ADVERTISEMENT

Trainwreck -Woodstock 99

JumperJack

All-American
Oct 30, 2002
Anybody watched this on Netflix? Or, were any of you there?

Edit- saw this was already talked about in gyero.

I'm enjoying it. I remember the event and the problems but didn't realize the extent. Definitely not '69. A lot of tits. The original is still a classic.

I just finished it. I remember it was bad at the time, but didn’t realize it was that much of a disaster.

That was my age group. Kid Rock and Limp Bizkit were extremely popular then. Yikes.

I’ve been wondering if it was just a drunken riot or if it portended that society was getting off kilter.

I knew about a lot of that stuff that happened. The one that got me was the van they rolled into the fat slim show. Found a passed out young female being raped and just pushed the van back out. Jesus man.

Lol yeah I was 16. Thought it was so great. Looking back at the lineup... Woof.
Just looked at the lineup. The entire Thursday was skippable.

Friday: I could've done the east stage, not all great but I could make it through these
  • Bush
  • Korn
  • The Offspring
  • DMX
  • Sheryl Crow
  • Live
  • Jamiroquai
Saturday: again some of the east stage
  • Metallica
  • Rage Against The Machine
  • Limp Bizkit
  • Kid Rock
Sunday:
East stage:
Red hot chili peppers
West stage:
  • Megadeth
  • Godsmack
  • Collective Soul
  • Ice Cube
  • Sevendust
For comparison Ozzfest 99:

Black Sabbath, Rob Zombie, Slayer, Deftones, Primus, Godsmack, System Of A Down, Static X, Slipknot,

Looked for a lollapalooza, looks like it was on hiatus then

I was 18 and in the same boat. I will definitely admit to having some questionable taste back in the day.

I still remember the day "Significant Other" came out. Drove down to Target to get it, and drove my truck around Owensboro all day just blaring it. Thought I was so bad ass listening to "N2gether now" with the windows rolled down. If I had a time machine the first thing I'd do is go back to high school and kick myself in the balls.

or when "Chocolate Starfish" came out during my senior year. Listened to that first song and thought it was so cool how many times they used the F word. Pretty sure Trent Reznor won that 'battle'

I'm enjoying it. I remember the event and the problems but didn't realize the extent. Definitely not '69. A lot of tits. The original is still a classic.

The funny thing is, at the time 1969 event didn't go very well (so many people showed up, they had to open up the gates and stop ticketing .. they didn't have enough food or water or medical supplies) and didn't have super huge acts (at the time). What made it iconic is a lot of the bands/acts went on to huge things. And the movie that came out after the fact helped it become a big deal.

I knew about a lot of that stuff that happened. The one that got me was the van they rolled into the fat slim show. Found a passed out young female being raped and just pushed the van back out. Jesus man.
This and when FatBoy said he was looking out into the crowd and all the people having sex. He remembers one wall where someone was leaning against the wall, hands up facing it, and there was a line of people waiting to have sex with said person. Absolutely disgusting.

Michael Lang sucked and good riddance to him. Scher wasnt any better. They were all money hungry assholes that thought they were important.

Reactions: UKGrad93
The most ludicrous quote of the movie for me was where Scher attempted to defend the number of rapes that occurred by saying something like "Woodstock was a city of 300,000 people and you would expect a similar number of rapes with that population." Woodstock was not a city, it was a concert. You do not go to a concert, festival, sporting event, etc. where large crowds gather expecting to be raped.

I watched the series and I'm left with the question about the woman that was interviewed that said she was 14 when she attended it. What kind of parents think it is ok to let their 14 y/o daughter go to a 3 day rock concert/campout?

Reactions: JumperJack
I watched the series and I'm left with the question about the woman that was interviewed that said she was 14 when she attended it. What kind of parents think it is ok to let their 14 y/o daughter go to a 3 day rock concert/campout?
It was the 90s. Generation X/early Millennials were basically feral. My family didn’t have a clue where I was or what I was doing 90% of the time. And if they did, they didn’t care.

It was the 90s. Generation X/early Millennials were basically feral. My family didn’t have a clue where I was or what I was doing 90% of the time. And if they did, they didn’t care.
You def lived in a different household than I did. If I was gone for any extended period of time my parents were all over my whereabouts. However, I get your point because I knew several who did whatever they wanted. What is scary is most of those "kids" at that event are now parents. We all did dumb stuff at that age but doubt raping women, burning property, etc. was on that list.

Bless that older lady who was riding around handing out trash bags and trying to stop people from damaging the art. She was the spirit of the original Woodstock and clearly had no idea just how douchey young people were in the late 90s.

I already knew most of what happened because I was glued to MTV that weekend. I remember the fires and the MTV crew practically calling it quits on air the final night. I don't think it was *one* thing like the guy who said greed though. That's the easy answer. When you're handing out "peace" security shirts to young, unqualified goobers and giving the massive crowd shit water to bathe in and drink, you're failing at this festival thing.

I also can't stress enough just how aggressive and entitled young males were in the late 90s. Thinking it was acceptable to break stuff because a tatted up guy in a backwards cap with a dad bod was shit rapping about being fed up and assuming it was alright to grab at a girl while she crowd surfed above you were real things. Jonathan Davis has always been pretty vocal calling out the "cop a feel" guys. And who knew the person coming out of this looking the best would be Gavin Rossdale. Seems like a good dude.

This is true. My parents used to tell be to go play and be home by dark. If my mom was out of town, pops just told me to be home before sunrise if it was summer. I was a latchkey kid who started staying home alone after school when I was 9. I’m pretty sure that’s illegal now. We used to get dropped off at malls as 12 year olds and picked up hours later, sometimes by someone’s older siblings.

As long as I came home alive, they didn’t care. Now, little darlings can’t get out of mommy’s sight without a major freak out.

Reactions: bbonds
Watching it now.. episode 2. I agree the show producers were the problem.. but also kind of eye rolled when the old lady was trying to blame them for the hot weather. I mean, that's how these festivals go. 250,000 people? It's on the venue goer to prepare for this, and take their own risks.

Everyone pointing fingers in this, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT