ADVERTISEMENT

Toppin needs to realize.. basketball games.. It’s Showtime !

Jul 19, 2004
Playing well at basketball takes a lot of things.. but for those who perform great, realize it’s a show and they love performing.

Relax, see the game, let it come to you and play your role with great confidence and realize every missed shot is just part of the performance.
Bird, Magic, Jordan, Curry- are the standard
Every game is a stage play, and you have to bring it .. Toppin seems to play worried, plays hard, but not with a lot of freedom.
Maybe he needs to go back and watch a Marshall Henderson tape= he’s the extreme.. :))

I don’t disagree with the thoughts above, my main point is offensive basketball, is 90% mental, esp shooting in a game... and you need to have a performers mentality to be successful.. mentally he’s pressing .. just relax, play the game with some swagger.. realize, playing with some swagger will help you play to your talent level.

Playing well at basketball takes a lot of things.. but for those who perform great, realize it’s a show and they love performing.

Relax, see the game, let it come to you and play your role with great confidence and realize every missed shot is just part of the performance.
Every game is a stage play, and you have to bring it .. Toppin seems to play worried, plays hard, but not with a lot of freedom.
Maybe he needs to go back and watch a Marshall Henderson tape= he’s the extreme.. :))
Maybe you could take his place.

Reactions: 93kicker
Correct, he needs to let the game come to him and do what he does well and not force things when it's not there. He has the ability to do a whole lot more, I think more is expected from him being a senior. He still has time.

Reactions: westerncat

Wow!

Toppin is trying to transform from a spunky energy boost to a killer. That’s a lot of change. A lot of decent observations here about how he needs to change his game and focus. But I’ve got no problem with him taking a while to do it. He may very well already be taking all your advice in his head but getting that into muscle memory is another story. Long as he’s starting to feel comfortable by conference play we’re golden.

He is what he is. People are expecting way too much.

I think he believes he needs to be the guy on the court that takes over, maybe Cal told him he needs to be a leader and he's taking it too far. He just needs to play within himself and show toughness. The younger players need Toppin to show them how to man up in tough environments and situations. That’s where his true leadership capabilities will come in.
If he watched the tape of these first two games, he's seen the difference between team ball and the times he tried to do too much and tried to make the hardest shot possible.
I believe he will figure it out eventually, he just needs to play through it and if he starts playing me-ball, there are 3 or 4 guys that can come in and do it the right way.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck
I'm hoping it's just a guy thinking "well Oscar is out I need to step it up" and he's trying to do too much.

In other words, maybe he's better once Oscar comes back and he accepts his role in all of this. Toppin can still be important for us in this season.

We’ve only played TWO games. LOL. Let’s see how the season goes for Toppin before he’s declared a bust or overrated. He’s one of the keys to the success of this season. And yes, if he’s pressing and thinking he needs to impress scouts and be the man, that’s the wrong attitude to have. I said IF. I have no idea if that’s his mindset.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak
Should be interesting:
POWER FORWARD matchup:

The summer “buzz” around UK’s Jacob Toppin (11.5 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.0 steals) was that the 6-9, 205-pound Brooklyn, N.Y., product was sitting on a big senior season. Through Kentucky’s two season-opening wins over Howard and Duquesne, Toppin may be pressing in trying to live up to his preseason hype — he has made only nine of 24 shots, one of three three-pointers. As the Cats take a big step up in competition vs. MSU, John Calipari and Co. will need a more efficient offensive showing from Toppin.

Michigan State senior Joey Hauser (10 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 35.3% FGs) had a nightmare in MSU’s loss to Gonzaga. The 6-9, 220-pound graduate student from Stevens Point, Wis., fouled out in 19 minutes after missing all five of his shot attempts, turning the ball over three times and finishing with two points and one rebound. The Marquette transfer’s performance in Michigan State’s season-opening 73-55 victory over Northern Arizona was more aligned with expectations for his play this season — 18 points and 10 rebounds.

Advantage: Even.

Read more at: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mark-story/article268714217.html#storylink=cpy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT