ADVERTISEMENT

Titans new coach

Bad news for UK. Bengals are coming after Coen and he’d be an idiot to say no to the chance to coach Burrow.

The Bengals aren't after Coen.

They have an OC in waiting who has been interviewing for OC jobs.

Dan Pitcher will be the OC in Cincinnati by tomorrow.

Liam Coen to Tennessee under Callahan? That's something to watch.

Hope you are right on the Bengals. Titans seem likely to come after him as well. That’s easier for him to say no to I think.

Hope the Bengals get Eric Bieniemy if not hired as the Washington HC.

FWIW, I know we have a few Tennessee fans here. For whatever reason, Callahan was never given the opportunity to calls plays in Cincinnati so it will be interesting to see what he's able to do with Levis and that running game next season.

Brian could hire his Dad as OC btw. Currently Bill's the OL coach in Cleveland.

As the QB coach???? As someone posted above, Pitcher should be the OBVIOUS choice for the Bengals.

No way the Bengals pay him what he's making here as the QB coach.

Then if you look at the Titans, WHY would Coen go to Nashville only to be the OC in name only??? Callahan will be calling the plays and working with Levis ONE-ON-ONE.

I would be SHOCKED if Coen chose to leave UK now. But, starnger things have happened for UK Football.

Reactions: jameslee32
Here is my Coen take...

1. He left McVay/Rams as OC due to not being the playcaller as the head coach is the quasi OC for that job (and rightfully so)
2. So if he jumps to Titans or Bengals (less likely apparently)....he'll go back to being the OC when in actuality the head coach is the quasi OC....but now for a ground level rebuild with Titans. And all the Titans have is Levis...who is raw prospect with a ton of grit and talent. The TE may be a solid TE and maybe Skoronski on the Oline as a high pick will be a piece (but his first year as a guard wasn't impressive to say the least)....but the rest of that offense is a mess. Hopkins is an old WR...the rest of the WR are poor. Chris Henry is moving on. The Oline is an utter disaster.

So Liam....if your desire to get to NFL....then all for you. Go get ya some.

Here is my Coen take...

1. He left McVay/Rams as OC due to not being the playcaller as the head coach is the quasi OC for that job (and rightfully so)
2. So if he jumps to Titans or Bengals (less likely apparently)....he'll go back to being the OC when in actuality the head coach is the quasi OC....but now for a ground level rebuild with Titans. And all the Titans have is Levis...who is raw prospect with a ton of grit and talent. The TE may be a solid TE and maybe Skoronski on the Oline as a high pick will be a piece (but his first year as a guard wasn't impressive to say the least)....but the rest of that offense is a mess. Hopkins is an old WR...the rest of the WR are poor. Chris Henry is moving on. The Oline is an utter disaster.

So Liam....if your desire to get to NFL....then all for you. Go get ya some.
Give it up for future HOF CHRIS Henry 😒.

I assume the titans new coach will call his own plays. Not sure coen would be willing to settle for that again

Yes.

At this point, you have to wonder if coen bothers making a statement about returning. Does it count if all your other options fell through? Not to me.

It's crazy because he seemed more committed to the program his first time. It took a lot for that rams oc job to come open. Understandable he'd take it. Noone blamed him for that. This time feels like he's chasing every job out there, despite weeks ago preaching his commitment.

Stoops and Co need to spend this season getting his replacement lined up. Our program is in a place where we really need at least some stability there. Noone expects a lifer, but you can't have someone after one year (again) start chasing every available job.

One theory floating out there is Coen has no intention of leaving. But his agent thinks getting his name involved in lots of openings keeps his reputation high....to make up for disappointing offense on the field in 2023.

Guess we will see when all NFL jobs are filled!

Bad news for UK. Bengals are coming after Coen and he’d be an idiot to say no to the chance to coach Burrow.
Your posts are almost always to worry UK fans. Try not to make it so pitifully obvious.

I don't understand the mindset? This is a fun board.
If your that lonely just skip a credit card payment!

• Haha
Reactions: 1stKatMan
One theory floating out there is Coen has no intention of leaving. But his agent thinks getting his name involved in lots of openings keeps his reputation high....to make up for disappointing offense on the field in 2023.

Guess we will see when all NFL jobs are filled!
This is what I've thought was happening from first hearing about his possible interview with the Bears.

It's what makes the most sense. Having his name connected to multiple NFL OC jobs could help our recruiting, especially with QB's and WR's.

I hope this is all it is, but with UK Football, you never know.

Brian could hire his Dad as OC btw. Currently Bill's the OL coach in Cleveland.
I haven't heard his dad for OC, but have heard his dad for OL.

Also, Munchak has been open about being open to return to the Titans. Either direction would be stellar hires for the OL. And being able to retool darn near the entire line from the onset......

While I would've preferred to keep Vrabel, I think this is a solid hire. We'll see how the rest of the staff rounds out and how the off-season goes.

Reactions: Dddjdd
Stone Saunders, in an interview with KSR, just said that Coen assured him he was staying in Lexington!!!

Would hate to think he would be willing to LIE to his top QB recruit, especially considering the connection Coen has to Stone's father.

I haven't heard his dad for OC, but have heard his dad for OL.

Also, Munchak has been open about being open to return to the Titans. Either direction would be stellar hires for the OL. And being able to retool darn near the entire line from the onset......
Which is why I mentioned it. Bill is a former college and NFL head coach. Brian's never been a head coach before. He'll undoubtedly have a wish list of hires that could have possibly influenced the Titan's decision to hire him. You just never know.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Btw, Zac Taylor could possibly hire his father in-law as OC for the Bengals although that seems unlikely since Mike Sherman hasn't coached since 2018. His brother Press is also an OC in the NFL in Jacksonville.

These are the highlights I would like the see the Titans hit before the draft. As of right now they have the 3rd largest cap space at ~$74 million......and the 4th youngest roster.

1. Sign a stellar OL coach. Mike Munchak has voiced the opinion that he'd come back to Nashville.....and Bill Callahan has the obvious connection.

2. Sign at least 2 or more quality OL starters.

3. Resign Henry. I would NOT ask him for a discount. His salary last yr was $12.5 million. His current market value according to Spotrac is $4.3 million. While, he'll likely get paid greater than $4.3m, he likely won't get anywhere close to $12.5m that he got last yr. If he has a good OL in front of him he has 1-2 more 1,000 yd seasons left in him. They already have an all-purpose back in Spears. Sign Henry with a 2-3 yr incentive laden deal, let him sell tickets, let him stack the box, let him take pressure off Levis as he develops, let him finish his career in Tennessee, etc.

4. Sign guys to fill in gaps. For example, we're losing Autry. Autry is coming off the best season of his career with 11.5 sacks. We're gonna lose some production here. We also haven't had a nice shut down corner in a long time. We need to be in a position to be flexible in the draft and sign BPA.

Reactions: K86
Yes.

At this point, you have to wonder if coen bothers making a statement about returning. Does it count if all your other options fell through? Not to me.

It's crazy because he seemed more committed to the program his first time. It took a lot for that rams oc job to come open. Understandable he'd take it. Noone blamed him for that. This time feels like he's chasing every job out there, despite weeks ago preaching his commitment.

Stoops and Co need to spend this season getting his replacement lined up. Our program is in a place where we really need at least some stability there. Noone expects a lifer, but you can't have someone after one year (again) start chasing every available job.
If taking interviews and answering calls from NFL team was a power play from coen, I expect it would be to get more control over the offense. It's always been whispered (loudly) that stoops controls the O no matter what he says. None of us knows if that is true but if it is, coen certainly has more leverage for power over the playsheet now. Or one would assume.

Reactions: satcheluk
If taking interviews and answering calls from NFL team was a power play from coen, I expect it would be to get more control over the offense. It's always been whispered (loudly) that stoops controls the O no matter what he says. None of us knows if that is true but if it is, coen certainly has more leverage for power over the playsheet now. Or one would assume.

I think soooooo much of this has been overblown. Do a quick Google search "Liam Coen" "Coen Interviews NFL" "NFL Coen" "Coen NFL offensive coordinator" etc. 99% (hyperbole) of the articles involving Coen looking/interviewing are written from sources covering UK........and almost none (except for those covering the Bears) are coming from the NFL. To me, most of this "Coen wants to go" business is a farce local media driven. We do know that he interviewed with the Bears.......and 2 of the 3 articles I just read about him doing so mentioned him as an outside chance.

These are the highlights I would like the see the Titans hit before the draft. As of right now they have the 3rd largest cap space at ~$74 million......and the 4th youngest roster.

1. Sign a stellar OL coach. Mike Munchak has voiced the opinion that he'd come back to Nashville.....and Bill Callahan has the obvious connection.

2. Sign at least 2 or more quality OL starters.

3. Resign Henry. I would NOT ask him for a discount. His salary last yr was $12.5 million. His current market value according to Spotrac is $4.3 million. While, he'll likely get paid greater than $4.3m, he likely won't get anywhere close to $12.5m that he got last yr. If he has a good OL in front of him he has 1-2 more 1,000 yd seasons left in him. They already have an all-purpose back in Spears. Sign Henry with a 2-3 yr incentive laden deal, let him sell tickets, let him stack the box, let him take pressure off Levis as he develops, let him finish his career in Tennessee, etc.

4. Sign guys to fill in gaps. For example, we're losing Autry. Autry is coming off the best season of his career with 11.5 sacks. We're gonna lose some production here. We also haven't had a nice shut down corner in a long time. We need to be in a position to be flexible in the draft and sign BPA.

Agree overall. Rumor is Henry wants a Super Bowl shot before he's done and don't see that here. Money talks though.

Agree overall. Rumor is Henry wants a Super Bowl shot before he's done and don't see that here. Money talks though.

I've heard that as well. Realistically the majority teams that are in position to win a SB over the next few yrs already have a RB in place. So, really, it's the middle of the road teams that will look for his services. The Titans have potential this off-season to move easily into this middle group.......maybe even upper 1/3rd of the league if things fall right. I just pray they don't low ball him an offer trying to get a home discount. I hate that crap.

I think soooooo much of this has been overblown. Do a quick Google search "Liam Coen" "Coen Interviews NFL" "NFL Coen" "Coen NFL offensive coordinator" etc. 99% (hyperbole) of the articles involving Coen looking/interviewing are written from sources covering UK........and almost none (except for those covering the Bears) are coming from the NFL. To me, most of this "Coen wants to go" business is a farce local media driven. We do know that he interviewed with the Bears.......and 2 of the 3 articles I just read about him doing so mentioned him as an outside chance.
Yes sir, and local fandom fools have jumped on the media hype train...SMH

Reactions: satcheluk

He already ran the ball less than any other program in division 1, despite having the sec TD king who was a top back in the country.

He can't have any more control of the offense than he already has. Frankly he needs someone to temper him to avoid all the insane deep shots while abandoning the ground game. If he can get a bit more centered, he'd be even better than he already is.

All that to say: you can tell by the play calls this is all coen. Stoops would run the ball much more.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
He already ran the ball less than any other program in division 1, despite having the sec TD king who was a top back in the country.

He can't have any more control of the offense than he already has. Frankly he needs someone to temper him to avoid all the insane deep shots while abandoning the ground game. If he can get a bit more centered, he'd be even better than he already is.

All that to say: you can tell by the play calls this is all coen. Stoops would run the ball much more.
Tell that to the legion of fans that swear stoops handcuffs coen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT