ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 Sci-Fi films

rabidcatfan

All-SEC
Jan 25, 2003
What are your top 10 Science Fiction films?

Here's my list:

1. 'Aliens' (1986)
2. 'Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back' (1980)
3. John Carpenter's 'The Thing' (1982)
4. 'Alien' (1978)
5. 'Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope' (1977)
6. 'Terminator 2: Judgement Day' (1992)
7. 'Back to the Future' (1985)
8. 'Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan' (1982)
9. 'The Terminator' (1984)
(tie) 10. 'Blade Runner' (1982)
(tie) 10. 'Planet of the Apes' (1968)

I think both Empire and the original Star Wars are the best of any on that list - but I also don't consider "Star Wars" to be science fiction. They're fantasy movies that happen to be set in space. They have a lot more in common with "Lord of the Rings" than with Sci-Fi, since they pretty much never talk about anything sciencey.

I think both Empire and the original Star Wars are the best of any on that list - but I also don't consider "Star Wars" to be science fiction. They're fantasy movies that happen to be set in space. They have a lot more in common with "Lord of the Rings" than with Sci-Fi, since they pretty much never talk about anything sciencey.
They have more to do with Kurosawa, John Ford, and Flash Gordon than anything.

I don't know about the best but I can tell you the absolute worst Sci-Fi movie ever made with a fairly large budget. Its Battlefield Earth (2000) written by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. Starred John Travolta, Barry Pepper, Forest Whitaker and Kelly Preston. Absolute waste of two hours.

BEScene.jpg

glowing-review-of-battlefield-earth.jpg

Last edited:
Blade Runner at #10 disqualifies you from pretty much life.

Lol...so I'm not allowed the opinion that I believe it to be not as good as any other film on my list??

It is only ranked #136 on the IMDB top 250, below many of the films ahead of it on my list, so I think that there are many more people out there who share my opinion of it than do yours. Just saying.

For the record, I love 'Blade Runner', but I don't love it more than those other films on my list.

Also, '2001: A Space Odyssey' isn't even i my top 25 Sci-Fi. I generally love Kubricks films, but '2001' is not one of them for me.

I don't know about the best but I can tell you the absolute worst Sci-Fi movie ever made with a fairly large budget. Its Battlefield Earth (2000) written by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard. Starred John Travolta, Barry Pepper, Forest Whitaker and Kelly Preston. Absolute waste of two hours.

BEScene.jpg

glowing-review-of-battlefield-earth.jpg
Couldn't agree more on this.

Reactions: Mashburned
I'd put Gattaca on the list.
Star Wars is fantasy.
Blade Runner and Planet of the Apes should be top 5.
Terminator IMO is better than Terminator II.
I'd also put the Abyss on the list.

Contact, Avatar, Predator,

Seriously, I don't get the Avatar love. Maybe it makes my top 15 sci-fi movies because the effects/technology aren't dated. Here's what irks me. They call the hard to get mineral unobtainium. Fine. And the whole plot and everything is just getting punched in the face direct and obvious. No subtlety whatsoever. So why not call the comically over the top bad guy (with the robot knife at the end, what?) Colonel Asshat? or Colonel Industrial Pollution? Or Colonel Military-Industrial Complex? Or promote him to General Bad Guy? Or maybe Colonel Modern Society? And then have him drop a candy wrapper on the ground and have a native with a single tear:

hqdefault.jpg

If you're going to reduce subtlety to zero, then roll with it. Have the courage of your convictions, James Cameron. Coward.

Seriously, I don't get the Avatar love. Maybe it makes my top 15 sci-fi movies because the effects/technology aren't dated. Here's what irks me. They call the hard to get mineral unobtainium. Fine. And the whole plot and everything is just getting punched in the face direct and obvious. No subtlety whatsoever. So why not call the comically over the top bad guy (with the robot knife at the end, what?) Colonel Asshat? or Colonel Industrial Pollution? Or Colonel Military-Industrial Complex? Or promote him to General Bad Guy? Or maybe Colonel Modern Society? And then have him drop a candy wrapper on the ground and have a native with a single tear:

hqdefault.jpg

If you're going to reduce subtlety to zero, then roll with it. Have the courage of your convictions, James Cameron. Coward.

Easy killer.... I agree, the story sucks, but the visual effects alone are strong enough for any sci fi list.

btw, who are you to question James Cameron? Son, he'll take a scuba gear to that ass and you'll be begging for Avatar 2.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
^ [roll] The James Cameron Deepsea Challenge. Gross.

I would put Starship Troopers on the list. Incredibly corny, incredibly entertaining. Plus co-ed showers (something Battlestar Gallactica didn't get to explore b/c TV).

Not sure about top 10, but I'll throw out a few more. Interstellar was pretty good. Does Independence Day count?

Here's a few old ones: The War of the Worlds (1953), The Time Machine (1960), Fantastic Voyage (1966).

Reactions: UpstateNYCat
Any list without 2001 is automatically rendered irrelevant.

Top 10 for me :

1) 2001 : A Space Odessey
2) Blade Runner
3) Brazil
4) Close Encounters of the Third Kind
5) The Empire Strikes Back
6) The Prestige
7) Moon
8) Children of Men
9) Aliens
10) Terminator
Nice mention of Moon.

1. 20001, ASpace Odyssey
2. Contact
3. Colossus the Forbin Project
4. Prometheus (I thought this was better than the Aliens movies)
5. The Time Machine (1960)
6. Abyss
7. 12 Monkeys

Reactions: AustinTXCat
In no particular order

Star Wars movies
Star Trek movies
Terminator Movies
Matrix trilogy
Predator movies, including AvP 1&2
Riddick movies
Pandorum
Interstellar
Pacific Rim
Blade Runner

I heart that film. Sure it ripped of 2001 a little but it still worked really well.
Interested to see how his Warcraft flick turns out. I know nothing about Warcraft but he is a promising young director. Nothing is truly original. Everything rips off something. It's about making it your own and putting your spin on it.

Planet of the Apes(Original)
Star Trek - Wrath of Kahn
Close Encounters
Galaxy Quest
ET
Godzilla(Japanese Versions)
Logans Run (Mainly for Jenny Agutter)
Jurassic Park
RoboCop
The Thing (Remake)

Haven't seen the new Sci-fi movies out there.. And not sure how I'd rate these:

2001 Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
Moon (Sam Rockwell. Amazing job)
The Matrix
AI
Super 8
Alien series
Stalker

A guilty pleasure pick is Prometheus.. I never understand why that movie was hated. I loved it.

Want to see: More Tarkovsky, Primer, Sunshine.

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
Haven't seen the new Sci-fi movies out there.. And not sure how I'd rate these:

2001 Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
Moon (Sam Rockwell. Amazing job)
The Matrix
AI
Super 8
Alien series
Stalker

A guilty pleasure pick is Prometheus.. I never understand why that movie was hated. I loved it.

Want to see: More Tarkovsky, Primer, Sunshine.
Tarkovsky is a master. Primer is a cool low budget scifi. It's hard to keep up with though. Be prepared haha His other pic Upstream Color is also a cool low budget scifi. Under the Skin and Ex Machina are two recent ones that I really like.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT