ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Fornelli: Bob Stoops, Mark Stoops lead replacements for Willie Taggart

mktmaker

Junior
Jun 5, 2001
Atlanta
Florida State coaching candidates: Bob Stoops, Mark Stoops lead replacements for Willie Taggart

Who will step in for Taggart with the Seminoles? Florida State fans should probably be realistic

The Florida State job is now open. Willie Taggart was fired on Sunday afternoon following a loss to Miami that dropped the Seminoles to 4-5 on the season, 9-12 in his tenure and 0-5 against its biggest rivals. Now Florida State will be conducting its second coaching search in three years after not having one for 41 years considering the transition from Bobby Bowden to Jimbo Fisher

But who will the Seminoles find to will replace Taggart?

Well, while Florida State has had a rough go of it the last few years, this is still a blue-blood program at which you can win a national championship. It is a desirable job. Fisher won a title at FSU just seven years ago. This remains a destination job, not a stepping stone. It's the kind of job that could lure a Power Five coach away from their current gig, but considering the state of the locker room, is also one that could require the Noles to get creative.

Odds are Florida State has already begun compiling its list of candidates, and we here at CBS Sports have our own. Some of these are more realistic than others, of course, but there shouldn't be any shortage of candidates for the Noles job.

If you're a dreamer:

Bob Stoops
Urban Meyer

If you're realistic:

Mark Stoops
Mike Leach
P.J. Fleck
Brent Venables
Mike Norvell
Luck Fickell
Dave Clawson
Lane Kiffin

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-stoops-lead-replacements-for-willie-taggart/

You guys that think FSU wont go hard after Mark Stoops are kidding yourselves.
If UK does what I think they are going to do and win out and go 9-4 on the heels of a 10-3 season well thats 19-7 over the last 2 yrs in the premier conference in America. It will be very difficult to keep FSU’s paws off Stoops.

If you're a realist ...
Mark Stoops, Kentucky coach: If you can't get Bob Stoops, why not his brother? He doesn't get much national attention, but Mark Stoops has done a fantastic job at Kentucky. Stoops spent three seasons as Florida State's defensive coordinator before taking over a Kentucky program without much success or history, and he's built it into something respectable. The Wildcats won 10 games in 2018 and are 4-4 this season despite being so beset by injuries that they've had to use a receiver at quarterback. He's also recruited well. Given the power of Florida State behind him, he could rejuvenate the program in Tallahassee, Florida.

I suspect FSU will at least reach out to Stoops. Will they be seriously interested? Who knows. I think they will be.

That being said, Stoops would be foolish to leave UF. He is one of the highest 20 paid coaches in college football and isn't asked to contend for conference championships/division championships perennially. 7/8 wins is more than enough for him here. Why would he leave for FSU that will demand him to be competitive on the national level?

Reactions: jdgilbys5
I think it would be a mistake if Stoops took that job if offered, but they usually always do. I think these coaches always fantasize about winning at so-called big time programs. The garbage pale is littered with them, but they usually always take the leap.

Is Bob Stoops currently employed?

Sure, he has a title ring, but with no buyout or competing school trying to hold him, why would that be such a far fetched dream?

Would Venebles consider that job? He is paid like a lot of HCs. Would he take the FSU job or wait for a better gig. FSU has a lot of baggage.

if Stoops left for FSU (I bet against it), I would go hard after Venebles. I know UK may not have the name a guy in Venebles position may want, but stoops has created a culture Venebles could work with and had a returning defense that could permit PV to really build upon.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Is Bob Stoops currently employed?

Sure, he has a title ring, but with no buyout or competing school trying to hold him, why would that be such a far fetched dream?

Bob is HC of XFL team in Texas i believe

Don't forget Bear Bryant did not want to be in Adolf's shadow.

From the tweets, above, Rybka and Rogers are looking forward to casting their shadows in Blue!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT