 years and he had a knack for landing the better Kentucky guys during those few years in Lexington.

Maybe out of high school, but Pitino killed it with getting Kentucky guys from high school or via transfer:

Anderson - transfer
Padgett - high school
Mills - high school
Ford - transfer
Epps - high school

Pitino was only there for 8 years and he had a knack for landing the better Kentucky guys during those few years in Lexington.
There were better Kentucky guys then.

Reactions: BlueWhite21
Seems like a perfect transfer portal guy to get later on, similar to CJ Fredrick route.

With Calipari, it makes sense to let guys like Perry and Moreno go elsewhere and get experience while he lands the Jasper Johnson and Sheppard types wary on.

Reactions: G-PIP and Zissou87

Anderson - transfer
Padgett - high school
Mills - high school
Ford - transfer
Epps - high school

Honestly, the talent was better in the state then. Pitino did kill it and so did the leaders before him. That is kind of my point. It has literally been decades since UK really invested in in state recruiting.

please explain what you mean "by a big margin"
also which team won, what were the shooting percentages of each player, which player shared the ball better

heck just post the complete stats of the game
Well Perry, who's team won, scored a career high against Reed, outscored him 45 to 32. Reed played well too, but I consider being outscored by 13 is significant. Not sure what Perry's assist total was, but he shares the ball very well for the most part. I'm not dogging on Reed because I have been as big of supporter of his as anyone, but these people who say Perry can't perform against competition are crazy. I kinda detect you're looking for an argument? My hope is next year we will see Reed and Travis in the same backcourt.

Last edited:
Well Perry scored a career high against Reed, outscored him 45 to 32. Reed played well too, but I consider being outscored by 13 is significant. Not sure what Perry's assist total was, but he shares the ball very well for the most part. I'm not dogging on Reed because I have been as big of supporter of his as anyone, but these people who say Perry can't perform against completion are crazy. I kinda detect you're looking for an argument? My hope is next year we will see Reed and Travis in the same backcourt.
Perry isn't good enough to play right away at uk. He doesn't do the off ball things shep does. Shep is being cross trained to potentially be the pg as a soph

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Perry isn't good enough to play right away at uk. He doesn't do the off ball things shep does. Shep is being cross trained to potentially be the pg as a soph
And thats based on what? We saw what a nice defender Reed is in Canada. Travis scored 45 on him. Travis plays off the ball and does so many other things for his team besides score.

• Love
Reactions: tug1543
Beard is the best Coach in SEC and will finish top 3 in league in first year
Shepard is out lowest ranked Freshman and our best one don’t get caught up in rankings
Perry will do what’s best for him

When the dust settles I'll say yes
So far, there is no known reason to believe he will sign with Kentucky. That could change. There is still time. I cannot see why anyone would believe Cal has prioritized Perry so far. But Cal is well known for procrastination as a recruiter.

Beard is the best Coach in SEC and will finish top 3 in league in first year
Shepard is out lowest ranked Freshman and our best one don’t get caught up in rankings
Perry will do what’s best for him
Literally everything you said in this post is wrong, I guess except for Perry doing what’s best for him. Good job.

Well Perry, who's team won, scored a career high against Reed, outscored him 45 to 32. Reed played well too, but I consider being outscored by 13 is significant. Not sure what Perry's assist total was, but he shares the ball very well for the most part. I'm not dogging on Reed because I have been as big of supporter of his as anyone, but these people who say Perry can't perform against competition are crazy. I kinda detect you're looking for an argument? My hope is next year we will see Reed and Travis in the same backcourt.
Does Travis play AAU?

Well Perry, whose team won, scored a career high against Reed, outscored him 45 to 32. Reed played well too, but I consider being outscored by 13 is significant. Not sure what Perry's assist total was, but he shares the ball very well for the most part. I'm not dogging on Reed because I have been as big of supporter of his as anyone, but these people who say Perry can't perform against competition are crazy. I kinda detect you're looking for an argument? My hope is next year we will see Reed and Travis in the same backcourt.
I watched the game. Reed had a 32 point triple double and was without the 2nd best player on the team who averaged 18ppg. Those two kids were the North Laurel team. The fact they only lost by 8 and Sheppard still had 13 assist is pretty wild if you watched them much. NL played them box & 1 and a little zone all night. Reed didn’t guard him. Perry is a sniper but being able to defend, having the speed, and length to play at UK are his issues. He’s an amazing scorer and I have no doubt he can get his shot off against top tier college guys. If we ran a different system, he could be a great fit. He’ll fit in somewhere and play well, just probably not here and not of his own fault.

Last edited:
I hope he comes to Ky but seems that some other schools are recruiting him harder, I don't see him coming to Ky.

If he's good enough to play at UK he will. If he's not, he won't.

There is nothing wrong with our offense. Nor has there ever been. It's a pro offense. Players that play have always thrived in this offense. Players that can't have problems with it. If Perry is a system guy then he needs to seek his system.

I've seen him play a couple times. The opponents were not very good so it's hard to say. What's he doing on the AAU circuit when he plays against future D1 players? He doesn't look like he can guard at this level.

But I never saw Sheppard play live. His videos looked like he couldn't guard this level. But it now appears he can.

If he choses UK and is good enough to play, Cal will play him. If he's not good enough to play, he can ride the bench here and collect NIL money. It's his choice. If he doesn't chose UK then I couldn't care less what bench he rides.
Reed had tons of video showing he could play with anyone. He crushed on the AAU circuit.

I hope he comes to Ky but seems that some other schools are recruiting him harder, I don't see him coming to Ky.
If UK was recruiting him that would be a start. They have offered him. If they we’re recruiting him like the schools that are really recruiting him like Ole Miss and others that he mentions…if UK was really recruiting him, he’d already be committed.

Reactions: chevyman 50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT