ADVERTISEMENT

To those questioning Drew's ability to handle the pressure of Kentucky.

Point being, if he can handle coming in to that sh*tstorm and oversee the complete rebuild of a program, he can handle pretty much anything. If you can't get your heads around that, it's probably because they are stuck too far up your collective a$$ to ever see the light. Carry on.

It’s astonishing how many people don’t really research a candidate. Go research Drew and see if he’s an actual fit off the court.

Reactions: 007Arb
Point being, if he can handle coming in to that sh*tstorm and oversee the complete rebuild of a program, he can handle pretty much anything. If you can't get your heads around that, it's probably because they are stuck too far up your collective a$$ to ever see the light. Carry on.
Is he still having rebuild time? Cause he’s been dropped in the 2nd round the last 3 seasons as the higher seed and his recruiting has only been decent the last 3-4 seasons.

This. Pilgrim said it best. If you have competent assistants and actually delegate, and if you care, it ain't that hard running a program.

This is what he went in to at Baylor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylor_University_basketball_scandal

I think he'll be just fine.
Have you not been around this board when each coach we've had starts to suck? If Drew comes in and gets blown out in the first year, there won't be many here giving him a pass, not with the portal and NIL at his disposal and other coaches doing great things in their first years.

Sorry, but my expectation is that whomever we hire wins next March in the first weekend, minimum. Can Drew do this? No clue. He's been at one program for so long that I'd be shocked if he not only left, but had the mojo to regroup and meet Kentucky's high, high expectations.

Less people care about UK basketball now than when we hired Cal. Should be less pressure.

Reactions: TM2013
Is he still having rebuild time? Cause he’s been dropped in the 2nd round the last 3 seasons as the higher seed and his recruiting has only been decent the last 3-4 seasons.

In fairness, Hurley's success is very recent. Before the past 2 years he was unimpressive. Just chasing the latest coach to win a title or two might not be a good idea.

I question his ability to handle the sec and not always having Ky in 3/4 spot and never winning the conference title. Just as he has done in the Big 12.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Pressure doesn't have anything to do with it.

His title is better than no title but it's a little suspect. COVID year.

Other than that he's been an Elite Eight ceiling guy. Two of those In 21 years at Baylor, outside COVID year.

Not a bad guy. Middle of the pack B-tier guy.

You don't throw the bank at a middle of the pack B-tier guy as your first offer.

IF all the top guys turn down formal, well-articulated offers attached to real numbers, then people like Scott Drew become reasonable targets. Not until then. Nothing personal against the guy at all and I will passionately support him if he comes here——as long as he comes here under reasonable circumstances and not from Barnhart panicking somehow.

There are exactly 7 active coaches who have won National Championships and only 4 of them are even remotely possible to hire. And one of those is Pitino who would never be hired. One who is not an active coach is Donovan.

Coaches with a Championship that we could hire:
Drew
Bennett
Hurley
Donovan

Pitino

Coaches with a Championship that we couldn't hire:
Calipari
Izzo
Self

If you go by National Titles won, the list is 4 coaches and Drew is one of them. I don't think anyone really wants Bennett, so you have Drew, Hurley and Donovan.

He would be the first coach UK has ever hired that already had a Championship. So that would make him about the most qualified we would have ever hired.

You suggested that Drew isn't a fit off the court. Tell us why he's not. Obviously you know, and it must be fact right? Otherwise, why trash RR members who would love to hear your expertise on coaches?
Ok…here goes. Hes a staunch Christian. (Some say fanatical). (Faith healer, speaks In tongues etc…) he is faith first wants his players to get saved etc…he left Valpo(Christian school) for Baylor(Christian school). Is that a bad thing? No but he’s not a fit just anywhere. Do I think he could come to UK? Maybe. I just don’t see the fit. Coaching is only part of his legacy. You need to take that into consideration.

Ok…here goes. Hes a staunch Christian. (Some say fanatical). (Faith healer, speaks In tongues etc…) he is faith first wants his players to get saved etc…he left Valpo(Christian school) for Baylor(Christian school). Is that a bad thing? No but he’s not a fit just anywhere. Do I think he could come to UK? Maybe. I just don’t see the fit. Coaching is only part of his legacy. You need to take that into consideration.
Are you questioning whether an evangelical Christian is a fit for a school located in a deep red state in the middle of the Bible Belt? If so, that's an interesting take . . .

Reactions: TM2013
Are you questioning whether an evangelical Christian is a fit for a school located in a deep red state in the middle of the Bible Belt? If so, that's an interesting take . . .
I’m saying the faith based study and incorporating said faith is very important to him. If you take my comments any other way that’s on you. UK being in the Bible Belt is about all that seemingly is in common.

No judgement intended. For those curious, this is Scott Drew,

"It's like eating. You've got to do it every day. We start staff meetings in prayer; we start practice in prayer; we end practice in prayer. Players have players-only Bible study. So it's constantly being fed."

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Christianity is still quite popular in Kentucky lol. Especially the rural areas. That would be a net positive for Drew.

Reactions: Girthang
No judgement intended. For those curious, this is Scott Drew,

"It's like eating. You've got to do it every day. We start staff meetings in prayer; we start practice in prayer; we end practice in prayer. Players have players-only Bible study. So it's constantly being fed."
He's at a Christian school.

It is a secular school. If he wants a platform for his evangelism, UK isn't it.

I’m not a huge Drew fan based on looking at his career record but I will say this:

Calipari - 1 title in 32 years of NCAA coaching
Drew - 1 title in 22 years of NCAA coaching

One of those coaches had the likes of Marcus Camby, DRose, John Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, BAM, Fox, J. Randle, Devin Booker, KAT, Anthony Davis, etc. etc. etc. and spent almost half of his college career with the resources and influence of UK basketball at his disposal.

Reactions: Girthang
scott drew's record minus the championship year, expect 14 loses and 2nd round exists. he would be an absolute disaster.

Reactions: BlueRunner11
scott drew's record minus the championship year, expect 14 loses and 2nd round exists. he would be an absolute disaster.

To be fair that’s at Baylor.(at UK better visibility etc..)Hes not a fit anyway.

I hope this cup passeth or that I am wrong but once the happy Calipari is gone wears off it will be a lot clearer that Drew is dull fool's gold.

If not for that Covid title I don't think anyone would be pounding the table for him at all.

I think I'd rather go with old and sweaty or even a Buzz Williams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT