ADVERTISEMENT

Tough time to terminate Stoops

99firerock

Sophomore
Sep 4, 2015
Virginia
While termination and/or a change in course might be warranted. I don't think Barnhart would terminate Stoops a few days after Stoops mother passing away...

If the Pete Thammel news is accurate...

Never underestimates someone's willingness to sacrifice another to save themselves.

Barnhart has had a rough year. First Calipari. Then Stoops getting the program stripped of 10 wins and put on probation. Then the swim coach debacle, and now Stoops again tanking the season.

More than a few fans have been calling for Barhart's head for awhile now. He was hired to keep scandals away from the athletics department. Now his ass is on fire and his head is catching. A diverting move wouldn't surprise me in the least.

While termination and/or a change in course might be warranted. I don't think Barnhart would terminate Stoops a few days after Stoops mother passing away...

If the Pete Thammel news is accurate...
I haven’t seen any Pete Thamel “news” on this. If you look at his X account, some ky_update account tagged him as saying it, which it’s nowhere to be found that he did.

$44 million reasons why Mitch won't "terminate" him.

Coach Stoops is going to be our coach for at least 3 more seasons because of that HORRIBLE contract. He ain't walking away from that kind of money and there isn't ANY other school that will pay him what we do. Now, the ONLY way he isn't our coach next year is IF he is tired and wants to retire at a relatively young age like his brother Bob did.

From the way he has talked over the last year about NIL and how he has to worry about "85 Free Agents every year", he may be ready to quit, but I doubt it.

Never underestimates someone's willingness to sacrifice another to save themselves.

Barnhart has had a rough year. First Calipari. Then Stoops getting the program stripped of 10 wins and put on probation. Then the swim coach debacle, and now Stoops again tanking the season.

More than a few fans have been calling for Barhart's head for awhile now. He was hired to keep scandals away from the athletics department. Now his ass is on fire and his head is catching. A diverting move wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Barnhart isn't going anywhere. I get the want for the big 2 sports and its what most ppl care about, me included (which is funny tho when ppl say "well they make all the money" as an argument, bc those are usually the ppl that say they hate money in college sports), but his title is athletic director, he oversees like 23 programs, which includes a top volleyball team, world series baseball team, a gold medalist track and field athlete, post season soccer teams, hiring a final four women's basketball coach, Etc.

I

Coach Stoops is going to be our coach for at least 3 more seasons because of that HORRIBLE contract. He ain't walking away from that kind of money and there isn't ANY other school that will pay him what we do. Now, the ONLY way he isn't our coach next year is IF he is tired and wants to retire at a relatively young age like his brother Bob did.

From the way he has talked over the last year about NIL and how he has to worry about "85 Free Agents every year", he may be ready to quit, but I doubt it.
And Bob went out relatively on a high note. I’m sure it would be tough for Stoops to walk away on a low note like this season without trying to “fix” it.

Barnhart isn't going anywhere. I get the want for the big 2 sports and its what most ppl care about, me included (which is funny tho when ppl say "well they make all the money" as an argument, bc those are usually the ppl that say they hate money in college sports), but his title is athletic director, he oversees like 23 programs, which includes a top volleyball team, world series baseball team, a gold medalist track and field athlete, post season soccer teams, hiring a final four women's basketball coach, Etc.

I
Without the money brought in by the football program, those "23 other sports" WON'T be even competitive anymore. So football AND basketball to a smaller extent have to keep the fans interest.

Mitch got EXTREMELY lucky that Cal's ENORMOUS EGO was stroked by Arkansas. I don't think we'll be so lucky with the Coach Stoops situation. So the heat on Mitch is just beginning if the football program continues to be this bad and at this point it is REALLY bad!!

I don’t care what Matt Jones says is true or ain’t true about that cheerleader stuff. Probably 98% of the time where there is smoke there is fire. The girl may not be pregnant but something likely happened there.

Mitch is a conservative man and not only would he be morally against it but it would dang sure be against the stipulations in Stoops’s contract. Maybe Barnhart has evidence and will run with this.

I’m gonna say it again that there is NO WAY Stoops is here next year.

I don’t care what Matt Jones says is true or ain’t true about that cheerleader stuff. Probably 98% of the time where there is smoke there is fire. The girl may not be pregnant but something likely happened there.

Mitch is a conservative man and not only would he be morally against it but it would dang sure be against the stipulations in Stoops’s contract. Maybe Barnhart has evidence and will run with this.

I’m gonna say it again that there is NO WAY Stoops is here next year.
I hope you're right.

Without the money brought in by the football program, those "23 other sports" WON'T be even competitive anymore. So football AND basketball to a smaller extent have to keep the fans interest.

Mitch got EXTREMELY lucky that Cal's ENORMOUS EGO was stroked by Arkansas. I don't think we'll be so lucky with the Coach Stoops situation. So the heat on Mitch is just beginning if the football program continues to be this bad and at this point it is REALLY bad!!
It is irrelevant if the wbb, volleyball, and track all win nc's next year it won't move the department revenue needle at all. That doesn't mean you don't compete to win it but it's absurd to prioritize those above the ones that do.

Reactions: catben and cathouse
I don’t care which way Barnhart goes but it needs to be addressed. If he keeps Stoops, let him know that he is on a short leash and things better turn around. If he lets him go, we better have a better coach waiting to make a new start. But, I think nothing changes and nothing will be addressed about this year. Just a depressing thought that this is what we are going to see for the next 3 years.

You let him finish out the year and retire. It will all be done behind the scenes. Will be best for both parties. Stoops will get more than he deserves but a protracted legal battle will be avoided and his legacy will be in tact.
What’s going on is there truth to the story that was being passed around about the cheerleader?

Unless you're going all in on maybe Summerall, now would be the perfect time to see what Brad White could do for multiple weeks. That also puts us in a tough spot though if White kills it.

Either way, Stoops needs to go. We're done and will be lucky to field a team after all the transfers.

Reactions: bigbluedon
What’s going on is there truth to the story that was being passed around about the cheerleader?
It happened back in 2015 I think or 2016. Stoops started winning and it was pushed under the table is what many surmised. Not sure if true or not but the rumors were he knocked up a cheerleader and she had to have an abortion. Like I said, no clue if true or just a fabrication by UofL fans.

This is ridiculous. Y’all kept spouting this contract nonsense about Calipari and you see how it worked out. When the fanbase says it’s time, coaches move on. Especially in the NIL and transfer era. Stoops won’t be back because he will see the uphill climb it would take to stay, and he’s doesn’t want to deal with that.

It happened back in 2015 I think or 2016. Stoops started winning and it was pushed under the table is what many surmised. Not sure if true or not but the rumors were he knocked up a cheerleader and she had to have an abortion. Like I said, no clue if true or just a fabrication by UofL fans.
It was a server at Malone's not cheerleader. This was a longtime ago; 7 or 8 years

Feels like Tennessee week in here. I don’t know enough to say if it did or didn’t happen but, you can bet when we play Tennessee that something like this will be the chatter.

This is ridiculous. Y’all kept spouting this contract nonsense about Calipari and you see how it worked out. When the fanbase says it’s time, coaches move on. Especially in the NIL and transfer era. Stoops won’t be back because he will see the uphill climb it would take to stay, and he’s doesn’t want to deal with that.
So, you really believe that Coach Stoops will walk away from a contract that guarantees him $44 million when no other school would come close to paying him that kind of money????!!! And you also believe that he would leave the program that he built in this low state???!!!

That is “ridiculous”.

Cal talked to Arkansas without telling UK, VOIDING his contract. That is the ONLY reason Mitch escaped that HORRIBLE buyout. Do you think there is a school out there that wants coach Stoops and do you also believe he would NOT tell UK after what JUST happened with Cal???!!!

That is also “ridiculous”.

It is irrelevant if the wbb, volleyball, and track all win nc's next year it won't move the department revenue needle at all. That doesn't mean you don't compete to win it but it's absurd to prioritize those above the ones that do.

You are right it won't move the revenue needle, but if you want a football program TitleIX assures those programs exist and are properly funded.

And by coincidence, it came out in one of the lowest parts of early seasons. Don't blame Louisville. This was Kentucky fans who wanted it to be true so that Stoops could be fired so they turned off their brains. There were some Petrino fan boys who'd rather be right on the Internet than Kentucky fans, so a student sex scandal was the twist too far.

A person would have to be the dumbest, ugliest, stupidest, immoral, idiotic, gullible jackass in the world to believe it.

I
Guess what pays for most of that shit....

So, you really believe that Coach Stoops will walk away from a contract that guarantees him $44 million when no other school would come close to paying him that kind of money????!!! And you also believe that he would leave the program that he built in this low state???!!!

That is “ridiculous”.

Cal talked to Arkansas without telling UK, VOIDING his contract. That is the ONLY reason Mitch escaped that HORRIBLE buyout. Do you think there is a school out there that wants coach Stoops and do you also believe he would NOT tell UK after what JUST happened with Cal???!!!

That is also “ridiculous”.

It won't be like Cal.

But yeah, I think Stoops could walk away. Coaches retire and leave money on the table all the time. Bob Stoops being a relevant example. Will losing rejuvenate him, or make another year look harder. People don't like to lose. I could see him taking a year off and trying for a coordinator job somewhere out west near his kids.

And by coincidence, it came out in one of the lowest parts of early seasons. Don't blame Louisville. This was Kentucky fans who wanted it to be true so that Stoops could be fired so they turned off their brains. There were some Petrino fan boys who'd rather be right on the Internet than Kentucky fans, so a student sex scandal was the twist too far.

A person would have to be the dumbest, ugliest, stupidest, immoral, idiotic, gullible jackass in the world to believe it.
So what you are saying is someone just made it up. Maybe, but either way it's just a rumor until any proof is provided. Should be ignored. I was under the understanding it leaked out and UofL fans ran with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT