ADVERTISEMENT

*** Transfer portal tracker ***

This is not me saying that Haydn McGeary is going to make the big leagues, but Bligh Madris played three years at Colorado Mesa and was drafted in the 9th round in 2017. He got called up to the Pirates today. He's coming from a very good Division II program that's produced several draft picks over the past 10 years.

Reactions: parrott
UK projects Waldschmidt at CF, or will he basically just play anywhere? I'm looking through some of his games from 2022 and he's been at 3B, CF, and DH.

A little less than a month to go until the MLB draft. Baseball America expanded its rankings to 500 today. Here's where UK's signees/players rank:

71 - RHP Caden Dana
115 - SS Ryan Ritter
230 - OF Tommy Specht
307 - IF Chase Estep
470 - RHP Logan Martin
Love to see them all here next year but with Dana and Ritter I can see them going.

One intriguing name that went into the portal today is Eastern Kentucky University outfielder Kendall Ewell. Was a draft pick out of high school late by the Rockies, ranked No. 210 on Perfect Game and hit .361/.482./.607 in his second full season at EKU. He's ranked near the 500 mark on Prospects Live draft board but didn't see him on Baseball America. I think he's someone worth pursuing.

One intriguing name that went into the portal today is Eastern Kentucky University outfielder Kendall Ewell. Was a draft pick out of high school late by the Rockies, ranked No. 210 on Perfect Game and hit .361/.482./.607 in his second full season at EKU. He's ranked near the 500 mark on Prospects Live draft board but didn't see him on Baseball America. I think he's someone worth pursuing.
You would think the coaching staff would be all over this one. Hope we can get him.

Reactions: SeanCain
UK has been in contact. Hope to convince him year in SEC will boost stock even more, but he wants to sign if it makes sense. Still has leverage.

UK has been in contact. Hope to convince him year in SEC will boost stock even more, but he wants to sign if it makes sense. Still has leverage.
While I have no doubt he’d be a fine player for UK, the Cats need a MAJOR upgrade on the bump and it’s just not happening as of yet.

Reactions: Jeff12wb
While I have no doubt he’d be a fine player for UK, the Cats need a MAJOR upgrade on the bump and it’s just not happening as of yet.
I think they'd like to add someone else with starting experience, but pitching is also a spot that's going to be affected most by the draft. Most guys who are draft eligible will ultimately want to sign, but the circumstances are different in most cases. I think UK has to operate under the assumption that Bosma, Lee, Stupp, Dana, etc. will not be here, but that doesn't mean it's a lock at this point. Any four of those guys would compete for a weekend spot once again next year.

I think they'd like to add someone else with starting experience, but pitching is also a spot that's going to be affected most by the draft. Most guys who are draft eligible will ultimately want to sign, but the circumstances are different in most cases. I think UK has to operate under the assumption that Bosma, Lee, Stupp, Dana, etc. will not be here, but that doesn't mean it's a lock at this point. Any four of those guys would compete for a weekend spot once again next year.

I really didn't expect Lee or Stupp to be on that cusp. That is pretty surprising to me.

Have you heard anything else about potential transfers visiting this week?

I really didn't expect Lee or Stupp to be on that cusp. That is pretty surprising to me.
Stupp isn’t going to be healthy for a bit so it would be drafting on potential, which some teams simply won’t do. Lee has some stuff going on outside baseball and may be looking at how things go after the game is over for him. But he still has a lot of talent so…

Stupp isn’t going to be healthy for a bit so it would be drafting on potential, which some teams simply won’t do. Lee has some stuff going on outside baseball and may be looking at how things go after the game is over for him. But he still has a lot of talent so…

Yea, Stupp being injured pulled him off of it to me. Lee showed some improvement. Still, a lot of players are in strange positions at this point because of age and just the general atmosphere of baseball due to Covid.

Well, LSU is having itself an afternoon. Per Kendall Rogers, the Tigers have landed NC State first baseman Tommy White and Vanderbilt RHP Christian Little. Two of the best players in the portal.

Well, LSU is having itself an afternoon. Per Kendall Rogers, the Tigers have landed NC State first baseman Tommy White and Vanderbilt RHP Christian Little. Two of the best players in the portal.

Daaang. Tommy White had 27 home runs as a freshy. I do not want to see him.

Looks like he had a 5.44 ERA with 61 strikeouts and 33 walks in 51 innings pitched.

He dominated OOC competition. Had 22 or so innings in conference and gave up 23 earned runs, a 9.44 ERA. Just a freshman though, and they often make big jumps between freshman and sophomore years. That's a large chunk of experience, 5 starts, for a freshman.

LSU got richer with Vandys Carter Young transferring to the Tigers. Young started 3 years at Vandy.

LSU also landed the Minn Twins pitching coach to fill the same role for them. He left the Twins immediately...Big offseason.

LSU also landed the Minn Twins pitching coach to fill the same role for them. He left the Twins immediately...Big offseason.

Which is wild. Wes Johnson has been a pitching coach at a few stops, including Dallas Baptist and Arkansas before heading into the pro ranks. I guess it is a huge testament to his abilities that he went from coaching Arkansas pitching to being the Twins pitching coach. Still, LSU bought him back into the collegiate ranks despite the fact that he has no ties to the school.

Which is wild. Wes Johnson has been a pitching coach at a few stops, including Dallas Baptist and Arkansas before heading into the pro ranks. I guess it is a huge testament to his abilities that he went from coaching Arkansas pitching to being the Twins pitching coach. Still, LSU bought him back into the collegiate ranks despite the fact that he has no ties to the school.
MLB Network guys were speaking like you may start to see it happen more often because of the demands of the MLB position coaches...but I doubt they were considering the lack of college paid positions for coaches.

But it was wild to see an MLB coach leave mid season for college from his own decision.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
MLB Network guys were speaking like you may start to see it happen more often because of the demands of the MLB position coaches...but I doubt they were considering the lack of college paid positions for coaches.

But it was wild to see an MLB coach leave mid season for college from his own decision.
Little bit of smoke out there about expanding college baseball coaching staffs. Definitely need to expand scholarships.

I guess it is good to note/point out that Friday (IIRC) is the last day for players to enter the transfer portal.

Reactions: MAYHOO22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT