ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Any guesses of which current cats will enter it?
I’d say at least one TE and a DB, maybe a WR.

Loads of D. Probably one or two wr. TE is possible as there seems a log jam.

I'm curious about Gilmore from either perspective. If the staff rather play a guy out of position instead of playing you - hard to see you ever getting on the field. I think he took one snap all year, and it was a victory snap against UT-M. Can't imagine any of that's encouraging in terms of your future.

I'm curious about Gilmore from either perspective. If the staff rather play a guy out of position instead of playing you - hard to see you ever getting on the field. I think he took one snap all year, and it was a victory snap against UT-M. Can't imagine any of that's encouraging in terms of your future.
He's a freshman for crying out loud.

Reactions: JPFisher
If any do I think you are right. We are not a TE offense except for blocking. But if all a TE wants to do is block then he has the team to showcase that. Our TE's can block with the best of them.
That's VM's position...let's see how that plays out.

He's a freshman for crying out loud.

Who had another freshman already above him and now has an additional true freshman and probable grad transfer coming in.

If he can't see the field in a year where QBs 1-4 are injured, how's he ever gonna see it? Especially over the incoming guys

Reactions: MbergCat
Who had another freshman already above him and now has an additional true freshman and probable grad transfer coming in.

If he can't see the field in a year where QBs 1-4 are injured, how's he ever gonna see it? Especially over the incoming guys
I believe Gilmore hand the mindset coming in that he would need to develop and maybe get a shot junior or senior year. I don't think the coaches pitched him that he would get playing time early on. Just depends if he is patient to get his shot.

If any do I think you are right. We are not a TE offense except for blocking. But if all a TE wants to do is block then he has the team to showcase that. Our TE's can block with the best of them.

I would encourage this line of thought to look at the first few games of the season for our TEs when we had Terry and Sawyer was healthy. I also disagree that we have a logjam at TE. I know that the staff is not recruiting one this year and that will leave us with 4 scholly TEs.

1. Our TE had some really nice receiving games with Terry/Sawyer...and I personally think K. Upshaw will be next year's version of Wagner as a total mismatch for LB/Safeties and breakout player on offense to work the middle of the field. So I think Riggs, Upshaw with Bates and Ognenovic is fine. The top 2 guys are going to play a ton and the bottom 2 guys might just wait their turn when Riggs graduates.

2. If UK gets Gatewood at QB in this recruiting class....I'd think 1-2 current QBs will transfer. You cant' have 7 QBs on roster.
3. The other spots I see some transfer/attrition to occur are:
- CB...if Kelvin Joseph takes a spot in spring opposite Echols there are some CB that won't play again in 2020 much.
- WR....especially the guys that don't project at the slot WR. UK just isn't going to throw it 40 times a game much and with kids like Cummings, etc...coming. I wonder in spring if some So/Jr WR aren't getting on the depth chart...that is just a bunch of guys for only 2 spots essentially.

If we drop 4-5 transfers, then we should be able to get a 22 man class of recruits.

"probable grad transfer coming in"

First I've heard anything re a probably grad transfer. Is this just speculation due to TW's injury or do you know something else?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
"probable grad transfer coming in"

First I've heard anything re a probably grad transfer. Is this just speculation due to TW's injury or do you know something else?

You're right I meant transfer. Not sure why I labeled it as grad transfer. Thanks for pointing that out

I think you are reading too much into that, they were saving his red shirt which is the right move....

Call me crazy, I see AJ Rose leaving. C rod and smoke ate into his carries, and it’ll just get worse with all the young talent we have. Maybe go to a place you’ll be the clear #1 and rack up some highlights for a chance at the nfl.

With QBs, they all think they should be starting except maybe SS. If Gatewood comes, Scalzo and Gilmore will have to make a decision after spring ball if they are both behind him then.

Call me crazy, I see AJ Rose leaving. C rod and smoke ate into his carries, and it’ll just get worse with all the young talent we have. Maybe go to a place you’ll be the clear #1 and rack up some highlights for a chance at the nfl.

I have mentioned this as a question. I would suspect that Rose could grad transfer. I know Stoops is high on loyalty and seniors, but the RB stable should be awesome next season.

I don't particularly like speculating about specific players that may be looking to transfer. But we are likely going to need some QBs to move on, especially if we bring in Gatewoood. I was bored so I put together the list of our most likely returning players. I didn't put Lynn Bowden on here, and it is also very likely that Bohana will declare for the NFL.

You almost always have one WR/DB/LB/OL transfer after getting buried on the depth chart. So long as we don't have more than one out of each position leave then we should be fine. It is amazing how well Stoops and the staff have built a deep roster. We had four 4* recruits and kept the RS on all of them.

QBs (6):
Terry Wilson (jr)
Sawyer Smith (jr)
Walker Wood (so)
Amani Gilmore (fr)
Nik Scalzo (fr)
Beau Allen (HS)

RBs (6):
AJ Rose (jr)
Kavosiey Smoke (RS fr)
Chris Rodriguez (RS fr)
Travis Tisdale (RS)
Jutahn McClain (HS)
Torrance Davis (HS)

WRs (12):
Josh Ali (jr)
Isaiah Epps (jr)
Clevan Thomas (so)
Allen Dailey (so)
Akeem Hayes (RS fr)
BJ Alexander (RS fr)
Bryce Oliver (RS fr)
Tae Tae Crumes (fr)
Demarcus Harris (fr)
Kalil Branham (HS)
Earnest Sanders (HS)
Izayah Cummings (HS)

TEs (4):
Justin Rigg (jr)
Keaton Upsaw (RS fr)
Brendan Bates (RS fr)
Nik Ognenovic (RS)

OL (14):
Landon Young (jr)
Drake Jackson (jr)
Luke Fortner (jr)
Naasir Watikins (so)
Darian Kinnard (so)
Austin Dotson (so)
Nick Lewis (RS fr)
Quintin Wilson (RS fr)
Kenneth Horsey (RS fr)
Eli Cox (fr)
Jake Pope (fr)
John Young (HS)
Joshua Jones (HS)
Deondre Buford (HS)

STs (3):
Max Duffy (so)
Chance Poore (fr)
Matt Ruffolo (jr)

DBs (15):
Davonte Robinson (jr)
Tyrell Ajian (so)
Yusuf Corker (so)
Brandin Echols (jr)
Quandre Mosley (jr)
Kelvin Joseph (so)
Cedrick Dort (so)
Jamari Brown (RS fr)
Jalen Geiger (fr)
Taj Dodson (fr)
Moses Douglass (fr)
MJ Devonshire (fr)
Rickey Hyatt (HS)
Andru Phillips (HS)
Carrington Valentine (HS)

LBs (13):
Boogie Watson (jr)
Deandre Square (so)
Chris Oats (so)
Jordan Wright (so)
Jamin Davis (so)
Marquez Bembry (so)
Alex King (so)
Xavier Peters (fr)
Jared Casey (fr)
JJ Weaver (fr)
KD McDaniel (fr)
Tra Wilkins (fr)
D'Eryk Jackson (HS)

D-line (12):
Quintin Bohanna (jr)
Kordell Looney (jr)
Marquan McCall (so)
Josh Paschal (so)
Abule Abadi-Fitzgerald (RS fr)
Davoan Hawkins (RS fr)
Jerquavion Mahone (RS fr)
Cavon Butler (fr)
Isaiah Gibson (fr)
Justin Rogers (HS)
Trevonn Rybka (HS)
Samuel Anaele (HS)

Don't agree re TEs. Rigg/Schlegal will be srs. That just leaves 3 and since UK under Stoops frequently plays 2 TE sets that leaves adequate PT for all.

There was only one game in the last 7 where he could have gotten in and he did- could he have played more that game sure, but predicting his demise based off of not playing at all during a red shirt season is a little premature. If you chose to think he is leaving or it is a bad sign, so be it but there are a lot of other freshmen who didn't get into any games and just because you can play in 4 games doesn't mean you will or you should. Give the kid time to develop

Don't agree re TEs. Rigg/Schlegal will be srs. That just leaves 3 and since UK under Stoops frequently plays 2 TE sets that leaves adequate PT for all.

I agree which is why I said possible. All depends on their expectations of their role here

1. Our TE had some really nice receiving games with Terry/Sawyer...and I personally think K. Upshaw will be next year's version of Wagner as a total mismatch for LB/Safeties and breakout player on offense to work the middle of the field. So I think Riggs, Upshaw with Bates and Ognenovic is fine. The top 2 guys are going to play a ton and the bottom 2 guys might just wait their turn when Riggs graduates.

2. If UK gets Gatewood at QB in this recruiting class....I'd think 1-2 current QBs will transfer. You cant' have 7 QBs on roster.
3. The other spots I see some transfer/attrition to occur are:
- CB...if Kelvin Joseph takes a spot in spring opposite Echols there are some CB that won't play again in 2020 much.
- WR....especially the guys that don't project at the slot WR. UK just isn't going to throw it 40 times a game much and with kids like Cummings, etc...coming. I wonder in spring if some So/Jr WR aren't getting on the depth chart...that is just a bunch of guys for only 2 spots essentially.

If we drop 4-5 transfers, then we should be able to get a 22 man class of recruits.
but Gatewood would be sitting out...Wood still won't be playable...Scalzo will get hurt again...who knows about SS...so that only leaves TW, Allen and Gilmore to play.
and Bowden ain't walking through that door

but Gatewood would be sitting out...Wood still won't be playable...Scalzo will get hurt again...who knows about SS...so that only leaves TW, Allen and Gilmore to play.
:thumbsdown:

You're assuming a lot of negatives. But then, you know happens when you assume.......

Yeah, you did assume. So, I assume you'll have a Merry Christmas.
no, I did not...
But I do ascertain that your assumption of me assuming is wrong, however, I also assume someone pissed in your Wheaties this morning

1. You're assuming for 2nd year in a row Terry Wilson, Sawyer and Scalzo will get hurt next year...which could happen but isn't likely (under Stoops in 7 years we've had Barker get hurt early in year 4, Stephen Johnson got nicked a bit and missed plays in year 5, and year 7 we had Wilson/Sawyer go down). So I'd argue having two QBs ready to go is about all you can ask.
2. Again, you're assuming Scalzo gets hurt again...which might happen but he could be fine.
3. I'd hope Gilmore could at least play next year but he's a mystery man to me of why he was far down in development that he wasn't considered to play.
4. Walker is a nice story...but I wasn't a fan of offering him 3 years ago and to be honest...if we have to role with Walker then the season is a mess IMO.
5. I'd be fine if Beau Allen had to play next year but hoping we can RS and compete for a wide open starting spot after Sawyer/Terry Wilson leave in 2021.

Again, I don't want to name names...but I'd be fine if we had 1-2 QBs transfer this year to add room for others we hope to get in 2020 class.

Reactions: Dncmaxwell
Looks like we have a lber in the portal now. I'm guessing we'll see a few more based on recruiting feedback

Tra Wilkins in the transfer portal. He played against UT-Martin, and recorded 3 tackles. But was seemingly the furthest behind in the LBing group.

I could see Nick Scalzo transferring. I just think hes too small to ever play high level d-1 football. Hes a very good athlete, but I just think he is a mid major qb. Good kid and comes from a good family so I hope he stays. I would just be surprised if her ever played here.

I think AJ probably played more than Smoke against Louisville

Realistically there are anywhere from 5-7 players in each class that don’t pan out. It’s part of it. I wish we could keep all of them but they all have to chase their dream. Best of luck to Trai. I hope he goes somewhere and tears it up.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Crazy. Just one season left.

I could see Nick Scalzo transferring. I just think hes too small to ever play high level d-1 football. Hes a very good athlete, but I just think he is a mid major qb. Good kid and comes from a good family so I hope he stays. I would just be surprised if her ever played here.

It would surprise me that after Stoops and Gran praises his pre-injury play and had him taking 2nd and 3rd string snaps in fall camp that he would leave.

Crazy. Just one season left.
That's why he could grad-transfer.

There could be lots of schools looking for a featured RB. And Rose might decide he has one year to impress NFL scouts and look around for a school without a featured back.

Reactions: calismyhero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT