ADVERTISEMENT

Tony Bennett retiring, effective immediately.

If you want out of your job bad enough, and you've got the money to go without said job and live comfortably, why not? These kids would leave in a heartbeat for another school if given what they perceived to be a better opportunity, and it IS the NIL that's a problem.
Maybe a kid tried to extort him. There have been rumblings of kids telling coaches before the tournament or bowl games, I want this much or I’m not playing. It put Saban in retirement.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Agree with you 100%. That being said. Why did he sign the extension? Why did he not just quit after his latest flameout due to being offensively challenged as a coach and failing to adapt? He shouldn't have had his staff go out and get transfers or recruits either. He admitted this morning that he was lying since he knew he was thinking of this last year. So he's a liar on top of being selfish? Cool. Glad we got to see the real version come out.

This isn't mandatory. If you don't like how the landscape is, don't have to be a coach. It's funny how many of these guys are more than happy to coach when they have all the control, make millions off the athletes but the second the players get a cut, they don't like the "direction". Yet many of the same people always use other schools/NBA level as a threat to their employers to get more $ out of them. It's business and always has been. Nothing has changed except it's harder for control freak coaches who struggle with adapting to succeed.

Bennett is a perfect reflection of how a package/message delivery style protects him. He's bland and calm when he speaks but that doesn't change what he actually is doing here. If this was a Calipari like coach, imagine the heat that would come from the media (rightfully so too) for the timing and excuses being thrown out.
Hey I know the timing sucks. No denying that but I think we’ve all been at jobs where we had a breaking point to where we just couldn’t do it anymore.

Agree with you 100%. That being said. Why did he sign the extension? Why did he not just quit after his latest flameout due to being offensively challenged as a coach and failing to adapt? He shouldn't have had his staff go out and get transfers or recruits either. He admitted this morning that he was lying since he knew he was thinking of this last year. So he's a liar on top of being selfish? Cool. Glad we got to see the real version come out.

This isn't mandatory. If you don't like how the landscape is, don't have to be a coach. It's funny how many of these guys are more than happy to coach when they have all the control, make millions off the athletes but the second the players get a cut, they don't like the "direction". Yet many of the same people always use other schools/NBA level as a threat to their employers to get more $ out of them. It's business and always has been. Nothing has changed except it's harder for control freak coaches who struggle with adapting to succeed.

Bennett is a perfect reflection of how a package/message delivery style protects him. He's bland and calm when he speaks but that doesn't change what he actually is doing here. If this was a Calipari like coach, imagine the heat that would come from the media (rightfully so too) for the timing and excuses being thrown out.
He wasn't thinking last year of quitting just before the season started, if that's the narrative you're trying to paint. He thought about quitting last year, but ultra-competitive people have a difficult time quitting anything they're doing. There's always "just one more" until it all just falls apart. He likely dealt with some nasty situations involving NIL, IMO, and IMO he felt the university wasn't helping the situation from his perspective.

100% agreed. This guy doesn't like players getting paid but he is ok with him getting millions and the ncaa and tv networks fat cats taking advantage making billions off the players.

He is a hypocrite and won't get called out on it much by the media. Cal would be crucified if he did this right before a season.
I don't think he said he's not okay with players getting paid. The system is a mess right now, there's no denying it. It's a complete free for all. A guy on UNLV's football team just quit mid year over NIL concerns. This just isn't a sustainable way to run college sports, but unfortunately there's very few things the NCAA can legally do to rein it in right now.

The current system has driven Roy Williams, Coach K, Jay Wright, Nick Saban, and now Tony Bennett to retire. I'm guessing Izzo isn't far behind them. I think the names on that list should tell you this runs deeper than a coach just being a hypocrite about player compensation.

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm saying it's a crappy thing to do.
Some of those players committed to him and now have to make a quick decision to stay or find another school.
He doesn't get to gripe about transfers and then basically transfer himself to retirement. You think he'd be happy if one of his players walked into his office and said, "Hey coach, yeah, I'm done." No, of course not.
Right? But given the landscape it's completely possible for the player to do that. And I think that was his point. Crappy or not, it's his decision. I agree about "committing to him", that part sucks and he as much said that. But he thinks a staff member taking over and having the continuity of the same staff makes that easier for them. This moment would have to come sooner or later as far as that part goes.
That being said, yes, it's his life and he should do what he thinks best for him. However, don't expect everyone to be happy with it or even understand it.

My biggest complaint is his reasoning is crap. Nothing has changed in the landscape of college ball in 4 months for him to say, "Yeah, I'm leaving due to NIL/Transfers" That was the same in June when he signed an extension. He's probably forfeiting a sizable chunk of money to do this though.
Can someone not change their mind? He said it, and I'll take a guy like him at his word.
I just think its ratty to dump your dudes 2 weeks before the season starts for something you knew wasn't changing four months ago when you said you'd keep going. At least start the season with the guys you convinced to come there. If you still feel the same way by Jan. Hang it up. This to me just reeks of "I'm taking my toys and going home."
Hanging it up in the middle of the season is FAR WORSE than doing it now. You think that wouldn't create a major distraction at a bad time? C'mon now. Some of the other stuff I can agree with or at least see. This one is far off.

I don't think he said he's not okay with players getting paid. The system is a mess right now, there's no denying it. It's a complete free for all. A guy on UNLV's football team just quit mid year over NIL concerns. This just isn't a sustainable way to run college sports, but unfortunately there's very few things the NCAA can legally do to rein it in right now.

The current system has driven Roy Williams, Coach K, Jay Wright, Nick Saban, and now Tony Bennett to retire. I'm guessing Izzo isn't far behind them. I think the names on that list should tell you this runs deeper than a coach just being a hypocrite about player compensation.
True, but it's not like every coach is crying about it. Just the old guard, and even then, not all of them. Cal is still at it. Self it still at it. So is Few.

Dude is 55 and he just says "I'm done." Seems like he tried it last year (and UVA suuuuucked) and he didn't want to do it again. Fair enough. Leave in June....not October.

Hey I know the timing sucks. No denying that but I think we’ve all been at jobs where we had a breaking point to where we just couldn’t do it anymore.
Sure. But again, not everyone has the freedom to just say I quit without consequences. He's not gonna get a lot of sympathy making millions a year.

Completely disagree. Any program worth going to has a roster set and they aren't going to try to integrate some new guy 20 days before their first game. Cal might be the only one to even consider that. Move just screams desperation. Tony Bennett has been doing this a LONG time too, I can't imagine that wasn't discussed and covered. I bet they don't lose a single player that is in the rotation. The dude is just rock solid. People here are too accustomed to dealing with turds like Cal to understand this move is pure.
You don't think a team now that they have run a few practices and needs say a center, or point guard isn't going to be calling some of those kids. And I am willing to bet they do lose a player or two unless their NIL deals are too big.

True, but it's not like every coach is crying about it. Just the old guard, and even then, not all of them. Cal is still at it. Self it still at it. So is Few.

Dude is 55 and he just says "I'm done." Seems like he tried it last year (and UVA suuuuucked) and he didn't want to do it again. Fair enough. Leave in June....not October.
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on timing. It was probably an incredibly difficult decision. I wouldn't be surprised if he fully convinced himself he wanted to come back until one day he realized he didn't. It's not ideal by any stretch, but once he realized he just couldn't give it is all this year it's probably better for the team for the assistant to take over and give it his all than have Bennett return and just half ass it.

And they jury is still out on whether or not Cal is "still at it" lol

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on timing. It was probably an incredibly difficult decision. I wouldn't be surprised if he fully convinced himself he wanted to come back until one day he realized he didn't. It's not ideal by any stretch, but once he realized he just couldn't give it is all this year it's probably better for the team for the assistant to take over and give it his all than have Bennett return and just half ass it.

And they jury is still out on whether or not Cal is "still at it" lol

Well, true, but Cal is still recruiting like he's still at it anyway. lol

I think it's just the reasoning that bugs me most. Like, no one cares man. That's the way it is now and you make millions to do it.
He's even done the hard part of the recruiting for this year. If he doesn't want to continue that part I get it; send someone else. Announce you're done at years end. Teach the game this year and hang it up.

Just, bizarre timing to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT