ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 pure shooting guards to ever play at Kentucky

I dont know if he was a guard or SF but Derrick Hoard has one of the best shots Ive seen. He didnt pan out for varios reasons but he could shoot. Nice guy To. He and Freddie Cowans use to play pick up games with us at Alumni.
Derrick Hoard had a great jump shot. He didn't have the quickest release, but it was the kind of jump shot that gets taught at shooting camps. My memory is Derrick Hoard played a small #3 during his time at UK in the mid-80's - which translates to a shooting guard spot in today's basketball vernacular.

I’d have to go with:

Herro
Sheppard
Mills
Pill Poppin’ Rex
Sparks
Ford
Dampier
Macy
Grevey
Casey
CJ

Delk was decent but not like the above.

Reed is a sleeping giant, he will be bustin’ down the door to make my top 10.
Your posting privileges should be revoked for this.

I’d have to go with:

Herro
Sheppard
Mills
Pill Poppin’ Rex
Sparks
Ford
Dampier
Macy
Grevey
Casey
CJ

Ford was definitely a point guard though one that could shoot at a very high level and Sparks was more a small combo than a pure shooting guard if he too wasn't straight up a point that just played the 2.

I think there is easy room for Delk on your list. I can't see Sparks over Delk no matter how you squint or slice it.

Well he did shoot 47% from the field for his career, 51 % his junior year, not bad considering his back issues his senior year. I do agree he was a small forward.
Riley was deadly from the corners and that was his spot.

Ford was definitely a point guard though one that could shoot at a very high level and Sparks was more a small combo than a pure shooting guard if he too wasn't straight up a point that just played the 2.

I think there is easy room for Delk on your list. I can't see Sparks over Delk no matter how you squint or slice it.
I think the poster was confused and thought the list had to be strictly white players.

• Wow
Reactions: blue woman
I’d have to go with:

Herro
Sheppard
Mills
Pill Poppin’ Rex
Sparks
Ford
Dampier
Macy
Grevey
Casey
CJ

What?! Delk was great. Half of your list wouldn’t touch him.

Reactions: Zissou87
Put Louie Dampier at the top of the list and we can argue about everybody else.

Dampier did it in college and the Pros. As a college player he was an All American and was a 20 ppg scorer. His Pro career was even more impressive. He is in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame as a player. He averaged 15.0 ppg during his pro career. He is #1 in scoring, #1 in field goals made, #1 in 3 point goals made in ABA history just to name a few. He also had a stellar NBA career when the leagues merged.

He also had the smoothest shot I have ever seen and in the clutch get it in his hands.

Kentucky has been blessed with many. Delk, Anderson, Lamb, the list is long.

• Love
Reactions: blue woman
I will say I dont know where he ranks in any list, but the Pitino's first year 89-90, we were on probation and Derrick Miller flat played his guts out that year. Averaged close to 20 a game and was clutch as hell on a team that needed every point he could give to finish .500 that year. Absolutely fun as hell to watch that team, BBN first experience with Pitino tempo with a bunch of average players for the most part.

Best % guards----doron lamb 44%, cameron mills 47%, travis ford 44%, Kellan grady 44%, devin booker 41%, jamal murray 40%, shai alexander 40%, rex champion 40%, derek Anderson 39%, tony delk49%, malik monk 39%, immauel quickly 39%, gerald fitch 39%, anthony epps 39%, jeff sheppard 38%, jody meeks 38%, quade green 38%, eric bledsoe 38%. That's top 18 guards and if anyone wants to say this one or that one wasn't a guard then go on to the next player and we still will have enough to see top ten players

Best shooters I ever saw at UK. Just pure shooters;

Dampier
Grevey
Schiedler
Macy
Master
Ford
Delk
Lamb
Knight
Quickley

I want to add Murray, Aaron Harrison and Monk and maybe some more? But the question was 10.

As far as the one I just knew was going in every time it left his hands was Doron Lamb. I was always surprised when he missed an open look. Quickley became like that too. We've had many better scorers than most of these guys. But to just shoot the ball? I'll take my list over any others.

Best shooters I ever saw at UK. Just pure shooters;

Dampier
Grevey
Schiedler
Macy
Master
Ford
Delk
Lamb
Knight
Quickley

I want to add Murray, Aaron Harrison and Monk and maybe some more? But the question was 10.

As far as the one I just knew was going in every time it left his hands was Doron Lamb. I was always surprised when he missed an open look. Quickley became like that too. We've had many better scorers than most of these guys. But to just shoot the ball? I'll take my list over any o
Best % guards----doron lamb 44%, cameron mills 47%, travis ford 44%, Kellan grady 44%, devin booker 41%, jamal murray 40%, shai alexander 40%, rex champion 40%, derek Anderson 39%, tony delk49%, malik monk 39%, immauel quickly 39%, gerald fitch 39%, anthony epps 39%, jeff sheppard 38%, jody meeks 38%, quade green 38%, eric bledsoe 38%. That's top 18 guards and if anyone wants to say this one or that one wasn't a guard then go on to the next player and we still will have enough to see top ten players
The top 10 are the first ten players listed above

From my lifetime while they were at UK

1. Tony Delk
2. Rex Chapman
3. Jodie Meeks
4. Doron Lamb
5. Jamal Murray
6. Derrick Miller
7. Jeff Sheppard
8. Malik Monk
9. Gerald Fitch
10. Patrick Sparks
you left off Louie Dampier who is leading scorer in ABA history and in the basketball Hall of Fame. If they had had a 3 point shot in 66 we would have beaten Texas Western

you left off Louie Dampier who is leading scorer in ABA history and in the basketball Hall of Fame. If they had had a 3 point shot in 66 we would have beaten Texas Western
That’s great, but re read my post. MY lifetime, not my grandfather’s. Reading comprehension is non existent in today’s age.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT