ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

That's why he could grad-transfer.

There could be lots of schools looking for a featured RB. And Rose might decide he has one year to impress NFL scouts and look around for a school without a featured back.

Not attacking him but for the good of him, he should strongly consider it. None of us are experts but the guys we have in Smoke and Rodriquez, throw in Tisdale and the dudes we’ve signed this year, we are in great shape in the RB position.

Where could AJR go that would be better than UK at this time. He's going to get his touches.
Lots of places. I would have to sit down and look at specific rosters to give the best answer. But there are lots of schools in the west that could use him plenty of Pac-12 schools, Boise State, or BYU.

I could see Nick Scalzo transferring. I just think hes too small to ever play high level d-1 football. Hes a very good athlete, but I just think he is a mid major qb. Good kid and comes from a good family so I hope he stays. I would just be surprised if her ever played here.

Regardless of how many times folks use Drew Brees or Russell Wilson in a sentence, the truth still remains that shorter QBs are at a disadvantage that has to be overcome some how in order to succeed at this level. Who knows, Scalzo could become the starter or even all SEC someday but the odds are greatly against it, and now that he has chronic injury history it makes it tougher on the coaches to roll with him. The way we use QBs you have to be physically stout to stand up to all the contact.

I agree as a former 5-10 athlete its tough being small.. you better have some extreme wheels. There are always exceptions to the rule but mostly its true.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I could see Nick Scalzo transferring. I just think hes too small to ever play high level d-1 football. Hes a very good athlete, but I just think he is a mid major qb. Good kid and comes from a good family so I hope he stays. I would just be surprised if her ever played here.

Drew Brees. Doug Flutie. Kyler Murray, Russel Wilson....................lol

We've not seen Scalzo yet, so I think he gets a pass at this point. Gilmore and Wood couldn't be used when we had no QB = they should both transfer, as they will NOT play at UK.

I don't particularly like speculating about specific players that may be looking to transfer. But we are likely going to need some QBs to move on, especially if we bring in Gatewoood. I was bored so I put together the list of our most likely returning players. I didn't put Lynn Bowden on here, and it is also very likely that Bohana will declare for the NFL.

You almost always have one WR/DB/LB/OL transfer after getting buried on the depth chart. So long as we don't have more than one out of each position leave then we should be fine. It is amazing how well Stoops and the staff have built a deep roster. We had four 4* recruits and kept the RS on all of them.

QBs (6):
Terry Wilson (jr)
Sawyer Smith (jr)
Walker Wood (so)
Amani Gilmore (fr)
Nik Scalzo (fr)
Beau Allen (HS)

RBs (6):
AJ Rose (jr)
Kavosiey Smoke (RS fr)
Chris Rodriguez (RS fr)
Travis Tisdale (RS)
Jutahn McClain (HS)
Torrance Davis (HS)

WRs (12):
Josh Ali (jr)
Isaiah Epps (jr)
Clevan Thomas (so)
Allen Dailey (so)
Akeem Hayes (RS fr)
BJ Alexander (RS fr)
Bryce Oliver (RS fr)
Tae Tae Crumes (fr)
Demarcus Harris (fr)
Kalil Branham (HS)
Earnest Sanders (HS)
Izayah Cummings (HS)

TEs (4):
Justin Rigg (jr)
Keaton Upsaw (RS fr)
Brendan Bates (RS fr)
Nik Ognenovic (RS)

OL (14):
Landon Young (jr)
Drake Jackson (jr)
Luke Fortner (jr)
Naasir Watikins (so)
Darian Kinnard (so)
Austin Dotson (so)
Nick Lewis (RS fr)
Quintin Wilson (RS fr)
Kenneth Horsey (RS fr)
Eli Cox (fr)
Jake Pope (fr)
John Young (HS)
Joshua Jones (HS)
Deondre Buford (HS)

STs (3):
Max Duffy (so)
Chance Poore (fr)
Matt Ruffolo (jr)

DBs (15):
Davonte Robinson (jr)
Tyrell Ajian (so)
Yusuf Corker (so)
Brandin Echols (jr)
Quandre Mosley (jr)
Kelvin Joseph (so)
Cedrick Dort (so)
Jamari Brown (RS fr)
Jalen Geiger (fr)
Taj Dodson (fr)
Moses Douglass (fr)
MJ Devonshire (fr)
Rickey Hyatt (HS)
Andru Phillips (HS)
Carrington Valentine (HS)

LBs (13):
Boogie Watson (jr)
Deandre Square (so)
Chris Oats (so)
Jordan Wright (so)
Jamin Davis (so)
Marquez Bembry (so)
Alex King (so)
Xavier Peters (fr)
Jared Casey (fr)
JJ Weaver (fr)
KD McDaniel (fr)
Tra Wilkins (fr)
D'Eryk Jackson (HS)

D-line (12):
Quintin Bohanna (jr)
Kordell Looney (jr)
Marquan McCall (so)
Josh Paschal (so)
Abule Abadi-Fitzgerald (RS fr)
Davoan Hawkins (RS fr)
Jerquavion Mahone (RS fr)
Cavon Butler (fr)
Isaiah Gibson (fr)
Justin Rogers (HS)
Trevonn Rybka (HS)
Samuel Anaele (HS)

According to Roster on his site, Wilson is a Junior, and Smith is a Senior, meaning he is gone and not part of team next season. Personally, I thought he had 2 years left when he got here.

Regardless of how many times folks use Drew Brees or Russell Wilson in a sentence, the truth still remains that shorter QBs are at a disadvantage that has to be overcome some how in order to succeed at this level. Who knows, Scalzo could become the starter or even all SEC someday but the odds are greatly against it, and now that he has chronic injury history it makes it tougher on the coaches to roll with him. The way we use QBs you have to be physically stout to stand up to all the contact.

Size is really not an indicator of QB performance. Posters here lose sight of the fact that all the names being put forth are NFL greats, and we don't even provide a full listing of that, leaving Fran Tarkenton, Jim Mcmahan, Michael Vick, Sonny Jorgenson, Dave Kreig, Jim Zorn. etc. and on and on and on off that list.....Get into the college ranks of great college QB's and that list grows exponentially = you folks don't really want to go there. Fact of the matter is at the college level, effectiveness of a QB is least determined by their Height.................Scalzo's height is a NON-factor here, period. Coaches at UK would be well served to re-evaluate their evaluation criteria, so they put PASSING ability as THE number one criteria. Even in our run-heavy scheme, if you don't possess a true threat of the CONSISTENT pass, you first off are not going to win the big games, and secondly, you'll lose to teams that can stop the run, which is those that typicaly are playing for championships........Sound familiar? ; )

Size is really not an indicator of QB performance. Posters here lose sight of the fact that all the names being put forth are NFL greats, and we don't even provide a full listing of that, leaving Fran Tarkenton, Jim Mcmahan, Michael Vick, Sonny Jorgenson, Dave Kreig, Jim Zorn. etc. and on and on and on off that list.....Get into the college ranks of great college QB's and that list grows exponentially = you folks don't really want to go there. Fact of the matter is at the college level, effectiveness of a QB is least determined by their Height.................Scalzo's height is a NON-factor here, period. Coaches at UK would be well served to re-evaluate their evaluation criteria, so they put PASSING ability as THE number one criteria. Even in our run-heavy scheme, if you don't possess a true threat of the CONSISTENT pass, you first off are not going to win the big games, and secondly, you'll lose to teams that can stop the run, which is those that typicaly are playing for championships........Sound familiar? ; )
Who let 84Alumni back? LOL

With QBs, they all think they should be starting except maybe SS. If Gatewood comes, Scalzo and Gilmore will have to make a decision after spring ball if they are both behind him then.
Could Scalzo get a medical and redshirt year?

According to Roster on his site, Wilson is a Junior, and Smith is a Senior, meaning he is gone and not part of team next season. Personally, I thought he had 2 years left when he got here.

I think Smith has one more year of eligibility. He RSed at Troy, played two years, and then transferred as a grad transfer with 2 years to play.

I think in the pros it takes a very special person at that size to succeed but in college there are QBs that size that are productive and have very good college careers every year. Night and day differences in pros and college games.

Reactions: THE_OAK
I agree as a former 5-10 athlete its tough being small.. you better have some extreme wheels. There are always exceptions to the rule but mostly its true.
Agree about the wheels but there are some guys who are so quick they become nearly invisible.

It was my understanding that the medical redshirt had to come in after using a normal redshirt. I may be wrong, so don't hold me to that. Thankfully I didn't have to do that crazy process.
Generally speaking, it takes two medical RS years to get 6th season. Non-medical RS is voluntary & gets you no consideration for 6th year.

Reactions: zcats
I think in the pros it takes a very special person at that size to succeed but in college there are QBs that size that are productive and have very good college careers every year. Night and day differences in pros and college games.

My reaction to that is the issue is primarily the one of vision. Short QBs can't see over the taller linemen without making some sort of adjustments. Are college lineman really that much shorter, if any than pros? I would think at the upper levels of P5 teams there would not be much of any difference.

My reaction to that is the issue is primarily the one of vision. Short QBs can't see over the taller linemen without making some sort of adjustments. Are college lineman really that much shorter, if any than pros? I would think at the upper levels of P5 teams there would not be much of any difference.

I would say that QB college play is different then the pros. The plays some college QBs make would never work in the pros over and over. And the scrambling that college QBs do is way greater then the pros since team owners probably don’t want to see their QBs injured all the time. :)

Generally speaking, it takes two medical RS years to get 6th season. Non-medical RS is voluntary & gets you no consideration for 6th year.
Per a recent change in the guidelines, a redshirt taken in a player's first year is now considered "beyond a player's control". Thus a player who is redshirted his first year and misses a later year due to a medical could get a sixth year.

Last edited:
Per a recent change in the guidelines, a redshirt taken in a player's first year is now considered "beyond a player's control". Thus a player who is redshirted his first year and misses a later year due to a medical could get a fifth year.
NCAA's website supports what you said. Just want to say that's a really good catch on your part

Link for those interested

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=21670

1. Our TE had some really nice receiving games with Terry/Sawyer...and I personally think K. Upshaw will be next year's version of Wagner as a total mismatch for LB/Safeties and breakout player on offense to work the middle of the field. So I think Riggs, Upshaw with Bates and Ognenovic is fine. The top 2 guys are going to play a ton and the bottom 2 guys might just wait their turn when Riggs graduates.

2. If UK gets Gatewood at QB in this recruiting class....I'd think 1-2 current QBs will transfer. You cant' have 7 QBs on roster.
3. The other spots I see some transfer/attrition to occur are:
- CB...if Kelvin Joseph takes a spot in spring opposite Echols there are some CB that won't play again in 2020 much.
- WR....especially the guys that don't project at the slot WR. UK just isn't going to throw it 40 times a game much and with kids like Cummings, etc...coming. I wonder in spring if some So/Jr WR aren't getting on the depth chart...that is just a bunch of guys for only 2 spots essentially.

If we drop 4-5 transfers, then we should be able to get a 22 man class of recruits.
I don’t think any QB’s enter the portal this year outside if maybe Gilmore, Gatewood may not be a factor until 2021. Next year is still a bit up in the air depending on if TW has any setbacks and if Gatewood doesn’t get his waiver.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Exactly. U6 has been tampering. I'm glad the Weaver family was smarter.
Somebody that would know has told me the Louisville kids are under constant , intense pressure to transfer to U6 . There is always someone in there ear and sending texts . Mostly " homeboys" from their community but also some people with connections to their program . The U6 coaches are using " back channels" and not contacting the players directly , but they are encouraging it .

Somebody that would know has told me the Louisville kids are under constant , intense pressure to transfer to U6 . There is always someone in there ear and sending texts . Mostly " homeboys" from their community but also some people with connections to their program . The U6 coaches are using " back channels" and not contacting the players directly , but they are encouraging it .
It's the use of what some call "street agents." Should be investigated and the U6s/Miamis of the world, where this stuff started, should be prohibited from these activities and required to disassociate from the universities.

Reactions: yoshukai
ADVERTISEMENT