ADVERTISEMENT

Travis Perry, #1 player in Ky for 2024, highlights

No...probably not. He's still worth the risk. Whats the upside for Travis Perry? What's his ceiling at a program like UK you think?
Well he is only going into his junior year. I have not seen him play in person. I have just read about how impressive he was in the sweet 16. One of the offers that he has already gotten is from Creighton which is a very solid program, probably better than UK next year. I am of the program during the transition of Coach Rupp and Hall. I know it is a very different college basketball world than then. But in addition to to getting the All-Americans, they were both very keen on having kids on the team from Kentucky that COULD contribute. If you look back over the history of the program, there have been some very solid players who contributed to helping Kentucky win that were not top 10 players in America from the State. I just think if he finishes his junior year with a solid national ranking...he was 57th in the last ESPN 2024 ranking, you could do a lot worse than having a kid like him on the team. If there is no way he can contribute, don't offer him.

begok want 5 star runners, jumpers and certain 1 year college to nba players.

Shooters who MAKE 40% of 3s are best to seek action elsewhere, unless they fit that jumper, runner sure fire pro--as long as begok serves out playing time at UK.

rr

Reactions: deep3
Lots of things can change in 2 years, but right now he passes the smell test.
Give me a coaches son who can shoot it and pass it and I would make a place for him on my team.

In the last few years I have seen plenty of ATHLETIC UK guards get taken to the rim. Pretty much why I believe Cal should play zone at least 5 minutes a half. This kid looks like a shooter and a passer, I like that.
Yep. We could use some 3 star guys like Collin Gillespie in our backcourt rotation. Heady players who can pass and shoot. Perry appears to be one of those guys. Unless you want the Whitney Boston Askew athletic types.

Reactions: deep3
He's not in the conversation with Reed Sheppherd. His athleticism is lacking. If Dontaie Allen couldn't play here, Perry can't. As far as scoring histroy, this kid has already played as many games as Kelly did in his entire career. Perry will play in more than 170 games before he graduates; he's been playing varsity since 7th grade. Coleman scored his in 127 games. Big difference.
Yes I know all about King Kelly Coleman, and I figured since we signed a 3 star player today Perry might be just as good....

Yes I know all about King Kelly Coleman, and I figured since we signed a 3 star player today Perry might be just as good....
Well your post insinuated he was some sort of stud player by comparing him to Coleman. The kid has already played 4 years of HS basketball. you also said he was as good as Shepherd, which is patently false by every objective measure. As far as Thiero, he's nearly 6'6 and much more athletic, where Perry is MAYBE 6'2.

Well he is only going into his junior year. I have not seen him play in person. I have just read about how impressive he was in the sweet 16. One of the offers that he has already gotten is from Creighton which is a very solid program, probably better than UK next year. I am of the program during the transition of Coach Rupp and Hall. I know it is a very different college basketball world than then. But in addition to to getting the All-Americans, they were both very keen on having kids on the team from Kentucky that COULD contribute. If you look back over the history of the program, there have been some very solid players who contributed to helping Kentucky win that were not top 10 players in America from the State. I just think if he finishes his junior year with a solid national ranking...he was 57th in the last ESPN 2024 ranking, you could do a lot worse than having a kid like him on the team. If there is no way he can contribute, don't offer him.
Don't necessarily disagree, but in this day and time these kids stay 1-2 years and transfer.

13 scholarships. Shooter. Ball handler and adept passer. 6 2. High bball IQ.
Great teams are made by meshing different skill sets. Chemistry. Loyalty and trust. There’s plenty room for him if he continues to develop.
Not every player has to be a 6 6 or taller athlete. So short sighted to think that way.

13 scholarships. Shooter. Ball handler and adept passer. 6 2. High bball IQ.
Great teams are made by meshing different skill sets. Chemistry. Loyalty and trust. There’s plenty room for him if he continues to develop.
Not every player has to be a 6 6 or taller athlete. So short sighted to think that way.
He can come, but he'd never play. Can't guard athletic players. Can't get his own shot against athletic players. Can't get by athletic dudes. He's just a good HS player. Not sure what makes you think he'd be good for "chemistry"; he might be, but you have no way of knowing that. He'd make Devin Askew look like Russell Westbrook.

Saw him in the state tournament. He struggles against athleticism. Volume shooter.
Those are very big points RT. If correct, I think you just got straight to the heart of it in regard to how valuable he might be at high level Div. I. Is he playing this summer against high level competition (I thought he was, but I can't remember)? If so, then that ought to tell us more about your concerns.

Those are very big points RT. If correct, I think you just got straight to the heart of it in regard to how valuable he might be at high level Div. I. Is he playing this summer against high level competition (I thought he was, but I can't remember)? If so, then that ought to tell us more about your concerns.
No idea what he does in the summer. The talent is great in AAU but I haven't seen a commitment to defense yet. I saw the kid in 2 games at the state tournament. Point total was ok in both, but he didnt appear elite to me.

Reactions: G-PIP
He's either good enough to play here or he's not. Doesn't matter if he's from KY.

Perry's problem is uk can find one of several better point guards in his class or via the transfer portal.
This is a decent microcosm of this whole fcked up program. No critical thinking. No continuity. Just go get a "better" player... repeat x10000 🤡

Maybe he wouldn't abandon the team like a hooker who just realized your AmEx is maxed out.

The fact we've still got folks unwilling to concede our 10-13 schollies should go to KY kids who will stay 4 years is insane.

Guess what geniuses? By the time that kid is a junior/senior he may very well be a nasty player you do not want to have to deal with.

But muh starsssss...🙄

UK fans wanting the coach to recruit local players isn't a new thing. The debate is as old as Kentucky basketball. "It just means more" is great, but if you're not as good, you're not as good. Having a good spirit doesn't change that. Furthermore, you're assuming the kid wants to come here and ride the pine. This isn't your grandfather's college basketball. Kids can transfer at a whim. If the kid is good enough, he will get an offer. If he's not, he won't. That's the real world. It's not a charity.

Reactions: JDHoss
UK fans wanting the coach to recruit local players isn't a new thing. The debate is as old as Kentucky basketball. "It just means more" is great, but if you're not as good, you're not as good. Having a good spirit doesn't change that. Furthermore, you're assuming the kid wants to come here and ride the pine. This isn't your grandfather's college basketball. Kids can transfer at a whim. If the kid is good enough, he will get an offer. If he's not, he won't. That's the real world. It's not a charity.
Sharpe came here with the intent of riding the pine.

At this point UK fans would settle for Cal recruiting kids who are willing to actually play.

This is a decent microcosm of this whole fcked up program. No critical thinking. No continuity. Just go get a "better" player... repeat x10000 🤡

Maybe he wouldn't abandon the team like a hooker who just realized your AmEx is maxed out.

The fact we've still got folks unwilling to concede our 10-13 schollies should go to KY kids who will stay 4 years is insane.

Guess what geniuses? By the time that kid is a junior/senior he may very well be a nasty player you do not want to have to deal with.

But muh starsssss...🙄
So we're assuming that those 10-13 guys would be content to ride the bench for years? Everyone complaining about Cal not using all scholarships and only playing 7-8 guys seem to be ignoring the fact that most teams are doing the same thing. This isn't the 90s any more. Today's athletes are much more ME driven.

Plus look at the final four from this year. Every team had a rotation of no more than 7 dudes who played more than 10 min in the game.

Sharpe came here with the intent of riding the pine.

At this point UK fans would settle for Cal recruiting kids who are willing to actually play.
Then we should be happy if we got rid of both Sharpe and Allen, two players not willing to play last year. Everyone else returning from that roster has gone in when asked

Reactions: coachcombs57
Then we should be happy if we got rid of both Sharpe and Allen, two players not willing to play last year. Everyone else returning from that roster has gone in when asked
"Asked" LOL "Ahem, excuse me, Mr. Allen? Would you mind terribly going into the game at this time? No? Okay, whatever you want. Don't hurt me!"

Just shows the mentality of Cal, The Linguine Spined.

"Asked" LOL

Just shows the mentality of Cal, The Linguine Spined.
Told. However you want to put it. Once Allen refused to enter the game I would’ve told him to hit the road. Same with Sharpe.

Now when that happened at that point in the season, would it have affected the roster? No. Not one bit.

I’m of the belief that would not have healed Gradys plantar fasciitis either and we would be in the same boat anyways... but you have to do the right thing and kick both of them off the team.

He looks like a nice player but not UK caliber. In all these clips I've yet to see much athleticism. He looks like a nice shooter though. Nothing against the kid and I hope he has a nice career somewhere.

Also any comparison to reed in terms of potential is way off base. Reed has borderline elite athleticism and that makes a huge difference at this level
Do I need to remind people of Brad Calipari, Devin Askew, etc

Just amazes me all this athleticism and 5 star talk in this thread. Have we not seen some 5 star super athletic guys not work out at UK? I can promise you one thing, this 3 star unathletic kid from KY has played more defense than most of these 5 star superstars have played in high school.

Those McD fellas don't get recruited here to play defense.

Reactions: Kybluedude
"UK basketball is NOT a CHARITY"---unless begok has a 5star to be coddled and cared for and paid NIL---just to sit and chew his nails while hurt players participate.

yeah--NOT a Charity---so what does one call sharpe? a con man?

rr

Reactions: Catman100
He can come, but he'd never play. Can't guard athletic players. Can't get his own shot against athletic players. Can't get by athletic dudes. He's just a good HS player. Not sure what makes you think he'd be good for "chemistry"; he might be, but you have no way of knowing that. He'd make Devin Askew look like Russell Westbrook.
No offense but I’ll wait and see what the experts say in 2 years. Looks like IU likes him and like I said a great team is a blend of different skill sets.
Look at UK’s title teams and there are players on those teams that contributed a bunch without all those athletic skills you seem to want.
13 scholarships available .. we don’t have to have 13 John Walls. Anthony Epps was outstanding and couldn’t creat his own shot nor was he the fastest or best defensive player. Padgett. Mills has a place. Teague. On and on.
Too much emphasis on having only players with 5 star skills.
Guys like Colin Gillespie help make great teams.

"UK basketball is NOT a CHARITY"---unless begok has a 5star to be coddled and cared for and paid NIL---just to sit and chew his nails while hurt players participate.

yeah--NOT a Charity---so what does one call sharpe? a con man?

rr
Have you ever made a post that isn’t cringe? Whole a schtick is sus. Definitely on my possible UL fan radar.

• Haha
Reactions: blue woman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT