ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry announcing soon

Yea, all of this new age BS is crazy, press conferences for everything.
As evidenced from this thread, we have a lot of cowardly fans that need constant reassurance. If he's staying it keeps from having to tell each one individually he meets at McDonald's or Subway and getting calls from press for quotes.

Also, a Kentucky player hasn't had a press conference in a decade. He sends out a tweet or wuphf or whatever. No different than you making your post, but people actually care to read it

This is non-sense. It's bullshit. And I don't say that to be mean to you, but if the "Kentucky brand" isn't what it it was, where was it at the tail end of Tubby Smith or Gillispie? Tubby Smith routinely got beat for bigtime recruits. Gillispie was recruiting 8th graders. Curmudgeons made the same comments then about "Kentucky's brand".

"Kentucky's brand" hasn't changed in 70+ years. It's traditional excellence or the striving for it. That's it. There are maybe 4-5 programs who have any brand like ours. It ebbs and flows, like programs in all sports, from the New York Yankees to LA Lakers, but making statements about the decline of Kentucky branding....what? What are we even talking about?
You must enjoy burying your head in the sand, I guess? You're simply looking at this from the perspective of a Kentuckian maybe? But if you think the Kentucky brand is nationally what it's been at its peak, you're delusional - which is completely possible.

Kentucky hasn't won a title since 2012. God's honest-truth, I teach and coach HS kids, and they do NOT talk about Kentucky basketball. UCONN is all the craze, UNC and the Jordan brand, Kansas and Bill Self - if you can't also see that, then you're 100% biased, simple as that. 5 years since an SEC-T win and 5 years with only 1 NCAA-T win and you think the brand isn't diminished? Get out of here

Again, delusions and bias aside, I have no idea how you can't see it - or you simply choose not to. SEC coaches have even stated that the Kentucky jersey isn't intimidating anymore, and SEC players aren't intimidated by the jersey anymore. Heck, look at St Peters and Oakland - neither one of them were scared.

Lost to 14-seed Oakland
Lost to 15-seed St Peter's
Lost to Kansas St
2021 in the NIT
2019 upset by Auburn
2018 upset by Kansas St

Ebbs and flows? Yeah ok, maybe - but the brand having not declined - delusional

Collins and 3 assistants in first 5 days on the job, but not much to get excited about, you’re right.. lol
I like Collins. Not to crazy about Fox, not entirely sure what his role is. 3-29 and the worst season in Cal history doesn't scream excitement to me. He did give Pope his first job though and Pope doesn't seem like an idiot. So I don't think he'll be doing much coaching.

Hart could be good. I don't know much more than his Wiki page tells me. I don't follow the NBA and especially the G-league. I know they all have NBA connections and that's great for player/recruit engagement. But I'm just wondering about the coaching.

Frueger seems pretty solid and has been with Pope for a while. All in all I trust Pope and his decisions. Obviously they know more about basketball and what is needed here than anyone on these boards. From a fan perspective though not much EXCITING news YET.

How do any of us know that Pope doesn’t have players already locked up but he’s keeping it quiet for a reason? Not a single person on here knows one way or another. Man the UK brand does still attract players you can bet that. Does NIL play a part in this sure it does but man some of you are going overboard. 7 days on the job and people are already throwing the towel in… PATIENCE FELLAS PATIENCE….

I like Collins. Not to crazy about Fox, not entirely sure what his role is. 3-29 and the worst season in Cal history doesn't scream excitement to me. He did give Pope his first job though and Pope doesn't seem like an idiot. So I don't think he'll be doing much coaching.

Hart could be good. I don't know much more than his Wiki page tells me. I don't follow the NBA and especially the G-league. I know they all have NBA connections and that's great for player/recruit engagement. But I'm just wondering about the coaching.

Frueger seems pretty solid and has been with Pope for a while. All in all I trust Pope and his decisions. Obviously they know more about basketball and what is needed here than anyone on these boards. From a fan perspective though not much EXCITING news YET.

Fox will be in a Bruiser Flint type of role. Frueger was a vital piece to bring in, just based off knowing Popes system inside and out alone. Very smart young coach. Hart is a home run hire. Maybe even a down 3, bases loaded grand slam type of hire.

Those 3 coaches should announced today and then the ball will get rolling big time. Expect Amari Williams to commit soon. He visits this weekend. I’ve heard other ramblings but don’t want to put anything out there that might not be true.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
You must enjoy burying your head in the sand, I guess? You're simply looking at this from the perspective of a Kentuckian maybe? But if you think the Kentucky brand is nationally what it's been at its peak, you're delusional - which is completely possible.

Kentucky hasn't won a title since 2012. God's honest-truth, I teach and coach HS kids, and they do NOT talk about Kentucky basketball. UCONN is all the craze, UNC and the Jordan brand, Kansas and Bill Self - if you can't also see that, then you're 100% biased, simple as that. 5 years since an SEC-T win and 5 years with only 1 NCAA-T win and you think the brand isn't diminished? Get out of here

Again, delusions and bias aside, I have no idea how you can't see it - or you simply choose not to. SEC coaches have even stated that the Kentucky jersey isn't intimidating anymore, and SEC players aren't intimidated by the jersey anymore. Heck, look at St Peters and Oakland - neither one of them were scared.

Lost to 14-seed Oakland
Lost to Kansas St
2021 in the NIT
2019 upset by Auburn
2018 upset by Kansas St

The problem is that none of what you're talking about is branding. You're conflating on court results with branding. While there is some relation between winning and branding, to say the brand has changed due to 5 years in the scope of 70+ year body of work is just non-sense. And what does that have to do with the Jordan Brand?

You're indicating some level of irreparable permanence to branding damage. That literally changes over night and has many times in the past. It's nebulous fluff.

What you're really saying in a really obfuscated way is that Kentucky hasn't been as good lately as they have been so we don't have the momentum we had. Okay. That's true. That's what we are trying to change, because the Kentucky brand is what the Kentucky brand is..striving for excellence.

Lost to 14-seed Oakland
Lost to Kansas St
2021 in the NIT
2019 upset by Auburn
2018 upset by Kansas St

Im not done with this yet either. Im gonna double post.

The fact we are talking about the branding of Kentucky basketball in a thread about a Kentucky commit with 99% likelihood of being at Kentucky next year is even more evidence that whatever you're referring to is fluffy perceptional bs. What's your agenda here?

Also based on your argument, where was Kentucky's brand in 1995 when we hadn't won a title for 19 years?

Many here thought kids were going to line up to play for the prodigal son returning to his home state, his alma mater.. They thought we could retain maybe 1 or 2 recruits, maybe 2-3 current roster guys.. they thought the NIL was going to flow from all the corners of the state and just buy the guys we needed.. they thought UK/Pope would smoke Cal..

And none of it came true, and doesn't seem to be coming true. I said the other day, we have through this weekend (or Monday, if you want) to land SEVERAL players, before this is going to be. real problem.
Wait! A few UK fanatics thought everything would go our way with a new coach no player in the east has ever heard of before?

I don’t believe it. The fanbase is always rational.

Lost to 14-seed Oakland
Lost to Kansas St
2021 in the NIT
2019 upset by Auburn
2018 upset by Kansas St

So your opinion is right and everyone else is wrong. You think sheppard came for calipari??

The problem is that none of what you're talking about is branding. You're conflating on court results with branding. While there is some relation between winning and branding, to say the brand has changed due to 5 years in the scope of 70+ year body of work is just non-sense. And what does that have to do with the Jordan Brand?

You're indicating some level of irreparable permanence to branding damage. That literally changes over night and has many times in the past. It's nebulous fluff.

What you're really saying in a really obfuscated way is that Kentucky hasn't been as good lately as they have been so we don't have the momentum we had. Okay. That's true. That's what we are trying to change, because the Kentucky brand is what the Kentucky brand is..striving for excellence.

We had a crap 4 years from 2006 to 2009 seasons (similar to last 4 down years) as well and immediately dominated and won 35 games the next season with cal and company. It can be turned around quickly here due to the brand and the NIL.

People all over know about Kentucky basketball. That will never change.

I will donate a left testicle to science if Perry does not end up at UK.

In terms of comparison, not really comparable to Reed Sheppard. Maybe Richie Farmer & would be ecstatic with that.
He would be comparable to a taller Patrick Sparks for me .

No I'm not, you're just trying to insinuate that since it would help fit your narrative.

So by your definition, every program in the nation has the same brand as Kentucky? Because they all strive for excellence, even if they don't get it - like Kentucky these last 5 years? So if that's our brand...striving for excellence...then what sets us apart from every other program?

When he was interviewed at the press conference he didn’t say he was in. He said he needed to meet with Pope. I thought it was odd at the time and wasn’t convinced he was all in. Thought I was being paranoid with everyone saying he was staying but now not so sure.

Keep in mind with social media those five years have much more impact compared to the days of print media and occasional tv coverage.

Couple that with a focus on individual players through their own brands which in many cases now are established before they even sign with a school. We’ve lost some shine as a program. Cal turned that spotlight off the program and into himself and his recruits the last 15 years.

Maybe we can get it all back or maybe we won’t.

Either way winning cure a lot.

Fox will be in a Bruiser Flint type of role. Frueger was a vital piece to bring in, just based off knowing Popes system inside and out alone. Very smart young coach. Hart is a home run hire. Maybe even a down 3, bases loaded grand slam type of hire.

Those 3 coaches should announced today and then the ball will get rolling big time. Expect Amari Williams to commit soon. He visits this weekend. I’ve heard other ramblings but don’t want to put anything out there that might not be true.
I'm trusting the process. Pope knows the pressure and what's on the line. I doubt he would even be here if he wasn't 100% sure he could do something. A little skeptical is all. Its mostly because of what we've endured the past 5 years.

Reactions: ThrowBackCat9
Im not done with this yet either. Im gonna double post.

The fact we are talking about the branding of Kentucky basketball in a thread about a Kentucky commit with 99% likelihood of being at Kentucky next year is even more evidence that whatever you're referring to is fluffy perceptional bs. What's your agenda here?

Also based on your argument, where was Kentucky's brand in 1995 when we hadn't won a title for 19 years?
So because a Kentucky kid committed to Kentucky, that means Kentucky is as awesome as we've ever been? Is that actually your argument here? Keep in mind, it's a kid that Cal specifically told he was NOT good enough to play here. Soo...

The brand in following Sutton and the first couple years of Pitino was definitely diminished - again, it's delusional to think otherwise. Now, for some of the "die-hards" that refuse to admit that, it still doesn't change the facts. Then guess what, Pitino went on a winning-rampage and re-established the brand.

You think the Billy G era didn't lower the brand?

Smart kid who knows the name on the back is what gets him paid. He has teams fighting for his services at a crucial time which gives him leverage.

He came for th brand as did perry
If you're keeping up with the discussion, the brand isn't simply Kentuck boys wanting to play for their in-state school. That'll never change. Kids in Illinois want to play for the Illini, does that mean Illinois' brand is as good as Kentucky's?

I'm as big of a Perry fan as anyone else, but if you look at his final list, Kentucky wasn't exactly going up against any other Blue Bloods....

So because a Kentucky kid committed to Kentucky, that means Kentucky is as awesome as we've ever been? Is that actually your argument here? Keep in mind, it's a kid that Cal specifically told he was NOT good enough to play here. Soo...

The brand in following Sutton and the first couple years of Pitino was definitely diminished - again, it's delusional to think otherwise. Now, for some of the "die-hards" that refuse to admit that, it still doesn't change the facts. Then guess what, Pitino went on a winning-rampage and re-established the brand.

You think the Billy G era didn't lower the brand?

You are using an article from the Paducah Sun as evidence of the decline of Kentucky's "brand". Not me.

I'm trusting the process. Pope knows the pressure and what's on the line. I doubt he would even be here if he wasn't 100% sure he could do something. A little skeptical is all. Its mostly because of what we've endured the past 5 years.

Totally understandable!

What's a non-sequitur?
Hey remember when you chose not to answer this question and started ranting non-sense instead. Well here you go, another shot at it...

So by your definition, every program in the nation has the same brand as Kentucky? Because they all strive for excellence, even if they don't get it - like Kentucky these last 5 years? So if that's our brand...striving for excellence...then what sets us apart from every other program?

Hey remember when you chose not to answer this question and started ranting non-sense instead. Well here you go, another shot at it...

Ah, now we are going to argue about absurdities deduced from trivial semantics. If you want to believe I am arguing Kentucky is just like every other program in some attempt at a gotcha, you can do that.

My overall point is quite clear, however. Kentucky's brand is the same now as the same it was in 1996 and 2012 and 1985 and 1973 and 1968 and 2015.

That is to be and continue to strive for being the greatest college basketball program. That is Kentucky's brand. If you want to group Kent State in the same group, you can do that.

I don't know but the positivity of the fan base helped Reed Shepperd be successful. Everyone wanted him to be successful and he was.
Travis Perry will have the same thing going for him. He shouldn't worry about playing time. Travis just needs the watch how read Shepperd does in the NBA and that's going to make things easy for him. The NBA goes after trends. The trend could be Kentucky boys who shoot lights out, can cause turnovers, and marketable for the Caucasian nba fan.

I’m confused, I thought he was already staying! If he goes elsewhere than the Pope experiment is failing miserably

I'm not sure that one of the best 3pt shooters of all time in the high school ranks is easily recruited over by anyone not named Calipari. Even if Perry doesn't start, I don't see a scenario where he doesn't play at all next year. Kid's a bucket.
He's our Josh Hubbard. Hope he's wildly successful here!

He came for th brand as did perry

That's flat out false. There is no brand. It's just some instate kids who were probably fans, went to games as kids, and had parents who went here. It may be a legacy thing, but it's certainly no brand.

Some of you need to leave the state for once and realize that no one is paying UK any mind. The kentucky "brand" fizzles out pretty quick once you leave state lines.

That's flat our false. There is no brand. It's just some instate kids who were probably fans, went to games, and had parents who went here.

Some of you need to leave the state for once and realize that no one is paying UK any mind
I live in Texas now. Uk shirts are at most sporting stores. Also if you dont think 27,000 fans meeting the new coach and going crazy did not strengthen the brand. Not to mention a bunch of the nba players sport wildcat clothing and head gear

I live in Texas now. Uk shirts are at most sporting stores. Also if you dont think 27,000 fans meeting the new coach and going crazy did not strengthen the brand. Not to mention a bunch of the nba players sport wildcat clothing and head gear

Again, legacy, and in state fandom in a state that has zero other sports, doesn't matter to the rest of the US. Players outside the state are not coming here for some brand, and I have no idea why people keep thinking this.

Most of the players chose Cal when he left lol. Watch how many really care about UK basketball before long.

There's just this hubris that's been floating around here lately is just becoming absurd.

Ah, now we are going to argue about absurdities deduced from trivial semantics. If you want to believe I am arguing Kentucky is just like every other program in some attempt at a gotcha, you can do that.

My overall point is quite clear, however. Kentucky's brand is the same now as the same it was in 1996 and 2012 and 1985 and 1973 and 1968 and 2015.

That is to be and continue to strive for being the greatest college basketball program. That is Kentucky's brand. If you want to group Kent State in the same group, you can do that.
I'm not the one doing that, YOU are by believing Kentucky's brand is "striving for excellence". Thats akin to saying our brand is interested in participation trophies. The brand is much, much more than "striving for excellence" - that's an empty public school charter message.

Reactions: NociHTTP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT