ADVERTISEMENT

Transcripts. We talkin bout TRANSCRIPTS man…

Wonky

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
You got guys at UNCheat making the ****ing Dean’s List without ever going to class or picking up a pencil, and we are honestly talking about academic eligibility as a reason for potentially missing out on a player?

I am a UK alum so I don’t take the academic side lightly…. but come on. Tell the NCAA to shove this double standard already.

If players are permitted to come and stay for only one year, why care if they go to class at all? It is all a sham so it is time to call it and treat it for what it is. It is anything but a team of student athletes. The real students are mostly walk-ons who are getting nothing for their troubles. Not only do they not get NIL money, but they also don't get a subsidized or free education.

Always seems like we have so many people and so much stuff working against us. If it's not the coach it's the money. If it's not the money it's the academics. If it's not the academics it's the playing time.
Some of you guys need to develop patience. It isn't going to happen over night but things will eventually be much better than it was.

Reactions: ib4ky
When was the last time the NCAA sanctioned anyone for anything related to academics? Seem like it’s been forever. As noted, even when UNC dared them by effectively creating an entire fake academic department, the NCAA still refused to do anything about it.

So, yeah, schools might as well cheat away when it comes to that stuff. The NCAA has clearly shown it does not care at all …as long as the money keeps flowing in.

If players are permitted to come and stay for only one year, why care if they go to class at all? It is all a sham so it is time to call it and treat it for what it is. It is anything but a team of student athletes. The real students are mostly walk-ons who are getting nothing for their troubles. Not only do they not get NIL money, but they also don't get a subsidized or free education.
Because universities have academic standards not only for public perception and critical professional perception, but also for accreditation. Don't you think the quality of a UNC degree maybe dropped a tiny bit in the eyes of employers and professionals when it was revealed that their academic rigor for certain portions of the student body was a complete joke? I know it was the butt of jokes in STEM departments in several Kentucky universities for a few years afterwards.

We've grown accustomed to being an NBA factory and historically, a winner, but at the end of the day, we are still the flagship university of OUR Commonwealth. I don't want to sacrifice the image of our school for a couple players here or there. They can transfer in or they can't.

That said, I do feel like admissions can be dense and should've handled the Big Z situation better. I'll concede that point all day long.

JMO.

When was the last time the NCAA sanctioned anyone for anything related to academics? Seem like it’s been forever. As noted, even when UNC dared them by effectively creating an entire fake academic department, the NCAA still refused to do anything about it.

So, yeah, schools might as well cheat away when it comes to that stuff. The NCAA has clearly shown it does not care at all. …as long as the money keeps flowing in.
IMO it's not the NCAA that could be an issue, but UK's admissions department. We have seen how much "help" they have been lately. Still think it could be worked out however.

Have him knock out some online classes through BCTC to level up and get his rear in a denim uni (yes, I am aware it is more complicated than that....but perhaps shouldn't be since this is now pro sports)!

Well when you realize that universities are universities first and not basketball programs first it makes sense.

The problem with this line of thinking is that UNC is perceived as a much stronger academic institution than UK, and the academic fraud scandal did zilch to alter that perception nationally. UNC did not lose their accreditation or anything even close. There were no repercussions for the athletic department or the school as a whole.

My point is, let’s drop this facade of academic integrity in college sports. The governing body has proven through their own actions (or, more accurately, by their inaction) that it is just that: a facade. If Dr. Capiluto and/or Barnhart are trying to hold UK up as having more academic integrity than UNC, then UK basketball will go nowhere fast. The NCAA refused to level the playing field, so it’s up to the individual institutions to level it. And if you aren’t going to, then you might as well not even bother competing.

Potentially losing out on Deivon Smith due to a transcript issue.

Shouldn't surprise anyone. We lost half a season of big z because he wasnt from a nation on an arbitrary English exemption list and he wasn't deemed English proficient despite being able to speak English very well. I remember after hearing those obstacles, I expected him to need a translator or something. Nope dude spoke flawless English.

So if the school threw up that roadblock, nothing surprises me.

Where the hell is top button Mitch during all this? If he finally took off the nil gloves to get into modern sports, this bs admissions nonsense needs to change too.

Reactions: K_TIME and Wonky
The problem with this line of thinking is that UNC is perceived as a much stronger academic institution than UK, and the academic fraud scandal did zilch to alter that perception nationally. UNC did not lose their accreditation or anything even close. There were no repercussions for the athletic department or the school as a whole.

My point is, let’s drop this facade of academic integrity in college sports. The governing body has proven through their own actions (or, more accurately, by their inaction) that it is just that: a facade. If Dr. Capiluto and/or Barnhart are trying to hold UK up as having more academic integrity than UNC, then UK basketball will go nowhere fast. The NCAA refused to level the playing field, so it’s up to the individual institutions to level it. And if you aren’t going to, then you might as well not even bother competing.
This is unfortunately true, and the reason is because the public now understands that basketball and football players at these schools ain't legit students. So who cares what they're doing?

UNC is perceived as a much stronger academic institution than UK because their programs that serious students enroll in are much higher ranked than ours. Nobody takes seriously the bogus "jock" tracks used to keep star athletes eligible, so people don't see that as detracting from school’s status.

And I agree with you. Ideally I wish we’d all just drop the phony facade, and the NCAA finally admit that this is really pro sports, and that these are really just University sponsored professional teams disconnected from the Uni’s academic side. But I don’t think they’re yet ready for that kind of honesty.

Last edited:
What are you going on about?
UK won’t accept Devion Smith’s credits from Utah, so if he came here he would be academically ineligible to play.

Smith doesn’t have bad grades, it’s just that UK won’t accept the credits into whatever program his major would be at UK.

So the best PG in the portal couldn’t play here even if he wanted to.

I’m so sick of UK administration holding the basketball program back, there’s been at least one administration issue every year for 4ish years in a row now. Same thing has been happening to UK football too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT