ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight was the most three's made since 1995 against LSU (Most of Cal Era)

I think we took a few too many threes to be honest. I understand they played a lot of zone, and most of those threes were open shots, but shooting 30+ a game is an easy way to get knocked out early in the tournament. Having a bad night from three is easily a 20+ point swing. Shooting this many looks great when it works. It looks awful when it doesn't. That's exactly why Arkansas lost tonight.

Yeah, it worked out fine tonight. But it always works out fine until it suddenly doesn't.

I think we took a few too many threes to be honest. I understand they played a lot of zone, and most of those threes were open shots, but shooting 30+ a game is an easy way to get knocked out early in the tournament. Having a bad night from three is easily a 20+ point swing. Shooting this many looks great when it works. It looks awful when it doesn't. That's exactly why Arkansas lost tonight.

Yeah, it worked out fine tonight. But it always works out fine until it suddenly doesn't.

You’re not wrong… but after so many years of watching the Cats get awful looks at the end of the shot clock while our opponents get wide open shots due to good ball movement, I’m just glad the script is flipped. If the 3’s are wide open, take em. Rather they take 30 open threes than 10 stupid 18-footers.

Last edited:

When the threes are falling and that’s what is available for a good shot, you keep taking them. Also matters Who is taking them. Our 3 best shooters took 20 tonight and hit 13. Wagner chucked up 8 tonight which is too many for him unless he gets more consistent shooting. When 3’s aren’t falling (like 09 WV game), is when you can’t just keep chucking them up there, or like reeves against Kansas or Kansas st.

17 Threes is the most we have made since we beat LSU in 95 where we made 20.

Thoughts?
We have a modern team now finally, and Welch is proving to be a great hire and one that was vastly needed. Cal can make some noise if this keeps up the next couple years.

We have 46 3-pointers made so far. For reference, the last few years we made like 215, 200 and 160 (removing the shortened year).

So kentucky is more or less already a quarter of the way to what our average 3pt makes was.. and it's only been 4 games.

There were MANY 4 and 5-game stretches the last few years where Kentucky didn't even make 17 3-pointers combined.

The 37 3-pointers over the last THREE games was often more 3s than Kentucky scored over entire MONTHS in recent seasons.

Last edited:
17 Threes is the most we have made since we beat LSU in 95 where we made 20.

Thoughts?
Just like I predicted "the next JV team that comes to Rupp will pay for the Kansa loss". Yeah, we shot the 3 well, but is was basically against a church league team. So don't cut the nets down yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT