ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry announcing soon

The NO FILTER Alan Cutler Show 4.19.24

Ryan Perry interview with Alan Cutler.

- Cal recruited Travis as a junior when Travis was playing an AAU event. Cal was there to see Xavier Booker and just happened to be there. Travis went off. Cal was at the door to get his information as Travis was walking out. Cal called before they even got home.

"...maybe the day after Coach Pope took the job, you know, when he reached out and did a FaceTime with Travis, and told Travis to get his arm or shoulder loosened up, you know, be ready to shoot those shots. You know, so that was obviously something Travis liked to hear because we all know he likes to get those shots up and score the basketball."

Alan Cutler - "So Travis is coming, There's no ifs, ands, or buts if I want to make sure I understand it correctly."

Ryan Perry - "Travis still hasn't got to have a sit down meeting with Coach Pope. He was there at the press conference and met with him for a little while after the press conference. But my wife, our family, she still hasn't been able to be there and meet Coach." ......."And I feel like the momentum is that direction. And Travis, you know, Travis is a Kentucky kid. Travis loves Kentucky. Travis wants to put the blue and white on."

The NO FILTER Alan Cutler Show 4.19.24

Ryan Perry interview with Alan Cutler.

- Cal recruited Travis as a junior when Travis was playing an AAU event. Cal was there to see Xavier Booker and just happened to be there. Travis went off. Cal was at the door to get his information as Travis was walking out. Cal called before they even got home.

"...maybe the day after Coach Pope took the job, you know, when he reached out and did a FaceTime with Travis, and told Travis to get his arm or shoulder loosened up, you know, be ready to shoot those shots. You know, so that was obviously something Travis liked to hear because we all know he likes to get those shots up and score the basketball."

Alan Cutler - "So Travis is coming, There's no ifs, ands, or buts if I want to make sure I understand it correctly."

Ryan Perry - "Travis still hasn't got to have a sit down meeting with Coach Pope. He was there at the press conference and met with him for a little while after the press conference. But my wife, our family, she still hasn't been able to be there and meet Coach." ......."And I feel like the momentum is that direction. And Travis, you know, Travis is a Kentucky kid. Travis loves Kentucky. Travis wants to put the blue and white on."
If that's the case, then Pope needs to meet with Travis and the family to reaffirm everything. Can't take anything for granted, even with a Kentucky boy. Sounds like he's all in and knows he's wanted by coach, but still. Build that connection, Mr. Pope.

If that's the case, then Pope needs to meet with Travis and the family to reaffirm everything. Can't take anything for granted, even with a Kentucky boy. Sounds like he's all in and knows he's wanted by coach, but still. Build that connection, Mr. Pope.
Listen to the interview and you will feel less worried. The interview starts about the 77 min mark.

If he were to announce he was seeking other options I think he would have done so already. Regardless, if he does, can we not excoriate him? If a kid doesn’t want to be here, I’d rather a kid who wants to be a part of the foundation.
Looks to me like there won’t be an announcement and this is more internet stupidity drummed up. Poor kid might have to say something to shut the nuts up that are on the ledge ready to jump. smh.

Last edited:
The kid is a baller, if he comes out and says "I am from Kentucky, I want to play at UK it has always been my dream", what does that do for his NIL leverage? He is doing what he needs to do in order to maximize the amount of money he will get paid to play at UK next year. he wants and needs UK to need to have to keep him here, it's not a bad business decision on his part. A whole lot of NIL money has been freed up with Reed, Wagner and Rob gone... Perry probably wants a cut. He is a Kentucky kid, we want our Kentucky kid at UK... pay him.

It's probably about money. Perry doesn't really have the size to make the league, so he has to maximize his earnings right now. Apparently we are being out bid by other programs right now . I don't blame the kid.. It's less money for him if he acts like they don't need to pay him to get him.

Looks to me like there won’t be an announcement and this is more internet stupidity drummed up. Poor kid might have to say something to shut the idiots up that are on the ledge ready to jump. smh.
Story has been reported by other outlets. I agree with others that is more about the NIL and getting what he can. Hopefully he and Pope can meet soon and put this to rest.

It's probably about money. Perry doesn't really have the size to make the league, so he has to maximize his earnings right now. Apparently we are being out bid by other programs right now . I don't blame the kid.. It's less money for him if he acts like they don't need to pay him to get him.
No doubt it is about maximizing his financial situation and you can't blame him. However he will not get close to the same type of endorsement money at other schools. He can shoot a commercial right now for any company in the bluegrass and be recognized. Not happening at other places. He has a chance to be a Kentucky legend and the financial gains down the road will exceed any other school he chooses.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
That doesn't sound on board. That sounds terrified and a little perturbed that suddenly the pressure was put onto an incoming freshman.

I'd say he's reopening his recruitment, based on this alone.
He needs to grow up quick. Its a privledge to have pressure and failure is not an option. Great players want the pressure but toughness is hard to find in the snowflake generation.

Because those revenue rankings looked odd to me, I briefly looked into that study. The numbers are based on what the institutions reported to the DOE for the Equity in Athletics disclosure requirements--which is related to Title IX.

So, I looked up UK's disclosure (linked below). All sports show exactly the same expenses as revenue (net zero). UK included the following caveat.

" In addition, the instructions for this report
require revenue to be re-allocated to ensure all sports are "fully funded." Please note that our athletics department will report
a small profit, but all sports do not have a net income of zero as this report shows. All our sports are truly fully funded, but not in the manner shown here (revenue in this fiscal year came mostly from non-sports specific, men’s basketball, and football). The NCAA report will show all sports with the actual revenue earned by sport."

So, I decided to go and look up UK's latest NCAA report (also linked below). UK reported $31.2M for Men's Basketball. Of that, only $4M was media rights. There was $57M in non sport specfic media rights, of which basketball is the second biggest portion. So, we know for certain that this ranking underestimated UK's men’s basketball revenue by at least $9M, and in reality much more.

In summary, that ranking of revenue is worthless because it uses the wrong data in the wrong way. In any case, attendance, TV ratings, and social media mentions would be a better measurement of brand power.

Yep. Did research on multiple schools budget reports and none matched the numbers on this report. It’s likely just a data scrape and no one is actually vetting the numbers.

For 2024, it’s probably too early for these numbers to be public regardless. Likely reported at end of school year or quarterly, which would be end of June.

You can’t blame the kid for wanting his piece of the pie. If everyone else at the table is eating, why not eat yourself?

I’m glad anyone but Cal is here and am embracing Pope. I’m wondering if he thinks Perry is much safer/A Hard UK lean and is prioritizing other recruits? Let’s get to Lyon Co., sit down and lock this up please!

Edit: I will always believe that guys like Reed, Pelphrey, Reggie Hanson, etc will play above their star ratings at UK. It means a ton for them to put on that uniform. They embody how we feel as UK fans. Get him!

Looks to me like there won’t be an announcement and this is more internet stupidity drummed up. Poor kid might have to say something to shut the nuts up that are on the ledge ready to jump. smh.
Yeah. It’s irresponsible “reporting” even if it originated from the Paducah times or whatever. It’s just a bunch of words to make a story out of thin air for a deadline essentially

There is an accurate story in another thread. Perry isn’t using this opp for more money, he isn’t opening his recruitment, he isn’t changing his mind. He is a Cat.

Then why is this still a story almost 10 days later? If this is such a silly notion, then he could just come out and say "oh, yeah, I'm a Cat, not sure who said I wasnt"..

But he's not.. and the reason he's not is because he's currently shopping around.

This could all be squashed within 5 seconds if he was so committed to UK and Pope.

Then why is this still a story almost 10 days later? If this is such a silly notion, then he could just come out and say "oh, yeah, I'm a Cat, not sure who said I wasnt"..

But he's not.. and the reason he's not is because he's currently shopping around.
You don’t know what you are talking about. I do. His dad said publicly that he couldn’t see a scenario where he wouldn’t be a Cat. He wants to sit down with Pope and make sure Pope wants him. Not about money. Not about leverage. Not about another press conference.

It’s like the false story going around that Cal said Perry wasn’t good enough.

There isn’t a scenario… that sure sounds like someone wants more money from UK.

Last edited:
You don’t know what you are talking about. I do. His dad said publicly that he couldn’t see a scenario where he wouldn’t be a Cat. He wants to sit down with Pope and make sure Pope wants him. Not about money. Not about leverage. Not about another press conference.

It’s like the false story going around that Cal said Perry wasn’t good enough.

There isn’t a scenario… that sure sounds like someone wants more money from UK.

I don't think it's necessarily about money, I think it's about Perry taking time to make sure this is the best situation for him.

I don't buy that Pope doesn't want him, when Pope is struggling to even land a starting five. And IF Pope DOESN'T want him, than I'd think Perry would know this by now and he would have opened up his recruitment.

There's just no reason for Perry to not have said that he's coming back, nor is there any reason for Pope to be undecided about him. I don't buy that these two haven't talked several times by now.

I don't think it's necessarily about money, I think it's about Perry taking time to make sure this is the best situation for him.

I don't buy that Pope doesn't want him, when Pope is struggling to even land a starting five. And IF Pope DOESN'T want him, than I'd think Perry would know this by now and he would have opened up his recruitment.

There's just no reason for Perry to not have said that he's coming back, nor is there any reason for Pope to be undecided about him. I don't buy that these two haven't talked several times by now.
I understand. Wish it wasn’t a story.

Cal never told him that. Don’t want to argue, but I assure you he didn’t. It was the other way around. Otherwise Perry would have signed with Alabama.

I’ll add, it would be a great story from a Perry standpoint. “Cal said I wasn’t good enough- but I bleed blue and will outwork everyone, etc”. It didn’t happen. Cal had to convince him he was wanted and could contribute. Prior to that conversation, he wondered if the offer was genuine. This can be verified in an interview that he had after the signing.
Wasn't it publicly reported - can't remember if it was KSR or Sources Say or somewhere else - that Cal had told him he wasn't going to get playing time at UK?

Reactions: UKortho
Wasn't it publicly reported - can't remember if it was KSR or Sources Say or somewhere else - that Cal had told him he wasn't going to get playing time at UK?
Yes. Can't remember the source, but Cal told Perry he wouldn't play and Perry responded by saying he was going to make Cal play him (by becoming a great player).

Travis and his dad were busy all week preparing for the Ohio/Kentucky all-star game, so it was understandable they haven't had an opportunity for a sit-down yet. I assume that will happen this week.

No doubt it is about maximizing his financial situation and you can't blame him. However he will not get close to the same type of endorsement money at other schools. He can shoot a commercial right now for any company in the bluegrass and be recognized. Not happening at other places. He has a chance to be a Kentucky legend and the financial gains down the road will exceed any other school he chooses.
He stays here multiple years and becomes a prominent member of the team, he will become more of a legend than Reed Sheppard ever did.

There's just no reason for Perry to not have said that he's coming back

Yes. There is and it's been stated here and elsewhere many times.

Regardless of how badly he wants to be here as a KY kid, he needs to leverage this as much as possible for NIL. He also needs to make sure it's the right fit for him. Doesn't matter if I or you or anyone else thinks it's a great fit. It's up to him to decide, and we don't even have a roster yet.

We've had a coach for a week. We already have 2 commitments in that time. 1 is from a kid that just met our coach in person for the first time this weekend. This isn't shopping for last minute Christmas presents without a list, like Cal used to do here. We need to adjust as fans, just like everyone should have realized last week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT