ADVERTISEMENT

To piggy back of rupp rennovation thread - will upper arena ever gets seats instead of benches

I hope the hell not. There's barely enough room up there now. Adding backs to the benches will make it virtually impossible to get to the aisles without falling all over everybody and tripping on feet and legs.

Reactions: YourPublicEnemy
Not saying to put backs on benches.... take out benches and put in seats! Sooooo uncomfortbale and u hav to het too cozy with neighbor and the knees in your back!!
I want to always be in rupp too but the benches need to go.

Reactions: mattrudd
Replacing the bleacher seats in Rupp with chairbacks was in the renovation plans announced several months ago.
BTW, doing this will by necessity reduce Rupp's capacity to around 21,500-22,000.
It's funny I never hear a clamor for replacing the bleachers at Commonwealth Stadium. Football games last as much as twice as long.
But, hey don't forget the cupholders too, right?

Last edited:
I hope the hell not. There's barely enough room up there now. Adding backs to the benches will make it virtually impossible to get to the aisles without falling all over everybody and tripping on feet and legs.
Agree.

Replacing the bleacher seats in Rupp with chairbacks was in the renovation plans announced several months ago.
BTW, doing this will by necessity reduce Rupp's capacity to around 21,500-22,000.
It's funny I never hear a clamor for replacing the bleachers at Commonwealth Stadium. Football games last as much as twice as long.
But, hey don't forget the cupholders too, right?
If I remember correctly, this will be done after this next season is completed, in time for the 2018-2019 season. However, not sure it's the entire upper section?

Hopefully they will get that done. Not only knees in your back but too many people spilling out of their seat into your seat because they can't push away from the table. Quit going for that reason. Go to as many neutral sight/tournament games as possible but just not enjoyable at Rupp. Usually need 5 tickets when I go and can't really get 5 lowers together.

Get my season football tickets in the upper deck but with the seats.

Reactions: YourPublicEnemy
Hopefully they will get that done. Not only knees in your back but too many people spilling out of their seat into your seat because they can't push away from the table. Quit going for that reason. Go to as many neutral sight/tournament games as possible but just not enjoyable at Rupp. Usually need 5 tickets when I go and can't really get 5 lowers together.

And we wonder why we don't get more NCAA tournament games scheduled at Rupp Arena. THIS is a perfect example of why I contended in another thread that we need a plush, new and large arena built ON CAMPUS!

Rupp has a lot of historical significance for all Wildcat fans, myself included. However, relative to other facilities, it's basically a barn ... little more than a glorified high school gymnasium with bleacher seats. Yuck!

Sure as heck beats squeezing between fatties to sit in your numbered spot. You also have to stand up and basically grope people to get to the isle or to your seat.

Get my season football tickets in the upper deck but with the seats.

This!

Agree i avoid games there too and go to nuetral sitrs or sec opponents like SC and GA. Seats very comfy there!

Y'all are so soft. The upper deck at Rupp is not that bad. I love going to Rupp and I feel privileged to be in the building. If I have to watch the game between a couple of fat people, then so be it. I'm still with 24,000 Cats fans, and the only thing that's going to bring me down is a loss.

Y'all are so soft. The upper deck at Rupp is not that bad. I love going to Rupp and I feel privileged to be in the building. If I have to watch the game between a couple of fat people, then so be it. I'm still with 24,000 Cats fans, and the only thing that's going to bring me down is a loss.

I'm with you, WACB. I have season tickets in the upper level at Rupp and love it. I'm right on midcourt facing both benches and have a terrific view of the game along with all the excitement of attending a live game. Just moved a little lower this past season and it was great being a little closer to the action. Sure, there is some inconvenience, at times, with the bench seats and I'd love to have more comfort but I just bring my seat cushion along and I'm good to go. I'm in Rupp and I love seeing games in person so I'm not going to complain too much. Some people just need to stay home in the comfort of their recliners and bigscreen TV's and quit complaining so much.

Usually, when I am able to go to a game, I have to sit in the Upper Level. True, it's not the most comfortable seat, but at least I am there with my Wildcat Family, cheering on the Big Blue. I can only afford 2 or 3 games a season, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Reactions: ORCAT
Usually, when I am able to go to a game, I have to sit in the Upper Level. True, it's not the most comfortable seat, but at least I am there with my Wildcat Family, cheering on the Big Blue. I can only afford 2 or 3 games a season, but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Exactly, it's people like you that appreciate the experience of being there so much that make it fun to be in Rupp. Like I said above, I would love more comfort at Rupp too but I'm not complaining much about what I do have, at least not to the degree that some on here do. We have a great arena with history, tradition and great fans having a good time together. And, they have been doing things to make the experience better and I think we will continue to see more upgrades in coming years, bit by bit. Hopefully, the restrooms will get one soon, lol.

Prices go up for season tickets anyway. When I got my first set of season tickets ( for row KK, backs literally against the wall) it was under $600 for the set. Now it's just under $2000, more than triple. I love going and there's no place I'd rather be, but it is getting expensive, especially since I live nearly 3 hours from Rupp. Took my daughter to her first game this year vs. Kansas, and wouldn't trade that experience for any amount of money, but it would have been nice to be able to sit in a real seat.

I attended the 2016 tournament game in Des Moines. That areana was much nicer and more comfortable than Rupp. Granted, it's much smaller and newer. But it really opened my eyes to how much better an arena can be.

I sat in the last row of the lower deck for the blue- white game. It was cramped and actually not a great view.

Fewer seats = even higher ticket prices on top of the usual increases.
Double the price, I would not care as long as I don't have some freaking Sasquatch sitting in their seat and my seat(lap). I have even bought an extra seat just to have room and it doesn't matter. Sasquatch still moves in. I go to games to be in to the atmosphere, cheer and have a good time and not to sit in the middle seat of an airplane between Melissa McCarthy and John Goodman.

I don't think they need nice seats. But just put backs, no arm rests, on the benches.

We add seats instead of benches, we lose the yearly attendance record. And we lose ticket revenue. Doubt that will happen.

An on-campus arena would be great -- if we didn't have to sell the naming rights. I'd hate for it to be Kroger Stadium or something. But you have to do that to afford it these days. Wish we could get a new arena and STILL call it Rupp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT